Sandworms

Khan

This is something that has always bugged me aboput the Dune world. How is it that Sandworms actually survive? They can't have a great diet, if they mainly eat stuff like harvesters, buggies and the odd human. Considereing their great size and the speed at which they travel, they would have to need alot of energy and nutrition, I mean they would need alot of food just to grow to such an emense size, so how do you guys think they survive? Is there anything that they would eat that would suggest how they could grow to such a size and maintain themselves that I have failed to consider?

I see, thanks Mahdi. However there would need to be trillions of planktons to be of any effect, the size thing again. Egeides they would still surely need something to create the chemical reactions in their mouth.

actually nema could be right. Though the plankton theory is stated in the books, what nema stated is pretty interesting. The size of a worm and the friction of the sand would have to create large amounts of static electricity. This exerts gases that the worm can use for sustinance. That is why they cant stop, kinda like a shark but not about the breathing. It also explains why the worms have a flame within their insides. The gases are no doubt flammable and the fire converts the gases into their base components for "nurishment". They are in a way, true autotrophs if that is the case.

The flames from inside are because the Sandworms produce massive amounts of oxygen, and are in fact the only thing on Arrakis which produces oxygen, so they have to produce an unblievable amount. No doubt they create a lot of static electricity, but when the books tates something, that's what I've got to go with as true: Wormsign is jsut displaced sand caused by a worm moving close to the surface of the planet, and there substanance is sand plankton. They probably have there mouths open all the time they are under the sand, allowing the to eat the plankton and recycle the sand.

Look at blue whales. Huge creatures. Eat only tiny fish.

I'd have to agree with Mahdi. Think about how much sand plankton could be in the sand. The worm would need more than trillions per second to survive, but it would eat that much as it moved through the sand.

But when I saw the movie, I came up with the same theory about the lightning. The Arrakeen atmosphere is extremely dry, and Silicon becomes electrostatically charged quite easily. These two things make "lightning" very possible. That is why the sandstorm was used to "short out" the shields of the frigates, etc, at the end of Dune. But again, as Mahdi said, the book only describes the wormsign as being the displaced sand from a worm that is moving near the surface.

If I remeber correctly, sandrouts feed on any moisture they can find in the soil. And as Dune "had" plenty water undergound, the sandrouts could easily survive. By the way, sandrouds don't need dessert, they can trevel through common ground and that means, they feed like our terran worms. The fiction commes when they turn into Sandworms :-

no, spice is just the "waste" product of the communing of sandtrout. They excrete the stuff. and yeah and that is what keeps arrakis a desert. They love water, which is kinda weird because worms can die from it.

Life can live without oxygen, why not water? Organisms all over are adapted to fewer and fewer amounts of water needed to survive, so perhaps the change into making them obligate water-wise, also changed the processes where water is not needed.