HHHEEELLLPPP!!!

i need help on something i try to play over LAN and i can never get to the same game my friend is on we both go to "comm port one" but we dont meet, and we are on a profetionaly set up network with over 50 computers could that have any thing to do with it ???

So you have emperor installed on both computers and when you go to join the game your friend started you don't see his game listed? Is that the problem? I don't know what you mean by COMM port 1, that's the serial port not a network service port. Are both computers in the same physical room? If they are seperate rooms the 2 computers could be on different networks. What you should ask your friend to do is tell you the name or IP address of the computer you are trying to talk to and run the ping command from your machine. Something like this:

ping 192.168.1.100

or

ping hostname

where hostname is the network name of the computer.

Also have your friend try and ping your machine. If the machines can't see each other over the network, then the networks may not be connected or they are behind a firewall.

If you have a firewall programme like Zonealarm make sure both IPs are registered as friendly ones which are allowed access to eachother.

To find out your IP, go to the Start Menu in Windows, and click Run, then type in Winipcfg

So you have emperor installed on both computers and when you go to join the game your friend started you don't see his game listed? Is that the problem? I don't know what you mean by COMM port 1, that's the serial port not a network service port. Are both computers in the same physical room? If they are seperate rooms the 2 computers could be on different networks. What you should ask your friend to do is tell you the name or IP address of the computer you are trying to talk to and run the ping command from your machine. Something like this:

ping 192.168.1.100

or

ping hostname

where hostname is the network name of the computer.

Also have your friend try and ping your machine. If the machines can't see each other over the network, then the networks may not be connected or they are behind a firewall.

who said it was emperor ??? i was talking about Dune 2k !!!

In the PM to me, you stated that the comps are in the same room, but the server isn't. Have you tried connecting both PC's with a x-connect cable to see if that works ? If not, give it a try.

PS you didn't tell which game you had a problem with, I huess that's why Number6 assumed it was with EBFD :)

I recon it's not your own network you like to play it on ?

If there is a server between, it could block the signals, althought it's unlikely. Do you know if the network you're on has the IPX protocol installed ?

Thought Dune2000 needed that instead of TCP/IP. If the LAN is controled by Novell software. . . and don't give you much a change ... :-

yes, the problem might be that the network isn't totally correct. Try to move to another server port, a port on the same server as your friend. In that case the connection should be more direct and i think it will work. Ofcourse also make sure that you have IPX and tcp/ip installed.