Children of Dune/Dune 7

Ghosty_Square

Ok, I 'm here just to state my views on a couple of things regarding Dune (no other place to post them). Firstly about the COD mini-series: brilliant. Nothing to do with the previous mini-series that sucked. Of course, if you haven't read the book you probably understand nothing, but for those who have read it is a quite enjoyable experience.

As for dune 7: I pray that it is not ever published because I 'm sure Brian and Andersson will mess it up. They 're simply not capable of writing like Frank Herbert (I say this having read the other dune books they wrote), and they will simply ruin the ending of a masterpiece. Chapterhouse: Dune's ending is good enough for me. Even though abrupt, it is a kind of an ending. And there are enough clues in the previous books about what happens in the future (especially in GEOD).

But they should publish Frank's notes on Dune 7.

We don't know how many notes he left behind, maybe there is enough so that it is impossible for Brian and Kevin to screw up(plot wise). Even if their writing abilities are not equivilent to Frank's.

Enough notes so that Dune 7 isn't screwed? You have illusions Andrew. The prequels and Butlerian Jihad were also supposed to be based on Frank Herbert's notes, but even a not-so-careful reader can understand that they are based on Brian and Andersson's crappy imagination.

It's also an illusion to expect the raw notes to be published. Brian and Andersson are money-hungry and they know they won't get much publishing notes alone.

The msot interestign thing about the butlerian jihad being based of Franks notes, is that him and McNelly had started to write there own Butlerian Jihad nove (it was only going to be one book) and McNelly actually finished two chapters before Herbert got sick. He sent the chapters to Brian, but Brian never mentioned anythign about them, and apparentlyt he plot of that novel was quite a bit different than the plot of the new novels.

Also, for Dune 7, I think Frank was further than just notes, I think he had a full outline and possibly even a draft written.

Or at least that's what Anderson and Herbert claim.

Although then, why the difficulty finishing the work in just one book like Frank had intended?

I am saddened to see a topic on the Tleilaxu axolotl tanks that based its information on the prequels. I don't know if there are many threads like that one and I hope there aren't.

It was a great mistake from Anderson and Brian to talk about the tanks in the prequels. First of all, it was a spoiler of the worst kind. Secondly, it exposed their inability to write as good as Frank Herbert. Frank Herbert had revealed the Tleilaxu secret slowly and mysteriously, contrary to A&B stupid plain revelation.

What many people here probably don't understand is that the universe presented in the prequels is entirely different from Frank Herbert's Dune universe.

Brian & Anderson's books are quite good, but they belong to the science fiction kind. Frank Herbert's Dune belongs to the masterpiece kind.