Kevin Anderson balks at Dune fandom

NeoDevilbane

Here's an excerpt from the interview (readable here: http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews2/03_feb/news0203_2.shtml)

---

Q : Of the feedback you have heard people come back on about your novels, what's your favourites?

KA : Oh, the pats on the back are always nice, it helps you to know that you are connecting with some readers. On the other hand, some of the fans -- especially the ones who are (ahem) a bit TOO involved in Star Wars or Dune -- go overboard.

---

Bah, who cares about continuity flaws, character background errors, etc.... anyone who points out these things are just fans going "overboard."

Asswipe.

- Neo

It's not just Brian Herbert that gives him this great chance to whore out the Dune name (post-Dune 7 "trilogy" we can still expect to see the Junior Fremen Fedaykin Chronicles for younger readers), it's the FANS that BUY the damned books that give him this chance.

A rather apocyphal thing of him to say to an already-leery-of-his-ways general public.

- Neo

Ohhhh pleease ::) if you research that much and your life revoles around it then you should keep the continuity and recongnize when you have errors. Typical just like the writing style of the prequels.

I didn't say I liked the errors, I said I can understand and don't really blame him for them. Just look at all of the mistakes Frank made in writing them, and they weren't just from book to book, they were often within the same book.

A site was posted here a long time ago that listed all the continuity errors in all the books, it's somewhere within all these threads.

Off the top of my head, Maud'Dib changing from a constellation to a shadow in a moon, the constellation turning into "The Wanderor" and pointing south instead of North, Duncan remembering things in GEOD that he shouldn't be remembering (take place after his death), Alia not having memories of male ancestors until CoD, etc.

I wasn't saying that they didn't exist, I was merely pointing out that there weren't horrible things, like "the Sardaukar then shot the Emperor and rode a worm away, towards the East Pole", those examples aren't horrendous and the casual reader would not likely notice them.

Ohhhh pleease ::) if you research that much and your life revoles around it then you should keep the continuity and recongnize when you have errors. Typical just like the writing style of the prequels.

I didn't say I liked the errors, I said I can understand and don't really blame him for them. Just look at all of the mistakes Frank made in writing them, and they weren't just from book to book, they were often within the same book.

A site was posted here a long time ago that listed all the continuity errors in all the books, it's somewhere within all these threads.

Mahdi I did not mean you I was talking about the information in the link that was provided about Anderson.

Idaho remembered a strange child-twins, really: Leto and Ghanima, Paul's children, the children of Chani, who had died delivering them. The Tleilaxu history said Ghanima had died after a relatively normal life, but the God Emperor Leto lived on and on and on ....

that is the only thing I found. It does sound like he is saying he was there, although at the end it talks of Tleilaxu history, maybe that is what he is reffering from at the beginning.

im sure youll disagree but im a younger reader and i believe the prequels were better than the original so i dont mind the flaws. but neway, wat are the flaws. i am not a super knowledgeable dune person but i do know a little. i do know the books are good if they get their own message board. since when was there a to kill a mockingbird message board.