IE failure

Doc,

I tried to install an update of IE. But a get a message like (it's in spanish so i had to translate) "Another program installation process is not completed. Reboot your computer."

I've doble checked and there are no programs with installation problems, besides there are no pending installations that i know, I've rebooted my comp twice and nothing changes because i get the same message every time.

What can I do ?

Doc,

thx for the answer. About your q's

1. Yes i did it from the windows update website.

2. There are no special programs in the background. (only a few that automatically load when the pc is rebooted. (Those application that are show in the right lower corner of the screen, like norton antivirus, winamp agent, msn, winzip quick pick)

3. I have separated my HD (60gb) in two parts, in one part 20gb i installed windows 98 and it came with IE 5.0 so i tried to update to IE 5.5 that worked fine previously.

Now i copy my last message, so you can read what my problem is :

I tried to install an update of IE. But a get a message like (it's in spanish so i had to translate) "Another program installation process is not completed. Reboot your computer."

I've doble checked and there are no programs with installation problems, besides there are no pending installations that i know, I've rebooted my comp twice and nothing changes because i get the same message every time.

What can I do ?

please advice, thx.

Doc,

I couldn't find that folder. It does not exist in my windows directory. I've tried again by closing almost all the programs that loaded automatically, but the problem continues.

Plz advice.

(Is there any way where i can download IE 5.5, in microsoft website there is only the update, that as you know i cant do it)

The reason why I asked what Windows version you are using was that it could not be compatible with the IE install you wanted because of the service pack that accompanied it. [ SP1 PS2 or no SP ]

Does either of these 2 links work ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ie55sp2/default.asp?FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frelease%2Easp%3Freleaseid%3D31770%26PopList%3D9%26redirect%3Dno

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/default.asp?FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frelease%2Easp%3Freleaseid%3D32210%26PopList%3D2%26redirect%3Dno

Thx both (Doc and gryphon), unfortunately the problem continues.

gryphon's links : The first one gives me exactly the same problem. The second and the Doc's link are for IE6 that is not the one i am interested in.

I have Win98, and i have IE5 but want to change to IE5.5.

I was told that the performance of IE6 under windows98 is not as good as IE5.5, and in my exp IE5.5 is good enough.

some advice ?

A few minutes later i tried to update to IE6, same problem.

I wonder if i will be able to update this IE5.

Go to this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ie55sp1/default.asp

it's for IE service pack 1. That is the only version I did not see mentioned by nyar or gryphon. It's a download link which is what you initally asked for. If it still will not install you have a more serious problem than worrying about updating IE. Maybe you should do as Nyar asked and remove everything from your systray (except systray of course). Or you could use a better browser like opera (http://www.opera.com/download/) or use Netscape. Good luck.

Sorry, Terror. I'll write a cheque for copying your idea. Would that make up any of the damage ? ;)

If you just need the update to internet with IE installing anoher browser isn't that bad an idea.

But how long does it take to reinstall a computer ?

When you're not having to install a server, and are using Windows .. 3 hours tops. Keeps you of the streets for a while. And when you take the time you probably have given to it allready . ...

Sorry about that Terror :)

Reinstalling windows is always a good idea. You will see a better performance if it's been on your comp for a while. I always recommend to at least format and reinstall windows once a year or 6 months (depends on how much you install - uninstall and use your comp).

number6, good to see that your still alive :)

Sorry about that Terror :)

number6, good to see that your still alive :)

Nyarlathotep,

Yes I would have to agree with you there. I know it's been a long time since I have visited here. It's good to see you here still helping people run there games as well as web browsers.