Doom 3 V Half-Life 2

Dunenewt

LOL!

Yeah, i much prefer to let them run in first and get disembowelled.

Have you heard of Half Life: Blue Shift? You get to play as Barney, the security guard at Black Mesa.

Also, Opposing Forces is supposed to be really good. Play as the soldiers that are trying to take out Freeman.

Talking of thinking FPS, don't forget System Shock 1-2 (super games)!

I've downloaded some more HL2 demo movies....and there's nothing new I could find in them: controlable vehicles, helping NPC's, huge enemies - it's all a thing of yesterday. The only thing that keeps being impressive are the graphics.

And yeah all the official HL's are great. The storyline was very cool. The expasion pack storylines were well conected. For example in the very begining you can encounter Barney knokcing on the door and then in Blue Shift you play with him...cool. 8)

What's "new" in Half-Life 2 is the user-interactive world(however, that has already existed in Far Cry for some while now. However, HL2 stretches it even further).

And no Doom 3 demo exists for the ordinary person to download yet. Don't ruin the game and search for an alpha or beta leak!

There's a Doom III beta 2  now available for download @ Bittorrent  ;D Cyborg those leaked alpha's and beta's aren't ruining anything, they marely make the realease of the retail version less sensational. Some guys @ ID  are geting well paid OR are just members of softwqare pirate clubs (Myth, Class, etc..). That's how the unfinished pieces of the game appear for public use.

That brings to mind the "instant movie" scene from Spaceballs.

"What the hell are we looking at?"

"Now, sir."

"What?"

"Everything that is happening now is happening now."

"What happened to then?"

"We missed it."

"When?"

"Just now."

"...When will then... be now?"

"Soon."

But as Rene seems to be implying, it's often possible to get a movie before it's even released in most theatres, what with bootlegged copies floating around the internet and whatnot.

That brings to mind the "instant movie" scene from Spaceballs.

"What the hell are we looking at?"

"Now, sir."

"What?"

"Everything that is happening now is happening now."

"What happened to then?"

"We missed it."

"When?"

"Just now."

"...When will then... be now?"

"Soon."

But as Rene seems to be implying, it's often possible to get a movie before it's even released in most theatres, what with bootlegged copies floating around the internet and whatnot.

ROFLMFAO! Oh my gosh, I love that movie. Thanks Vanguard. I'm renting that tomorrow.

Actually the first "thinker" game was Strife which was the last game made to use the Doom engine. You interacted with characters, dialogue that you chose actually impacted the game, their was a fully fleshed out story involving a resistance movement taking on a well equipped religious government that are ruling over the remnants of the human race. It was a very good and innovative game but came out at on of those bad transitional phases in gamingdom, and so got ignored. If you are ever interested in it you can download it at www.the-underdogs.org but you need DOS to run it (I think I might be wrong). Oh yeah, the Sigil is the best weapon in any shooter game, EVER.

Strife is (not was - is) one of my favourites.  The dialogue was very well-done, and the game overall was amazing.  Governor Maurel was one of the neatest characters in the game.

"First, they slaughter thousands.  Now, they want all able-bodied peasants for unspecified... 'tests'... How does the Order expect me to keep the peace?  What the hell do you want?"

Keep in mind though, that there were earlier games that featured similar "thinker" storylines.  CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (another favourite) was similar in many respects, although you couldn't actually choose responses in a dialogue.

Unfortunately, yes, you do need DOS to run it.  Velocity never released the source code, so no one can really port it with programs like zDoom without fully back-engineering it or starting from scratch, using ripped textures and sprites.  Although it seems they are making progress with Strife.

And yes, the Sigil rocks.  The first piece I think it the coolest though, with the lightning bolts and all.

Well 'experianced gamers' (god what a euthamism) are likely to. But ppl who like to enjoy games as they play them will probably take a week to complete, you know... remembering to eat now and then, and stepping outside the front door to remember what the sun looks like. :P

No seriously Crusher, you don't even need to think to play Blue Shift, especially if you had played Half Life and Opposing force. And what's all this eating thing about? One weekly trip to KFC is all I need. ;D

Well 'experianced gamers' (god what a euthamism) are likely to. But ppl who like to enjoy games as they play them will probably take a week to complete, you know... remembering to eat now and then, and stepping outside the front door to remember what the sun looks like. :P

Yeah i remember when MEtal gear solid was new, people completed it in like 2 days

IF they didnt play it straight, woulda been a bit longer or something

innit

BlueShift was short ,yes, but it had a baanced storyline that perfectly fitted with the previuos ones from the orginal HL and Opfor. Also the high definition pack, that came with was very good. I remember it get a very high ranking in one of the german gaming magazines...I think it was "Computer Bild Spiele".