European Union

Yes, I think that Europe has too much heritage, tradition, and separate national interests to truly be unified. These national interests will always be present, and they will shape and mold the "Union" into something rather disunified or inequitable. I feel that a "European Union" would end up turning into a body that would end up satisfying only the interests of the larger states who control it, and is more a return to the Alliances of a hundred years ago rather than a modern political body. Case in point, Germany and France deciding that they're going to "change EU rules" and run up higher deficits than they promised. It does not seem right that two states seem to have the power to change EU law at will. What if Slovakia (in no way is this meant to offend Caid...) decided that they want to do the same? Do you think that they alone could influence such a vote in their favor?

Europe has always been filled with bossy big countries. Prior to Germany it was the Austro-Hungarian Empire and France has always been a big player... You can't just cut away centuries of pride. Europe was forged as seperate states, most of it would prefer to remain that way, and sees the EU as an oppertunity to benefit itself.

EU is a project similar to Holy Roman Empire of Karl the Great. Confederation of many nations commanded by the most powerful. Slovakia and most other newer nations are going to be like some east march for it, but at least I could go to Wien today for free without a passport and buy some manga  ;D

In conception, not in political structure. Project of large nations for cooperation, as well as way to gain influence at smaller neighbor states. For them it has some merits as well, so they don't defend themselves. Those who did are silenced. By strong propaganda today, of course.

hmm, when the austro-hungarian empire existed in strength, it and france were pretty much the only states in europe. Sorry switzerland, spain, portugal, italy, and all the others.lol

by the way I was kidding, please dont freak out about my statement.lol

Slovakia used to be on the center of trade routes, cultural relations and strategical interest of kings. Or we can take Prague, capital city of largest european state in late middle age. It was said, he who controls Bohemia, commands the Europe. We were no border of Europe. As such land was always taken the Ukraine, they even have name for it. And it was controlled by Poland, another country strongly bound to Europe until it fell. Or do you know where used to be Prussia?

Or we can look on more recent times. Two centuries ago we were a part of Austrohungarian Empire, main centroeuropean state. Not some "lapdog". State shortly before the war is irelevant here, as I refer to whole european history. However, when you systematically force nation to forget its history, it will do so. That's how Hungarians nearly wiped out slovak and other languages in 19th century, or Russians, which in 40 years made us to forget that there was an alternative to serve under them.

So, spare calling "eastern Europe" for those, for whom it is made. Balkan nations and Russia.

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/europe/eu1550.gif

Due to a bit of forum engineering (the creation of this spinoff topic), one of my posts dissapeared from here. So I am re-posting it. This is what Caid was replying to in his post above:

Slovakia finally returns to the serious Europe. Fifty years.

More like 66 years. 1938-2004. But the whole notion of Slovakia "returning" to anything is severely flawed, since in reality you're breaking new ground - and Europe itself is breaking new ground, for that matter.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to express my exasperation with my fellow East Europeans who talk about "returning to the pre-WW2 era" as if that's what's happening right now, and as if that would be a good thing. Need I remind them that the pre-WW2 era involved a divided Europe on the brink of war, democracies falling like flies and Nazis marching all over the place with no one to stop them? I'd rather NOT return to that, thank you very much.

No, you shouldn't, unless you want to help Britain and the New European states help create a better Europe rather than the current EU.

You mean an obedient little American lap dog, as Britain already is? I think I'll pass.

As I look into these waves of asian refugees, I would say nearly everyone outside Europe wants to get here. But with Turkey and Marocco - we fought centuries to put them out, and it HAD some reason, so I won't be for it...

That's basicly what it comes down too, though nobody will admit it- Turkey is not allowed to join because they're muslims.

Turkey's only part Europe, but that's not much of an argument, since they already are member of the Council of Europe (a completely different organisation, I must add)

They should make some more improvements in their country (diminish military influence on the government, etc) and then should be allowed in.

I think Turkey has not to be a member of EU. According to me EU is not only a trade area. All the european country share a part of the same history and a common culture (which includes the religion- I'm sorry Anathema). Turkey doesn't share these culture and history entirely.

The second objection is geopolitical. I believe that the world must be divided in areas (USA, EU, ASEAN, the project of South America- without USA!!- an Africa area and a middle East one).

I think Turkey has to be a part of the ME area. It will be an avantage for this area because those areas has to exchange each other. So they must have a country which can play a role of transition. Turkey is this country.