Dune 2 - Windows version (my Dune 2 clone/project) getting shape!

stefanhendriks

well, you probably mean the UDUNE2.ZIP file (still available from there)? This is my second attempt, with some more serious matter and way more structured written. Reading the code of the 1st attempt (and of Arrakis itself) now makes me dizzy, i cant understnad i DID understand that code years ago! :D

update: Building of structures and units now works basicly. Placing the structure will be written tomorrow or something. Also added some sounds (like 'Construction Completed'). Will do some more tomorrow, to late now ;)

When i have some real functionality (building a base) i will post up a screeny.

ehm, no i used your exe file, i had to convert the fremen/mercenary flags into Harkonnen ones though, but a simple palette conversion was enough. Oh btw, i used the tileset which i uploaded some time ago to get the structures. I assembled the structures myself though, so my game does not use the tileset at all. I found it rather confusing and i use a different blitting/drawing technique which is not possible on the tileset.

update: added intro (westwood/virgin) and dune 2 (which i renamed.. in hehe, thats a secret :P) title. Simply have to add a menu, editor option and options to change resolution now.

yes i did :) i even replied to it, but my internet connection popped out when i hit the 'submit' button. And then explorer lost my big post :(

the EMC format is really cool; i wonder how much time it took to figure out the format.

and you're right, it wont affect my project at all. Dune 2 is still Dos, it still cant be run on other platforms and it aint open source really :)

thanks. I have some spare time again so you can expect some updates soon. Btw, i added a path finder, there is still a tiny bug in it but it works pretty good so far! :D

I am trying to get the nice harvesting animation in, but some stuff in my code hold me from it. I have to redesign my principle of unit drawing or add some exeptional code for the Harvester only.. i don't know what it will be...

Anyhow, when i got something to show, you will find it here again...

thats some pretty cool stuff you have there. The random() function only makes me dizzy! :-

I do have a random map generator on my Dune 2 clone project, but it is not optimized, or balanced. It simply picks random spots and creates fields. The fields still have gaps; unlike in Arrakis where they are more filled up. I also want a more logical order of placement. So you start on a random spot, and from there you will logically try to place more rock areas and also determine the size of those rock areas by scanning the so far created map. So many ideas, so little time ;)

The random() function only makes me dizzy! :-

It was directly converted from 68k assembler source. I don't know people which can convert it to x86 assembler.

BTW: There was bad usage in my last post but I guess you already sees that. The actual one is: seed2map <seed> <name> where name is the filename of the map to create. It will contain the indexes of the icons (It uses ICON.MAP to create it just like original do).

I have also something interesting here which can be useful to you because it is related to original DuneII tank graphics:

[pre]Turret X: U UR R RD D DL L LU Y: U UR R RD D DL L LU

Siege tank 0 0 2 2 -1 -2 -2 -1 -5 -5 -3 -1 -3 -1 -3 -5

Devastator 0 -1 2 0 -1 0 -2 1 -4 -3 -4 -3 -3 -3 -4 -3[/pre]

Turret Y for Sonic tank is always -2 and for Launcher -3. All rest is 0.

These are offsets used in rendering of the turrets. They depend on the direction of the turret. The "hotspot" is in the center of the graphics. It was hardcoded in the game and I used the "wedge" to get it out. Please tell me if they look right or your turrets already look fine ;)

I can't wait where your Dune2 clone comes alive. I checked earlier Dune Legacy and Dune2 Redux and really like them!!! I even helped TonyD in drawing Sandworms but then he got back to uni.

offtopic: Internet connection fixed, way faster now! w00t.

on-topic: I cant wait to finish it either, but i dont that much time. However, i take it easy and it will be released 'when its done'.

Converting ASM is well,a lot of work! I know some people who wrote/write programs in ASM (mostly library functions) and its amazing how they get stuff done.

Don't expect super advanced code from my Dune 2 clone, i always to it the easy way and probably the first release will be so easy to optimize it probably requires a few releases after that to be 'fully' completed. Anyhow,it would be cool if someone could implement networking for instance, that would be so cool :)