utterly useless units that need to be patched

Navaros

Block of your base entrances with contaminators very early. i know a good player always gets his scouts in, but this will stop him some time. haven't tryed, could work though. only problem then is that you lose fremen/sards because of holding of enemy scouts 5 minutes... not worth it.

Mozared

• 3 weeks later...

:O

I tested out my Conflict of the Landsraad mod where the contaminators are slightly faster and are almost invincible with most infantry unable to kill them.

Unfortunately even with mortars I was unable to stem the tide when I played the "Save the Duke" mission! I have never been wiped out so quickly!

I have now increased damage for all types of weapon (heavy weapons more than light) and can now get through that mission (just - good job you get some Minos later on to help out) - of course this may mean that the rest of the time the contaminator sucks again...

So I am wondering whether to have two versions - a weaker one for campaign and a real b*****d for skirmish!

The point I was making was that making them tougher to kill (using the Invincible armour and setting individual damage levels in all warheads for each type of weapon) for infantry/units so that the contaminator is useful in skirmish conflicts with the missions, so I am not surprised Westwood copped out.

I was thus thinking that two versions might be the answer (like in Dune2k you got some extra tougher units only in skirmish eg Sard, Grenade thrower etc). However I cant be bothered to mess around that much.

As it is I have done enough to survive in missions and make it tougher in skirmish, but I expect when my mod comes out people will still say it is a useless unit!

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I know they will, but didn't Mahdi post an interview with B Anderson and Franks Sons in which they mentioned discussion with a game company to make a Dune game and an animation movie/series? I wonder how things are shaping up.

• 2 weeks later...