More Dune 2000 and XP problems

scotsman

To the Gods of the Computer Kingdom HELP!!!!!

I have just installed Dune 2000 on a new computer running windows XP Home edition with SP1 installed prior to D2K installation.

The installation appeared to go ok but when I run the game from the disk or icon, the screen goes black and then returns me to the desktop.

I am not running norton, rather the free AVG anti-virus software.

Nyarlathotep

In compatibility mode it is set for 256 colours win98/me and 640X480 resolution, in the desktop setting the resolution only goes down to 800X600 (No luck at this setting).  I put my Dxdiag on the first message but removed it afterwards. I am a little wary about what computer details I should put on the net. In the dxdiag txt file what should not be shown, CD key Numbers etc?  If you can tell me I will add the txt file again which hopefully will help

All the best

Scotsman

If you don't feel comfortable you can email your DX file to me or Nyarlathotep.. :)

In the dxdiag txt file what should not be shown, CD key Numbers etc

are they in a DirectX TXT file to ? I thought they only get send to Microsoft the moment you run DirectX .. but arn't stored in your DirectX file ... DirectX files just hold your computer hardware and driver info, plus a little bit of info about your computer name. That's basically it.

Hi all

Thanks for taking an interest in this wee bugger of a problem.  I'm at work at the moment (8.20am Monday in NZ) but will post my dxdiag when I get back home. I will IM all of you to let you know its posted.

I reconnected my old machine just to get a game.

All the best

Scotsman

To the computer Gods

Attached is my dxdiag text file and a screen capture of the dune 2000 view.

Any help to fix this would be great, and if your down in my part of the world a few bevies would be in order. ;)

All the best

Scotsman[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Oh Hell!!!!

I restarted my computer and its back to square one.  No video it jumps straight into the menu. The picture is the same as the first image. Its as if there has been no improvement with the updated drivers.

Well you could try one thing which I also had at one stage.Re-install your Monitor drivers,this is something everyone seems to forget.

I presume you have the installation floppy disc that came with your monitor ?

If so go to Start menu,control panel,System,then look for Monitor/Display devices.

Once you find this entry open it and right click on it,select properties from the drop down menu that appears.

Select uninstall drivers,now re-boot your computer,if windows asks to install drivers for the newly detected hardware,put the floppy in the drive as previously mentioned,then point windows to the A drive, ie the floppy disc drive.

If windows doesn't ask for an install disc/CD,open up control panel,System,Hardware,Device manager,then select the display again,this time when you right click on it select update drivers,again select the A drive.Windows installer should then install the drivers for your monitor.

If you don't have the floppy,write down your monitors model number and visit the manufacturers web site and download the drivers for this model onto a floppy disc,then proceed as above.

Other than that your agp port isn't active,this you have to enable in your BIOS settings,to enter your Bios you normally need to either press the delete key when your computer is booting up,before it starts windows,or press the F2 key to enter the Bios.

Once in the Bios you navigate using the ESC key and the + - keys on the numeric keypad on your keyboard,look for peripherals and select VGA this should have an entry to enable AGP,using the up down keys select AGP entry then the + key to enable it.

Then the ESC key and finally F10 to save changes to CMOS,then re-boot your comp.

If this doesn't help let me know.

NB:You mentioned in your first post that you don't use Norton has it ever been used on your comp or is it still in the Programs list in the start menu ?

Just a final thought,right click on the shortcut for Dune2000 on your desktop,selct properties,then select the compatability tab, select use in windows 95 compatability mode,res 640X480..See if that works. :)

hey scotty

I have allmost the same system as you , apart from video card , I have nVidea FX5200  :) now that you have upgraded your drivers and got direct x , try turning the compatability off, you dont need to run as windows 98 , and turn the 256 colours option off too , its worth a try.

shy  ::)

screenshot enclosed[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Atomic

I've gone to the viewsonic web-site and will upgrade the driver tonight.  The screen was a plug and play monitor (viewsonic E70) uses winxp drivers only, no driver disk.

Contacted the people that put this computer together for me, they said the AGP port is active its just the information the port is supplying cann't be read by dxdiag hence not available rather than not run or not enabled.  Don't know enough to argue, however will at least look at the bios setting. The machine plays return to castle Wolfenstein, which would indicate the AGP is ok I think?

Nortons has never been installed, the screen is the only existing part from my old machine.

Will try the compatability in 95 and 640x480.

Shy

Will try running without compatability, don't think I tried since loading the new drivers. Do you think you could put your dxdiag in this thread as a comparison with my computer, is it worth comparing?

Once the new machine can be tweeked into playing Dune 2000 I'll be up for that butt kicking.  It will be a bit faster than my P200, but at least that machine plays the game.

Nyarlathotep

Downloaded the latest chipset drivers and bios updates from albatron and via technologies.  This is scary stuff for the beginner. The computer is still very new and the people who put it together have said they will update driver chip and bios for free, yeh.

Everybody

The computer guys did say that by upgrading the drivers will certainly aid in running newer games, but for older games, it will only make the newer hardware more difficult for the older game software to run.  Any truth in this comment?

All the best and thank you everyone for your continued effort.  It wont be a bottle on the bar when this is done I'll probably need to shout the whole bar a round.  Look me up in Gods own country (New Zealand).

you know . . BIOS and chipset updates are things I usually never do. Mayby ones in my whole life sofar. That besides a few times I did it just to know how you have to do it.

don't have to wreck my own PC. . . I am working for about 500 females who don't know anything about computers but seemingly are able to destroy every aspect of te computer consept.. ;D :)

anyways. . happy gaming !

hi guys

Don't know enough about installing chipset drivers and bios updates, so following everyones advice and my own nervousness I will leave well alone.

Has anyone had any problems installing the 1.06 patch that they downloaded separately rather than using the automatic updates in westwood.  Please read my previous note.

I gave up using the downloaded patch and let westwood automatic updates do the job. The reason I ask is at work I have broadband and its quicker to download instead of the dial up connection I have at home.

Shy

We will be on for a game soon. It would have to be Friday 8pm your time which is Saturday morning 9am New Zealand time.

All the best

Scotsman