Misleading Emperor System Requirements

GUNWOUNDS

64 is ok.. but in big games it can crunch on you and you will end up getting laggy 3/4's into the game .... the reason i said 128 is because the 128 version is only 5-10 dollars more....

So yea... you did get kinda jipped cause for 5-10 bucks more you coulda had double the memory and peformance... which is nice because most graphics cards jump in prices from level to level by about 50-100 dollars or more.

So a 5-10 dollar increment between the 64 MB mxx card and the 128MB mmx card is irrelevant.

Yea those sys req. are wacky for sure for emp but when I first started playing I used a Duron-700,128 ram, an old 32 meg monster card and I hardly ever lagged unless I was playin someone with a dial-up.  But for 40-80 bucks you can get a nice AMD cpu from  a duron up to 2500+ the prices for those are unreal now.

64 is ok.. but in big games it can crunch on you and you will end up getting laggy 3/4's into the game .... the reason i said 128 is because the 128 version is only 5-10 dollars more....

So yea... you did get kinda jipped cause for 5-10 bucks more you coulda had double the memory and peformance... which is nice because most graphics cards jump in prices from level to level by about 50-100 dollars or more.

So a 5-10 dollar increment between the 64 MB mxx card and the 128MB mmx card is irrelevant.

Here's a few aditional thoughts on system performance.

First go here- http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1712.html -download this test, make sure you meet the system requirements. If not follow the link to the 2001 free test. The website for an outline of the product, is here- http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/

Best of all its FREE, and the test is cool to watch. And there is an online results browser so you can compare your results with other systems similarly configured. All you have to do is create a profile like you do here. And you can also save the results in a file for comparison, this way if you change something, like a video card or drivers, you can see if the results are a benifit or not. One word of caution, it is a large download.

Then go here -

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm  -READ THIS THOROUGHLY, and set up a game configuration. If you follow the steps EXACTLY as outlined it's not hard at all, just takes a little time. You would be amazed at how much crap is running in the background sucking up your resources. WAY more than you will see if you just hit ctrl- alt- del. and randomly end processes.

Some of you might find this to be a low budget way to boost the performance marginal systems, because I know a lot of the community is younger and might not have the financial resources to just go out and buy new equipment.

And one thought on Gunwounds recommendations, yes the GeForce 4 would be a cheap step up from onboard graphics, they really don't benchmark all that well, my nephew has one in a P4 1.5 ghz machine and my GeForce fx series in my althon system ate its lunch BIG TIME in the benchmarks. My point is with the new PCI express cards coming out, the price on the fx series should drop even more, and they are not too expensive now, I think I paid around $100. for my  XFX brand FX5700.

Well I still say get a better CPU, since it is the cheapest upgrade to buy (at newegg anyway) vs memory.  Then go for memory or replace what ya got with DDR memory. Memory well a good amount of it anyway will be higher in price for a few sticks. And i'm basing that on around(512ddr.)

It's just plain cheaper to go new CPU, for a great boost.

Yes generally faster is better, however do your homework!! If your Puter was shipped with a MOBO that was at the end of it's line- (meaning it already had the fastest processor it could handle) you might wind up just giving yourself a headache, as returning stuff is generally a pain in the ass.  Same goes for the memory, is the mobo designed for ddr sd ram or not? Most MOBO manufacturers will list specs, and upgrade compatabilities, as will ram manufacturers.

Yes, then I would agree with you, so long as the person has enough 'Puter savvy to know after they drop it in, to get into the bios and change the multiplier so you don't wind up with a mis- match between the cpu clock speed and the memory clock, and wind up inadvertantly overclocking or underclocking the cpu. Especially with the budget mobo's.

I think the 128 mb versions of the MX are useless, as the MX isn't fast enough to use all that memory anyway.

I bought the Ti 4200 64 mb because it was cheaper than the 128 mb version and had faster RAM.

Even if the 128 MB Geforce 4 MMX card only uses 90MB of its 128MB memory that is still better than the 64 MB card

And voodoo daddy you are correct that the MMX cards are not the best cards in the world... however you dont need the best card in the world to play emperor... and emperor does not have directx 9 features and it does not have pixel shading ..... so there is no reason to pay double the cash to buy an FX card that does directx 9 and pixel shading

I think along the same lines as you do with ram, be it system or graphics, more is probably better.

Its a proven fact that a  slower CPU  + More RAM  will perform equal to or faster than a faster CPU with less RAM.

So yes RAM is a big issue.  I know scar said that an easy way to get performance would be to upgrade your CPU but i tihnk the easiest way is to plop in more RAM... and if that doesnt work then get a new CPU.