Emperor 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the tease .. (sorry, I feel bad now.)  :)

Seriously, there was a complete proposal with concept art, units, sides, everything.  We pitched it to the execs September 8th, 2001.  It was turned down.. for a number of reasons... most not having to do with the game proposal.  Most definitely due to poor forcasts on a sequel title.

I intentionally did not take a copy with me when I left Westwood, as I knew it would be too tempting to have in my possession.

Much like... (dare, I tease again..??... ah shucks, its 2am .. nobody is looking..)

the Emperor DVD version I found last night in an old box.

Yup.  I found this box in my closet, thinking all these years it was my last case of "Into the Void", another game I produced ..which barely saw the light of day (longer story).  When I went to open it, I a bunch of stuff from my Westwood desk.  This was the very last box I packed, quickly, as they stood in my door ready to push me out the front door.  I just sweeped the last few stacks of stuff into this box, and left.

Besides a couple of fresh, unopened Emperor boxed copies (which I needed, as I loaned out my opened box), I found the DVD version that Tim Fritz & I made in early October, 2001.  It's the full version 1.09, with all the map packs, the editor, trailers, screenshots, marketing kit, etc. etc.  I belive the main EXE is identical to v1.09 you all have, but the installer was rev'd to work off the DVD.

Anyhoo...  I'll have to go see what else is in that box .. who knows.. I was too sleepy to get past the top layer...

;)

--Chris

The other Chris does not seem to be in a mood to reply !

I would also like to see better support for multiplayer online when we play with more than 4 players. I know it was only intended to be played with 4 max, but with XWIS allowing....loads  :O...I would like to see a better way to swap units around. Also maybe a way to put markers on the screen that only your partners can see (it would show up on radar, of course !).

It can be a real pain having to un-ally, then re-ally when handing buildings or units to one partner when you have more than one...

Also....although this might count more as a bug fix than much else, but had better be included in any Emperor:battle for Dune 2 game; The ability to quit a multiplayer game that fails to load properly because one player crashes. Often enough it can need a reboot. Sometimes I can be lucky and get back to windows desktop or task manager....but not always.

It is also an incomplete model, the construction model looks different to the standard model, textures are missing and the xbf is missing the frames that control selection and health (you cant select it in the game to attack), so it was obviously an idea they discarded fairly early on.

I dont think anyone has ever found out what the Superweapon was to be, but the central funnel was obviously where "x" was to come out of. I expect it was to be a biological weapon - perhaps they planned to have some sort of mutation weapon (like App put in his mod In The Destroyers Grip).

• 3 weeks later...