mystical lung disease

has anyone heard of it? I believe two Canadians have died from it and a young man from Singapore (I believe) is struggling for survival in Germany. One may be contaminated in Denmark. It's origin is said have origins in the Guangdong province in China, over 100 in Hong Kong are claimed to have caught it. Scientist doesn't know if it's a virus or bacteria.

well, this is what our news reported:

- this lung illnes is called SARS - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

and is caused by a mysterious "thing"

- but its not too contagious (direct contact is needed),

so this will not cause a pestilence-like dease or something

- nevertheless there are about 170 infected and 4 already died (worldwide)

Originaly, the virus came from China, or at least Asia. That is because they have farms and wet dirt, dry and hot air, one could say these conditions are perfect for an organism to evolve in. I was more concerned when one of the national doctors said it will take years to develop a cure. At most: 10 years. This is scary. Why now, and for what reason? If this virus is so bad, then how come more deseases did not evolve in China/Asia? It happened just like that, and a new deadly virus is now spreading accross the globe, infecting and killing people. Anyways, I know these tips, and if you have not read/heard them yet, this could be a good tip anyways (who knows, it is a micro-organism after all):

1. If you are feeling bad after any visit near China recently, then go to a clinic soon and check yourself.

2. The virus is spreading though the air, and close contact (toutching, breathing in same room) with the infected person increases the risk.

I really hope for the good of mankind that a cure is developped as soon as possible.

In order to defeat a disease, a cure is not necessary. Do we really have a lot of viral diseases? No. Yet some were defeated by stopping its spread.

It has been noticed that the virus does not travel far in the air (unlike the flu). Without close contact, people will not transmit the disease. If it was not so, all of the people on the planes would have been infected, not only passengers sitting next to each other. Most cases of the virus have medical workers and their families.

So far, there are over 170 cases, yet only 9 deaths. It seems like the disease does not have a very high mortality rate.

The disease has spread to so many countries only because of the air travel. Therefore, the answer to the problem comes up by itself:

1. Quarantine ALL planes coming in. Each passenger must be set into a separate quarter where (s)he must be held for a minimum of three days.

2. Medical personnel treating the sick must be extremely cautious, taking no risks of obtaining the disease