No heavy weapons and bases in novels ?

technocrat

Terror, you mean why didn't the harks use a lasgun to blow up the Atreides when they had just arrived on Arrakis? If you read the book, the answer is there.

And as I said earlier, a lasgun-shield explosion isn't always as powerful as an atomic one.

i meant on caladan..... just send a suicide guy with a laser and a shield... let him stand in the middle of the palace and shoot himself..

and if they don't use shields in the desert.. then why don't they use vehicles and more powerful guns? that would make sense right?

• 2 weeks later...

Terror, you mean why didn't the harks use a lasgun to blow up the Atreides when they had just arrived on Arrakis? If you read the book, the answer is there.

And as I said earlier, a lasgun-shield explosion isn't always as powerful as an atomic one.

i meant on caladan..... just send a suicide guy with a laser and a shield... let him stand in the middle of the palace and shoot himself..

and if they don't use shields in the desert.. then why don't they use vehicles and more powerful guns? that would make sense right?

I'm not very familiar with the entire Dune universe yet, but aren't House atomics (or anything that causes similar explosions) banned on ALL planets?

I'm not very familiar with the entire Dune universe yet, but aren't House atomics (or anything that causes similar explosions) banned on ALL planets?

Well, a laser on itself is not an atomic weapon, nor is a shield. However if you shoot a shield with a laster the stuff blows up in a nuclear explosion

well, what if it happened as an accident. If the other houses thought that you would betray the pact that you made, they would finish you anyway so i think they can find it out someway. Ah well, i don't think FH thought about that anyway, and why should he... This leaves us to speculate

They are, but each House keeps a small amount (exceptions would include Harkonnen I think, who have a lot) in case 'other visitors' come by. As in, alien invasion!

They are also kept for a few other purposes:

A House goes renegade, after a vicious defeat, and uses one final blow to annihilate his enemies.

If a House should use atomics, so that the power of the Landsraad falls upon the guilty House.

The same reason 'nukes are held by most major powers on Earth today, Stalemate.

• 3 weeks later...

no, because the vehicles would attract worms.

and nukes cannot be used against humans, but they can be used against non-living things.

Yeah but they can get lifted out by carryalls. Anyway warfare was designed for a universe not a single planet. WOuld they really bother using tanks on just one? Anyway they do use ground cars and ornithopters. Also theres a an article in a section of the main site (not on the forum) forget where but its all about the weapons in Dune and how there used.