DSL vs CABLE

btw. you know you can trunk those 2 connections and use both at the same time.. .your signal will be routed via one of them. But then, you also need to pay for 2 internet connections....

Well I will have both for a month and I'm droppin cable, but how would you do that?

isnt DSL also faster the closer you are to the central node?

Anyways... cable has way more potential.... you wont notice the potential unless you live in a "city".. where the cable is ten times faster that  "country cable" 

For instance my cable is only 512k download and i live in a small town.  However if i lived in a big town like LA or New York  .. their cable is like 3000k  aka 3MB download.

Massively different.  The bigger the city.. the better their equipment.. and the more traffic they can handle.  A friend of mine lives in Raleigh and he gets amazing speeds.

So DSL may be better in in the short run .. but over time cable will slowly become the dominant provider unless DSL finds a way to upgrade massively.

Well I will have both for a month and I'm droppin cable, but how would you do that?

You will need a computer setup as a router, or a router with 2 WAN uplinks..  .although if you just keep the 2 connections for a few weeks. It might not be worth the trouble of setting it up. Easiest way to do it is a Windows server with 3 ethernet cards. . make a router out of that.

Cable is not just fast in cities. I live in a really remote part of The Netherlands, got 8mb down and 2 up on my cable, and 4mb down and 1 up on DSL. Unless I get a SDSL which would give me 8 down. . but then I have to pay the fiber to my home. . .which i am not really planning to do.

Next to that. In a few weeks time I will get an 100mb Cable connction. Just a test for now. . but still not bad for the country side.

Not all internet connections here are high tech. . although we have a number of test projets that are really . . nice.. :)

One of our cities ( Eindhoven ) has a fiberoptic network ring in it's center as an example.. .you can get connected to it if you want.

hehe well in USA its a little different.  We only got the cable service 2 years ago so its fairly new and they havent invested in the best equipment as of yet... whereas in the bigger cities they have.

I guess you nederlanders are high tech. :)

I thought in America you guys had cable for many, many years...I thought that was old stuff to you guys, or was that only for TV ?

We have had internet on Cable for about 2-3 years, I think.

Also, I thought we in the UK lagged well behind the rest of the world in speeds, but if you guys can get 3Mb in city, thats the same as us !

Also, I think cable has bigger reach, although I am not certain.

And DLS has contension ratios, similar to the sharing of cable gryp mentioned. But this seems to have less effect on internet then cable.

Also heres where the bullshit factor comes into play, Adelphia cable told me several times from the office to the tech. that installed it btw I had to show this guy how to plug in the Cat-5 correctly and the NIC card. really he had no clue it seemed other than drilling a hole throught the wall for a cable to go through. Anyway Adelphia tells me it will be 8 times faster than the DSL I currently had. I mean c'mon, 8x faster than 1.6/512 as if.

Now the only things that bugs me about Bellsouth's DSL is on their fast access site for testing your speed it has 2 speedometers in like a cartoonish form for its test that always jumps to the excact speed your suppose to get and advertised, at any given time. Rather funny after doing real tests and getting all the facts of it.  But at the very least, this is cool as hell having a cable and dsl available for use at anytime.hehe, And a good learning experience first hand for both.

I had cable it was BS. I got supposdly a 3mb line for $50 a month. but the speed tests care up around 1.1mb. But when i went to dl something i would get around 80kb/s  >:( I got DSL about 2 months ago it says its a 1.5mb line and i get 1.5mb. when i go to dl something now i get around 180kb/s. And i only pay $30 a month ;D

So at the worst he gets 1/4 of his connection speed?

If that happened to me, I'd yell the shit out of my ISP at once!

Here I have 3megabit quite constantly, and I've never noticed it being lower than that.

Actually, it's usually about 20kilobit higher.

I have used Blueyonder for..ooohh, about 2 years, maybe...They always had those wonderful circles then. Maybe before that they had a whale. Maybe also, you have not seen it missing for the last (at least) 2-odd years ?! lol Who pays the bill ?

By the way, I use Cable at home, and ADSL at work, and I like the fact that as standard, cable connects through Ethernet, and the cheap implementations of ADSL use USB, which is crap, as it needs to dial-out. Cable is always-on kind of connection with no dialing-out.

Easily sorted with routers, I know.

Is it that time of year already ? Ahem..."Oh yes it does !"  ;D

Cable connects to my computer as standard through an Ethernet connection. Shure, it is coaxial cable upto the modem, but to my computer it is Ethernet, and as far as I have seen that is true for NTL and Telewest.

So is that what you meant ? Coaxial ?