Fremen pigmentation

Acriku

I've always wondered this, wouldn't Fremen be black, or atleast brown? All that time in the sun, for so many generations would have to turn the pigmentation into a brownish color. But in the movies and miniseries, and book covers (I think) they are all white. Curious?

Maybe they're always "covered" in stillsuits, or is inside the sietch, so they won't be shined by sunlight directly, thus not "envolved/mutated" to brown or black.

OT question, what skin colors does their ancestors have before they went to Arrakis?

Herbert never mentioned skin colour at all, in reference to anybody.

Also, the fremen body is completly covered, and is never exposed to the sun. Same reason you turn paler in the winter, even though due to the snow it is much brighter and you can burn much easier.

The suits, properly fitted, cover everything except the palms (there are gloves, but they're a hindrance) and the area around the eyes. I'll draw you a diagram:

fremen.gif

Hehe. Anyway, this face flap was left out of Lynch's DUne so that the viewer could see the actors better.

see, that is why I liked the original Dune, You had a director who knew his stuff. he made certain changes to the story, knowing that the movie would have to fit different aspects for the help of the audiance.