Herbert's canon: more books?

Egeides

Anyone knows if Frank Herbert, in Dune's canon, wished to publish something like a last book to finish the story, after Idaho's exile? Or was it expected to be an open story? What do we know about his wishes towards Dune?

He had started on writing one book on the butlerian jihad with Willis McNelly (who actually finished four chapters i think, and the new prequel tirlogy ahs nothing wahtsover to do with the book mcnelly and herbert were planning on writing) and he also planned on writing one dune 7 book.

No, he and Herbert wer going to co-write on book on the BJ, and McNelly wrote the first four chapters, and was gong to give the to Herbert to re-write (thats how you do collaborations like that) but Herbert got sick before he could looka t them...

"Canon" jsut measn waht is official in a fictional unvierse. In star trek, only the tv shows and movies are acnon. In Dune, only the Herbert and herbert jr. books are canon. The canon doesn't say what is officail, it is merely a term to represent waht is official.

Well, I think most Dune followers such as I believe a line with the fiction "canon" needs to be drawn somewhere. The Prelude to Dune trilogy, the Legends of Dune trilogy (the Jihad), and Dune 7, fine, I don't think any of those should not be considered in line with Frank's canon. *However*, the minute Dune 7 is complete and BH & KJA start pumping out "young adult novels" appealing to kiddies (which BH continues to speak interest in doing, see his recent interview on www.scifi.com/dune)... I think we will need to start looking at whatever BH/KJA starts putting out with an "official Dune" stamp with a wary eye.

- Neo

Yeah, I know these books... But in the idea of Frank Herbert, before Brian and X-File dude start writing, he wanted a last book to be written + Butlerian Jihad? Then the Dune sery could be considered complete? No Dune 8 after?

A little like Bernard Werber's "Trilogy of Ants" has three books... It's a complete sery once the three are written. So only Dune 7 + BJ were missing? Or HECK, do we even know or is it only info coming from Brian??

I wonder if the son will someday start selling "Official Dune Fortune Cookies" :-