Dr. Yueh

Vanguard3000

I think I posted this a very long time ago, but I figured I should re-post it, since it is a very interesting aspect of the Dune Universe, and I would like to hear people's opinions on this matter.

I've always seen Dr. Yueh as a very tragic character. There's no arguing that. I want to know what you think of him. Was his character justified? Was he right in doing what he did? What would you have done in his situation? What do you think of the way Herbert addressed his character (Herbert made it no secret that Yueh was the traitor)?

Also, to throw a wrench into the works: What do you think would have happened had Yueh not have done what he did?

----------------

Personally, I think he was right to do what he did. Or at least, I can't blame him for doing so. He knew that the Harkonnen's had most likely killed his wife, but the minute possibility that she might be alive in a Harkonnen prison (or worse) must have driven Yueh insane. I don't think I would have done things any differently.

I like the way his character was depicted in the book, I think Mr. Herbert made the right choice by sacrificing the shock effect of not knowing who the traitor was until the last second for the reader having insight into Yueh's state of mind.

Overall, I think he was right in helping the Harkonnens because, in the long run, he saved Paul and Jessica. Since the Emperor didn't know about the traitor, yet was willing to supply the Harkonnens with the Sardaukar (implying his confidence in success), it's safe to assume that the attack would have been successful with or without the traitor. Thus, Yueh merely sped up the process by sabotaging things. But he also gave Paul and Jessica a chance of escape, and survival in the desert.

I think Yueah must've insanely loved his wife if he did such stupid, in my opnion, act. Any child in the Imperium knows that Harkonnens cannot be trusted, so why did he do that? I think FH wanted to show how love destroys people.

Yueah's act can't be called "good" nor "bad" because he simply speed up the process, the Atreides couldn't hold out against Sardaukar( Duncan took 14000 troops to Ix against 1000 Sardaukar and hardly won). Perhaps Yueh even DID do a "good" job because Harkonnens'd surely kill both Jessica and Paul...

This all shows that Dr. Yueh had a very good heart :-...

1,000 Sadukar and x amount of Telixu.

The Atreides fate would have most likely remained the same, Perhaps they could have held, if so there would be such swift acts against the Imperium by the landsrrad that the imperium would be engulfed in war

Yueh is one of my favorite characters. I sympathized with him, and I think his heart was in the right place. He did give Leto the tooth to try and kill the baron in the end. If he hadn't have done it, the Harkonnens would have sent another spy to Arrakis.

I liked Yuek from the start, even if he was a traitor. What really indeared him to me, however, was in the prequels when he reconstructed Rhombur. I liked Rhombur, and he liked Yueh. Ipso Facto, Yueh became more popular.

Dune doesnt leave the traitor's identity secret till he strikes. In the second chapter where The Baron, Piter and Feyd are introduced, they talk about Yueh being the traitor. Started rereading it and I thought it really spoiled the effect. Plus you kinda guessed he was the traitor the way he starts panicking near anyone with the BG way (paul, jessica).

Tio: Frank revealed the traitor to us for a reason. Because we knew, we could hear his story. We could pick his brain, so to speak. We find out about his wife, and Herbert really makes him into a tragic character. In my opinion, it was worth sacrificing the surprise effect for the characterization of Dr. Yueh.

I beg to differ:

Page 27ish of Dune: The baron is speaking:

" ' For myself, I can feel pity towards the poor Duke Leto. Dr. Yueh will move against him soon. ' "

There are several other references to Yueh made by the Baron. I remembered this cause I thought it seemed strange to reveal the traitor that early in the book. Although then I suppose it wouldn't explain why he keeps feeling guilty around the Atreides.

What I thought seemed left out of the prequels was how Yueh got ensnared by the Harkonnens when they took his Wanna. Is that going to be in those books for younger readers talking about Paul's earlier youth?