What order to read the Dune books

styx

Well been a big fan for as long as I remember. Earliest memory was when I was at middle-school and parents went to parents evening. I stayed up late and caught what I thought was a very weird film (Dune). Read teh first dune a few years later and then forgot abt Dune

15 odd years later after Uni moved into a shared house and one of my housemates big Dune fan. So I picked up Dune again and then read Mesiah then CoD.

Problem was I finished God-Emporor of Dune just before I got sent out to france on business. The airport did not have "Heretics" but I really wanted a book. The choises were the House prequal all the Bulterian Jihad.

I didnt want to read the House prequal since they were fairly close to the Dune timeline. and the Jihad started way before the Dune books so nothing really being answered/spoilt

So got teh Jihad. First thing I noticed is the completely diferent writing style - trying to write like FH but not managing it (FH alot deaping in his character creations). But besides that, I plan to get Heretics once the Jihad is finished and then finish off the originals.

What would you say is the best order to read the books for say someone new to the series and also to people that have read all the book alot?

One should definitely read the two original trilogy first (Dune, Cod, Messiah, God Emperor, Heretics, Chapter house). After that it really is a matter of personal preference. Personally I would advise reading the house prequels first (HA, HH, HC) before going back to the legends of dune(BJ, MC).

My order would be in the order they were published.

If they do not like reading or find it difficult to read Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune then watch the miniseries (before reading those novels).

Read the originals many times, read the prequels once.

nice,

I was just wandering. I love Dune and Mesiah and CoD are equally very good. God-Emperor was a bit out there with good old Leto going way off the deep end. I was just wandering the most fluid reading order.

I'm planning on finishing Jihad, then the remainder of the originals before going back to the Machine crusade before finnishing with the Houses. Hopefully in time for the final Dune book/s - Hope they kill it in style and NOT just sqeeze it for money

The prequels will most likely scare people away from reading the originals, or at least when they are done reading prequels and start reading originals they may think it is much harder to read than prequels and therefore "I am not going to read it". (being used to having plots, etc fed to them, where in originals you have to guess until finished with the book.)

I see the prequels completely different than originals.

I guess they are good if you ever wondered about the events that happened before originals, but thats all.

(err, I mean exactly what you said after your comma)

You could just as easily adapt the Star Wars films. Should you watch the Phantom menace and attack of the clones before the other 3?

NO.

Read and watch movies according to their published date.

Although watching the very first short clip (ever) of Trailer Park Boys on the DVD would not be recomended as it is not really what it is now. (but is still funny.)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Andrew, read the originals first! It's just a priority.

The prequels are nothing but take-over, of lesser interest.

But about Star Wars, you cannot really compare, because G.Lucas is the original author of the whole saga.

Sorry but I'm a real faithfull and purist FH fan! though I understand some can be fan of everything about Dune...

Yep I fully agree with you all - Read the Original 6 first.

However addiction and finishing GEoD without a trip to Waterspoons  before trip ment forcing me to choose between the house prequals or the legends. Having finished BJ and 1/2 way through MC I feel I have not "tainted" myself when I return to HoD shortly.

Reason?

Well the Legends are soo far before the original 6 and the house prequal that the completly different writing style does not taint the return to the orignal.

Since the legends do not base themselves on any pre-written history/books and their writing does not taint the interpretation of what Dune is (original 6) I dont see I have nulled the experience.

So my order will be:

Original 6, House Prequals  and chuck in the legends whenever.