New Computer Config

Hey, right now I have a n Intel Celeron, MMX, ~500MHz; 62 SD-RAM; 10Gb HDD; 40x CD-Rom; 17" HP monitor; and 4Mb onboard AGP with graphics accelerator.

Now, I have given this some thought...lol...and I would like to buy a whole new computer. I heard it is cheaper to buy the parts rather than a package like a Dell. Is this true? Also, what is your opinion on what exactly I should get for a gaming pc? I was thinking an AMD Athlon XP 2100 (probably less if it is too much), 512 DDRAM, GForce 4 Ti4600, and the rest is not thought of yet. Thanks :)

Hey, right now I have a n Intel Celeron, MMX, ~500MHz; 62 SD-RAM; 10Gb HDD; 40x CD-Rom; 17" HP monitor; and 4Mb onboard AGP with graphics accelerator.

Now, I have given this some thought...lol...and I would like to buy a whole new computer. I heard it is cheaper to buy the parts rather than a package like a Dell. Is this true? Also, what is your opinion on what exactly I should get for a gaming pc? I was thinking an AMD Athlon XP 2100 (probably less if it is too much), 512 DDRAM, GForce 4 Ti4600, and the rest is not thought of yet. Thanks :)

Hi Acriku. I like your signature, very funny ;D. It can be significantly cheaper building your own machine, especially if you cannibalize your old system for parts, even if you want to get top of the line stuff. The cheapest way is to order your parts online through an OEM distributor. I generally start looking at prices on this website :

http://www.pricewatch.com/

You can look at prices for all of your hardware needs there. I would try to find a supplier near where you live if possible. I have been really lucky to have a supplier right down the street from where I live. It comes in handy if I ever have to return defective parts, I have not had that problem though. Anyways, if you can find a supplier through pricewatch that you feel you can trust, check here http://search.bbb.org/search.html to make sure they haven't ripped anyone else off, try and get as much from that supplier since you have to pay shipping (normally) for each supplier. I usually look for motherboard/CPU combo deals so I will be sure the CPU will work with the motherboard. I would also suggest doing some research on what motherboard to get at either here http://www.anandtech.com/mb/index.html?showall=y or here http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/index.html. Both of those sites will go into all of the benefits and weaknesses of the motherboards available on the market. Since the motherboard is your most important component you should spend the time to make sure you get the best one possible for your needs. If all of this sounds like too much work I would suggest going with a Dell or one of the custom PC's from alienware ( http://www.alienware.com/main/main.asp? ). These companies are known for building good systems at the lowest price possible. You get a lot of integrated components with a Dell that makes upgrading slightly more difficult, but it does save you a lot of time and headaches. Good luck with your upgrade. I'm sure Nyar has a lot of upgrade stuff documented on his website http://www.gameheaven.nl/NL/gamershardware/ultimatepcserie.aspx , but I can't read it :-[ It looks like he may be selling systems as well.

Yes, I do sell gaming pc's, you read well Sherlock ;D

I can give you some tips as what functions to look for. In order for that, I need to know if you're going for an Intel based pc (I only sell Intel pc's), or do you prefer AMD ?

As far as Graphics cards go, I would wait for the GeForceFX to come out. Even if you don't want the GeForceFX (which I think you will :)), it might still cause other card prices to drop. As far as I know now, the GeForceFX will be equiped with DDR II memory, which obviously is faster then the DRR I memory currently used.

As for motherboard memory, go for DDR333. DDR400 doesn't give that much of a increase and RDRAM is too expensive and won't be much of a gain if you compare the prices.

Whatever motherboard you choose, make sure it supports AGP 8x. MSI, and Asus, Gigabyte are good brands to choose. If you go for Intel, it's latest chipset E7205 is good. It supports Hyper threading and has AGP 8x. However, this board only runs DD266 memory, but dual (which is again gaster then single DDR333). If you go for AMD, try a motherboard with VIA's KT400 chipset.

Any harddisk will do I guess, just make sure it runs on 7200rpm. And like Sherlock (Number6) said, try reading on some articles on the sites he posted.

Where it ll comes down to, it's definately worth it to build your own system. If you ever run into problems, Doc and Sherlock will be here to help you ;D

If you want more info, just let me know !

Edit: What I forgot, make sure you have a good case to build your PC in.

The cases I sell are from Lian Li. Excellent cases, bur more expensive then others. Example, I build my pc's in this case. It has 4 fans just for case cooling. The 420 power supply (which you need to order seperately) also has two fans and gold pated connectors.. Cooling is one of the most important things in your PC...

Thanks for the info guys! I plan to make everything going towards gaming performance. GForceFX, since it isn't even out yet, might cost about 400$ right? (shudder) Might have to wait on that. But it sounds hot. And whatever is better for gaming, Intel or AMD, I'll get it. AMD is cheaper, but Intel is faster. So at a crossroads right now. That case from Li looks good, is there a price for it? I'll check out the articles in a few :) Thanks again!

zamboe, I thought it already was known that I have my own gaming company. In short, I sell games (PC, xbox, PS2, gamecube ect) and I sell gaming pc's. However, only for Dutch people currently. I'm looking into the possibility of selling in Europe and even world wide...

Well, at least you know now :)

zamboe, I thought it already was known that I have my own gaming company. In short, I sell games (PC, xbox, PS2, gamecube ect) and I sell gaming pc's. However, only for Dutch people currently. I'm looking into the possibility of selling in Europe and even world wide...

Well, at least you know now :)

I'll keep going off topic, sorry.

Selling only in Europe can get your products in to South America also.

Many people here have currently a P.O. box in Madrid, Spain. That's only a ficticious address, because it's actually a warehouse of a company that does the service. If I buy something from Germany or The Netherlands, the store only has to ship to Madrid, Spain and there this company will inmediately send this to the proper address in any country of SouthAmerica, directly to the buyers door. It's good, at least for two reasons, I don't have to wait for the release in America (if the product was released first in Europe) and usually cost less than the very same product in the local stores here, if I can find it.

I've been wondering whether to get Radeon 9500 or possibly 9700, or Gforce4 Ti 4600. What the pros/cons of each? Thanks. :)

According to the benchmarks the Radeon 9700 PRO is definetly faster than the GF4 ti 4600 128 mb. But the price is also a lot higher. Personally i don't thrust the Radeon 9700 PRO much since the Radeon 8500 wasn't realy good either even though it had realy good benchmarks.

The Radeon 9500 PRO has about the same speed as the GF4 ti4400 so I wouldn't take that one.

So to sum it all up. I would go for the GF4 or perhaps wait for the GeforceFX but that's just what i would do..

I can compare technical things but they won't tell you much useful.

I would wait for the GeForceFX to show up.

The Ati 9500 would not be an option, because as Flameweaver said, it doesn't provide much more speed comapred to the GeForce Ti4600. The ATi 9700 however is currently the card to get if you want speed. However, I've seen several posts that people wern't to happy about the support they received. If that was due to their lack of knowledge or really due to ATI I don't know.

I'm personally a great fan of Nvidia (GeForce) and mainly because their cards are easy to overclock and they have excellent driver support. So like said, I would wait for the GeForceFX to show up. Even if it's to expensive for you, it still will make the price go down for the GeForce Ti4600 and most likely the ATI 9700...

hmm depends i guess, my previous HD was also an IBM, nor problem. Now i have Maxtor. Not too bad but it can freak me out sometimes, like crashing when playing a game or something :) (especially frustrating when you are in an online game)

heh, probably.. ;)

no i don't think so.. I mean it works... sort of

Usually it works fine. Sure it crashed once during a War3 online battle, and it kinda sucked that i afterwards had to explain why i suddenly left my friend in battle. But for the rest.... it's a nice HD