checking in after a couple of years

Hoot

Howdy y'all,

I bought this game years ago and initially loved it.  My friends and I are HUGE RTS fans (we've played all of them).  We do NOT play online, however; our cup of tea is playing amongst ourselves in a cooperative mode against the computer.  I personally thought this game was one of the best RTS games I've ever played with one major drawback: no cooperative AI in skirmish (e.g., no humans vs computer in skirmish since the computer players would just attack each other and make it too easy).  Without that, our style of gaming was a bad fit for this game, so my friends got turned off.

My question is this: has there been any patches/mods that have fixed this problem?  I came across this game in my CD album the other day and still, to this day, consider this one of the best 3d RTS games I've run across in terms of graphics and unit diversity/uniqueness.  If so, I'd love to play this again.  Thanks!

I'm not exactley sure, but there is something called Apollyon's Magical Mini Patch & Apollyon's AI patch.

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php/topic,12436.0.html -- Magical Mini Patch.

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php/topic,14217.0.html -- Micro Missions

The AI patch can be downloaded here: http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php/topic,12848.msg214323.html#msg214323

Yeah, I saw those two mods, but neither provide the option of allowing computer allies in skirmish.  I checked the other mods that were available, and none seem to be applicable.  Still, I just installed the game for the first time in over 2 years, and had a blast.  I'll keep checking this forum every few months in the unlikely event that a mod fixes this.  Thanks!

no, these patches r for other thibngs....the minipatch gives u an amazing zoom and a better radar (imo any1 need to have it thx apo), and the ai patch makes the ai stronger (in skirmish games only).

but hoot, if u want a great experience, wich is better than to play vs ai also when u can allie him....just come online, u will never played a better game than. it changes the game so much.

bring ur friends to xwis man and have the fun u never had.....hehe.

and feel free to ask us, how to play online if u get rushed the first times...any1 of the hooked players will help u i guess.

KALONY

Thanks for the info, guys. 

Kalony,

No thanks.  My friends and I are avid RTS fans, and we have a blast with our own gaming sessions, and thus my preference is always games that my friends and I can play amongst ourselves.  We've played them all, including Conquest, Sudden Strike, Cossacks, Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, Age of Mythology, Battle Realms, Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne, Zero Hour, American Conquest, Celtic Kings, Warrior Kings, Homeworld, War of the Ring, Highland Warriors, Entente, etc.  Amazingly, Emperor: BFD is the first and only RTS game I remember coming across that doesn't allow you to play computer allies in skirmish.  This is very frustrating, b/c I still think it's the coolest looking RTS game out there. 

Still, I'll keep hoping that some enterprising person will fix this one and only flaw.  In the meantime, I'll try that AI patch and try out some single player skirmishes against one hard AI opponent.

• 1 month later...

I know but it might be possible through maps is all I'm saying.

hmm.. yes... I think .. through a custom map and/or campaign/mission INI settings..  wow...so foggy now... there might be some flag somewhere to make two sides play as one, even with differnt units ...

I think...

hmm.

--Chris

this IS  the best RTS ive ever played , but i just dont understand how can u have more fun playing vs a comp instead of real people?

ive played so many games with some of the best players online and it just doenst compare to the comp, u should give it a try , u might like lol