Dune Remake

Davidu

I see there is still interest in Dune(1). Even a WarCraftIII Mod... nice. But what about a Dune Remake using the Half-Life Engine? You know... to actually see the palace and talk to the characters...

What do you think?

Well, it has to be free, it's in the SDK (Source Developer's Kit) license.

About the other thing... Well, I can direct you to www.valve-erc.com for pretty much everithing you need and www.planet-source-code.com for C++ (and a lot more) coding.

Actually all I know is a bit of mapping and some setting up the MOD folder in Half-Life... Using a texture editor (to gather the textures I use in one file)... and that's about it...

I'd love to, but you know... there are more resources for the HL engine, I have almost all of the HL tools an the most important: the UT2003 engine will never work on my system: AMD K6-2 500MHz 160MbRAM

GeForce2 MX 64MbRAM

A better idea would be to use the Morrowind engine. Right now I don't have any tools for this game (lost the CD), and I'll have to find them somewhere. Have you played Morrowind? My maps will have the same tramsition idea: elaborate rooms and hallways are independent maps that will load quickly due to the small size and the game will work better due to the same small size of the map.

I know, the graphics can't afford comparison... but at least in HL I know how to map...

• 3 months later...

There are two dune-mods in progress using the ut2003 engine as well as the morrowind engine.

ut2003:

www.thedunemod.tk.

www.planetdeusex.com/dune

Morrowind:

damn... can't find the link

• 1 month later...

I'll start work in about one week. I'll see if I can get my hands on the Morrowind Editing program.

I thought about something: what did I like at DuneI? One of the things was the graphics. Yeah, I know... 256 colors, but it was great. I wonder if a pseudo-3D engine can be made from the DuneI engine. I mean a 3D shooter based on that Graphics. Some voxels maybe... I can't really say.