Odd problem with Emperor

Dante

I started a game. The campaign played well up until I attacked Geidi Prime. The game ran long enough for me to get quite far into it. And than shut itself down. I tried again, this time making sure to save it more often, but it did it again, after a slightly shorter time. This happened so regularly that I switched and started attacking the Atreides Capital on Arrakis. It happened again. And again. Now it shuts down seconds after I load the game. I think it would have happened at the Harkonnen Stronghold, but the Harks retreated quite early.

My first theory was that Emperor (Newly re-installed on windows XP Professional) was overheating. But even after the computer had been off for over 24 hours the problem remains.

Another thing I have noticed; the maps for all I have mentioned so far are large. I can also no longer play skirmish on large maps, as it shuts down after seconds. But If I choose a small map it plays for hours without a hitch. What can I do to remedy this most annoying problem? Everybody I asked said they had never heard of this happening, ever. In any game.

The suggestion of Andrewabc is a good one. Although you might want to try and play it in Win9x compatibility mode first (if you already haven't done so).

Make sure that you update ALL drivers for XP. I can't stress enough how important that is for XP. I've seen the strangest things coming up with the wrong drivers.

If it still doesn't work, be sure to come back and let me know !

• 1 year later...

Ok, I know I'm bumping up a REALLY old thread, but I thought there wasn't much point in making a new one for the same problem. I FINALLY go my computer (and Emperor) working again! But...

I reinstalled Emperor (twice) and deleted all the old savegames. Everything goes fine until I try to attack the Atreides capital. It shuts down again. I try a skirmish with 5 PC players, it crashes again. It seems to be that using large maps or too many AI players causes the game to shut down. I've got plentry of spare drive space, and a mod installed. But that shouldn't affect the larger maps and not the small ones surely?

Any new suggestions?

What mod do you have installed?

If the mod makes big changes, then it might be responsible for the Atreides Capital crash. Since that mission has alot of objects which don't appear in the normal missions and multi-player games. So it can be that that mod removed some of the objects which are used in that mission.

Try playing the big skirmish games without the mod installed (or with another mod)

alphbeta's subhouse mod, which only gives extra units to the subhouses as far as I am aware. I also modded the Dust Scout unit slightly (for reasons of my own). Nothing else has been changed unless I've forgotten it...

"Only adding units" isn't 100% secure that it will work with every game type. It is just the way Emperor is programmed. But I think adding some units only (I guess you only changed some numbers with the Dust Scout, so that one shouldn't be the troublemaker) will not make the game run so bad, but like I said, you'll never know with Emperor.

You can still try to play with the default version.