Emperor Server

I think he means a server like WOL. So basically I don't think that it's possible but hey, what do I know? =)

Yeah...

Not a lan perty.

We are organized a league of one year of duration. We need a server like WOL, no LAN games.

I don't known if is possible create a server...

if anyone knows how, tell me please.

p.d. = que malo mi inglés... :D

*Everyone looks at Chris*

~whispers and murmurs~

"I've got it"

"Chirs quick The children eating Yettie is out on the loose and the only way to stop it is to get WW/EAP to release the code to allow us to host over internet without WOL... Quick hurry before it's too late!" ;)

~Think we fooled him?~

Even though I'm not that fond of Gamespy, I'm sure it wouldnt be that hard if WW/EAP was convinced to make a patch that allowed Emp to be hosted over Gamespy. But then again I dont kow that much about stuff like that... I'm just assuming. ;)

Even though I'm not that fond of Gamespy, I'm sure it wouldnt be that hard if WW/EAP was convinced to make a patch that allowed Emp to be hosted over Gamespy. But then again I dont kow that much about stuff like that... I'm just assuming. ;)

Not difficult does not equal trival. The switch is not difficult and it is not trival. It would take a good chunk of work to complete, and a ton of testing. Both of which take a lot of money & resources, that would not make sense for a game that is not selling anymore. :)

then,

we can't have a server like WOL?

how we can make one? Programming it?

??? ;)

Chris,

can you help us to make one, or not? ;D

I do not understand why all watch with as much sad and nostalgy to the emperor. Instead of that, they would have to try to raise it, to do that people known that is better game than many which last they have left. Also that is my idea to make a server, here in Chile. So that all see the quality of the game and hopefully, to make to the producers of the game to that they do not leave it back.

(i make the traduction of text in a traductor. Sorry... jejejeje :P)

I need a server... hahahahaha ;D

You need to take care of a few things before you actually plan on making a server.

1. Do you have enough money to keep it up?

2. Do you have a good internet connection to keep it up? (T1, T3)

3. Do you have a good computer?

4. Can you maintain the server?

5. Can you do something against hackers?

With a server i picture myself something like WOL.

You need to take care of a few things before you actually plan on making a server.

1. Do you have enough money to keep it up?

2. Do you have a good internet connection to keep it up? (T1, T3)

3. Do you have a good computer?

4. Can you maintain the server?

5. Can you do something against hackers?

With a server i picture myself something like WOL.

Hehehehe...

yeah, man. No problem.

1. The money for keep it up, have relation with the other points. And if we need money, the community resolve this. ;D

2. Here in Chile, the companies give to us a computer, web space and broadband to host servers for on-line games. It is only necessary to demonstrate that the community is big. Examples: http://www.coliseo.cl/arenas.asp (Servers of Quake 2, 3, UT, CS, Ultima Online, etc.)

http://www.frag.cl (many games servers)

3. The computers are cool. I'm sure... ;)

4. All the community collaborates in the mantainance of the servers. The majority are professionals. I, for example, am Multimedia Systems and Internet Producer.

5. The companies resolve these problems. At last, the computers are of them... ;)

The only that i need, is known how make a server... ;D

;)

It's kinda sad and good at the same time to see interest in Chile for emperor, until a few weeks ago I think I was the only one in this country that actually *knew* this game existed.

Anyway, my time as an Emperor player are gone, I've had a great time playing it and being QM champ too. Anyway if you guys of Orion ever want to play some Emperor and want see a few old tricks just let me know, I'll be nice to defeat you ;) j/k.

then,

we can't have a server like WOL?

how we can make one? Programming it?

Chris,

can you help us to make one, or not? ;D

Also that is my idea to make a server, here in Chile. So that all see the quality of the game and hopefully, to make to the producers of the game to that they do not leave it back.

Just so you know, the WOL portion of the game merely does the matchmaking, and offers some chat room features. Once you press 'play' (from within a game lobby), it hands off the IPs to the clients directly, and you are all running peer-to-peer. That is why the distance to WOL servers, or their performance, has no effect on your in-game speed.

You can use the existing WOL servers to match players in Chile.

If you really wanted to build your own, you would want to reverse engineer the messages that are sent when you press 'Play' inside the game lobby, and then write a simple program to pass the correct IPs back to the client, etc.

Also, You should look into RA2 mod messageboards. I belivee there was a RA2 mod group that had already done all this, and were successfully running their own WOL-like servers. In theory, its works exactly the same. But again, not really necessary.

The other approach would be to have your various IPs pretend to be on a LAN, and use the 'LAN game' lobby features. They do not require WOL. I'm not sure of the specifics, but as long as 'network traffic' is being passed to all IPs in your 'WAN' (wide-area network), it should work fine.

Have fun!

--Chris