DUNE Tribes Game

Tezcatlipoca

Good idea with the mission list. Here it is:

MisList.jpg

The pink/purple star indicates the green arrow... which.. well, means that your list is currently organized in alphabetical order by that attribute.

Basically, the three things to look for are

Server Name: House Corrino (My server. If other servers pop up, this won't apply. Although chances are they'll be named "House " something anyway)

Map Name: "DUNE_"something. Each mission in dune is prefaced by the letters "DUNE_" to separate it from other standard missions (Dune can only use DUNE missions). So organizing by mission type and looking for that will help you find the server.

Server Type: "DUNE base" any Dune server, no matter the name, will be of type "DUNE" This is the easiest way to find the server IMO.

Also note, that when looking, always refresh the sever list. For some reason, the port number I host on changes every time the server starts up. So marking the server as a "favorite" probably won't help you.

I've updated the NightAttack downloads with new prefabs. The caves in the last mission had some funky texture problems, and one of the enterences wouldn't let the larger armor-classes through. Both problems have been fixed.

If you downloaded the NightAttack campaign downloads, you'll have to redownload them :( (or at the least, download the DUNE_NightAttack_04.zip download, which has the updated prefab in it).

I've also updated the server source code with recent bug fixes, as well as support for the campaign map types, so others can now host campaigns as well :D.

Still haven't had time to get them screenshots :(. And no players have submitted any from the campaign yet. But I still plan to post some.

One thing I'm not sure on.

Shouldn't the client pack include everything except the server source?

Or is this because the files in the other downloads conflict with the way Tribes normally works?

One question I had, is it possible to make the worm walls look more sand colourish? Or do they have to stay the same as the rest of the walls?

I noticed the mappack readme.txt file installation is spelt wrong twice and the last paragraph you have "this" twice in a row.

The reason the downloads are split up, is primarily because some parts were completed before other parts. The reason I lift it that way, is because of two reasons: first, so those on dialup don't have to download ginormous files every time there's a new update, and second so that those that don't WANT to use what's contained in one download, don't have to waste time downloading that information again (some people didn't like the clientpack changes/skins for example). Nothing in any of the packs (if properly installed) should have any conflict with the rest of tribes, unless you count the skins being different, or a different load screen picture.

As for the worm... technically, yes, and it can be done clientside (so you can still connect to other server, and so others without the change can connect to DUNE servers without downloads), but this would also change the color of the "Plasteel blastwalls" and the blastdoors. To have those retain their original textures, and the worms have a different one *would* make the game incompatable with the rest of tribes, and require downloads to simply log on and play (which would hurt the playerbase even more then it's hurting now! There's only one Tribes1 mod I've seen that has had continued success with making people download it, and I've seen more then enough TC mods quickly fail to want to go down that route with this mod :()

Thanks. Those typos have been fixed :)

That's what I figured, about the worm thing.

Attached is a screenshot of what to look for when looking for the dune server to play on.

I've found it easiest is to sort the servers by server type. Then look under "D" for Dune base.

Maybe it would be easier for the zip files to act also like place in the tribes folder then unzip them there and they go where they are supposed to. Not sure if you understand what I mean by it.

Also, maybe a standard for the readme files would be to have them laid out uniformly.

The Dune clientpack has what it will do before the installation procedures, while the other readme's have the installation first.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Oh.. Almost forgot.

I'd like to point out that we're looking for people to fill House positions for the game as well; both leadership and membership positions. We used to have more positions filled, but people got lost in the mix, so we have the following openings:

House Atreides: Leadership position open, and membership positions open

House Harkonnen: Leadership position *possibly* open, and membership positions open

House Corrino: Leaderships position filled, memberships positions--refer to leader

Ix: Leadership position open, and membership positions open

Bene Tlielaxu: Leadership position *possibly* open, and membership positions open

Right now it's safe to say any memberships positions have no requirements, except for those layed out by the leaders (Corrino is restricted currently because.. it's more or less the only one with members right now. Feel free to contact me if you want to join it..)

And for those of you saying "what the heck is he talking about?"...

The Houses are more or less like "clans" in other FPS games, or "tribes" in tribes. Only Dune themed :D The only requirements are that you hava and play DUNE for Tribes, and you have more or less the proper mindset of the House you want to participate in. Once we get enough in each, then matches and political manuvering can be set up. Mostly it's just a bragging thing though until we have enough people. Each house also is supposed to (although only a few do) have a house page where strat guides can be written up and such, since each house is played quite a bit differently then the last.

Personally (after having a few "tribes" players that liked the mod, but didn't know much about dune filling these positions) I think it would be cool to have some Dune knowledgable people holding more positions. Makes gameplay that much more fun (not that the last people we bad! they just.. kinda disappeared, and the Atreides ran away from too many battles..)

And.. almost forgot again (technically I definately forgot... until now)

We currently have One server hosting the mod (mine). The uptime of this server is.. quite erratic though, so if you play, and really enjoy the game, and have the resources to help out, we could use another server or two; especially for any european players that don't get a chance to play during the "regular" times my server is up. Perhaps an unofficial Fed2k server dedicated to serving members at Fed2k?

• 4 weeks later...

For those... very few of you... that have discovered the greatness of this game ;)...

You've probably noticed that the masterserver is down for tribes (when you get into the server list, and hit refresh, it gives you an error about not finding the masterserver). I believe this is only a temporary problem. But, if you're still itching to play, I've registered with an alternate masterserver listing. For instructions on how to use this masterserver, check my post here:

http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/88830057/show/431259

If you've any other questions, feel free to PM/email/post it and I'll see if I can't assist you.

As I skillfully predicted :P the Master Server is back up and running. If you used the fix from the previous post, then feel free to switch it back. If you don't switch it back, then no problem; I will continue to host DUNE on both the Main-MS and the DF-MS. :)

In other words, all is well (and less complicated for those that want to try it the first time *wink wink*).

• 2 weeks later...

Or not... apparently there was a problem when I switched back. Turns out I (apparently) can't host it on both, so I'll only be hosting it on the "real" master server (which should be fine for just about everyone).

So if in the last week or so you attempted to connect to the server and.. found nothing, it's because I f-ed up. :( sorry...

It *should* be fixed now though.

Any new takers? :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post an updated member listing of the Houses major:

House Atreides: Leadership position open, and membership positions open

House Harkonnen: Now has a leader and a decent sized membership count, but always looking for new members.

House Corrino: Leaderships position filled, memberships positions--refer to leader

Ix: Leadership position open, and membership positions open

Bene Tlielaxu: Now has a leader and I think has some members (sneaky bastards tend to not let you know how many members they really have), but membership positions, of course, open

I also wanted to let people know about the promo video for the game posted here: http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?topic=17084.0

If you haven't seen it yet, it's kinda funny (although I was in a rush, so there's glaring problems from a film directing standpoint). I plan to do more of these when I have the time, since they don't take much longer to do (for me) then getting good screenshots, although they tend to be just a tad more annoying. That's offset by them being cool looking though :D.

Despite that however, I appologise for not getting more screenshots up like I promised. :( It's been hecktic and when I do get to play for a bit, I tend to think slaughtering those fremen dogs instead of about getting good SS. Hopefully the video will make up for it for now.

I'm still also more then willing to give personal walk throughs for anyone that has either a hard time with a new game, or for any other reason someone likes personal assistance. Even if you're not too into FPS, if you like Dune, I think you'll at the very least find this novel (harhar).

I too am more than willing to give walk-throughs, being a fellow Tribes Dune-ian and the fellow who got his ass handed to him in that promotional video. I suppose you can expect to see me dieing in more ways when we make more videos, Tez seems to have taken a liking to cutting me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting side note: csparts says my favorite map is Spart's gauntlet, and in reality i dont like it so much, the mission can typically last for over 2 hours, so we can assume that it is based off time  :P

For those of you that haven't checked out the game yet, but still think you might, here's a good oppertunity for you (as well as for those currently playing/played in the past and want to participate).

Around the third weekend of June, we'll have a little "fun based" (i.e. not RP/politically based) tourny. It'll be House vs. House, double eliminations (two game losses and your house is out) until there's a winning House. At the end of the day, we probably will do a massive (as massive as we can get to show up!) campaign using the NightAttack campaign, with everyone involved (even if you lost earlier). Everyone is welcome, and if you showup and arn't affiliated with a House, you probably will be able to join a team for the day and play with it.

Basically it's a good chance to play with a bunch of people to experience the game, or even just watch if you don't want to play (or if your team was eliminated early! :X)

If you're looking to try it out, I'd advise downloading and playing a few times before hand to get used to the game, but it isn't necessary. It's not any sort of "official" tourny, so new players that ask questions won't be viciously attacked (or if they are... the attackers probably will get muted ;))!

We'll have more details as they are worked out.

• 1 month later...

After a few days of downtime (13th->18th due to being away, and 18th + 19th due to a problem with my NIC) the main Dune server, House Corrino, is back online and accepting requests in the business of fun! :D

For any of you that wish to act in the next movie, let me know (PM me) asap. It's about 2/3 done, but I've still some more scenes to shoot that may require more people.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to let anyone here that plays know that there will be some downtime in the next few days on the main server House Corrino. I'm not sure *how* long though, since I'll need to wait on a cable guy to get me hooked up again. At worst.. two weeks I'd think.

Now the good news. Once I'm back up and running, I should be able to host it 24/7. Which means those of you in Europe that have trouble finding the server (since it's up when you sleep or are at work/school, and down when I'm asleep or are at/work school and you finally have time to play) shouldn't have trouble finding it to play on.

I'll of course post again when it's up and running.

And we're back!

We'll be running full time (24/7) so anyone looking should be able to find the server (except on rare occasions when I need the resources, or something bad has happened).

That also means those of your from Europe will also be able to find and connect. Although you might want to consider communicating with eachother to find out when you'll be on so you have someone to play with :D (lots of the players from Canada/US play in the evening time over here, which lands a little late for most of you).

In fact, if anyone is interested, I can probably help organize some teams or some such for you guys to help provide more consistant playing times?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...