Emperor on XP???

Luc1dN1t3

Does anybody know why you can't get Emperor to install and run in Windows XP with SP1? I didn't install it before I upgraded but I tried installing it multiple times afterwords but to no avail. the game just won't run for me... has anyone else had this prob.? it installs fineon ME but no dice onXP, een after upgrading Emperor... :'(

well, i get XP digest, and SP1 isnt really what you would like to have on your computer

Nightmare on Windows XP SP1 Street: Error Message: Setup Cannot Continue. Please Contact Microsoft Technical Support. (Error: 3E6h)

If you haven't seen this error, you're in good shape. But if you have tried to update Windows XP to SP1 and you've seen this error, you might still be gnashing your teeth. There are several seemingly unrelated issues that can bring up this error. Check the Web site and see if your situation is fixable.

http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=021008CO-Setup_Error

Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000

More Follow Up on Windows XP SP1

The cards and letters kept flowing in regarding Windows XP SP1. While the percentage of bad installs hasn't increased, they don't seem to be decreasing either. From what I can tell, there's still a one in five chance your computer world is going to be turned upside down by Windows XP SP1. If you plan to install this monster, I recommend you do so on a weekend when you don't have to go to work. Start early in the morning. Then when things explode, you have the rest of the day to reformat and reinstall.

Speaking of reformatting and reinstalling, that's what I had to do. A couple of readers wrote in saying that I had no right to 'dis' Windows XP SP1 without putting it to the test on my own workstation. I took the acid test and installed it on my main box. This machine has three USB hard drives, a USB scanner, a Firewire drive, a USB CD burner, three internal hard disks, an internal CD ROM, three video cards and monitors, a USB joystick, a USB keyboard, a PS/2 mouse, and a bunch of software installed. Can you say "cratered"? After installing the service pack I did the restart. The machine hung on restarting. I tried again and again and again. I tried a number of techniques that usually work at getting a hung machine going again. Forgetaboutit. Reformat and reinstall. Now everything works, without the dreaded SP1. Go figure.

Until next week,

Tom Shinder, Editor

Windows XP SP1 Whacks Roxio CD Creator

Steve Kovner writes in about his experience with Roxio CD Creator and Windows XP SP1:

"I found out that XP SP1 breaks Roxio Easy CD Creator and Direct CD. The system hangs when copying large files (happened to me with 24 MB files) and has to be powered off and restarted.

Roxio's web site has limited support for those who did not buy their software retail, but the discussion groups had the necessary info. The only hard part was that Direct CD is part of Easy CD Creator, so I could not find patches for Direct CD separately, and that is where I found the problem. From the discussion groups, it seemed that updating Easy CD Creator from 5.1 to the latest patch would fix the problem, and it did.

I had contacted Gateway support, which had no info on this and told me to remove SP1. I tried to email them with the fix, but I don't think they understood that they should add the fix to their support database."

I'm not surprised by Steve's findings. As I mentioned at the beginning of the newsletter, I suspect the dreaded CD Creator was one of the reasons for my own SP1 disaster.

Cannot Start Windows XP After Installing SP1 and Then Performing a System Recovery Operation

What a mess! We've received hundreds of letters from people who could not even restart the computer after installing Windows XP SP1. If you're in this unhappy group and you have a HP Pavilion or a Compaq Presario, then you might be in luck. This article describes a method you can use to get back into your computer. It's not a perfect fix, but it's better than nothing.

http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=021001CO-System_Recovery

ok, thats all i found, but SP1 doesnt sound like something you want on your computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...