chronological order of the original dune books?

rheo

i've read the original Dune book, and i'd like to continue reading the books in the right chronological order. could someone please sort the original six books according to the order in which they were written for me?

Yes, but you can put the prequels before them, if you want to read them. But don't worry, they need to be read AFTER Dune (or any other sequel) if you want to have complete enjoyement. But the order is:

House Atreides

House Harkonnen

House Corrino

Dune

Dune Messiah

Children of Dune

God Emperor on Dune

Heretics of Dune

Chapterhouse Dune

??Dune 7??

thanks!

so Dune Messiah is the book to read next. about the prequels: after all that's been said about them on this board, i'm not sure if i want to read the prequels at all. but if i do, i'll read them after all the original books.

Although I didn't think the Prequels were great, I still appreciate them for what they are: Fan Fiction. If you like the original chroniles by Frank Herbert, then I would say the prequels are worth reading.

But books are meant to be read in the order they are written (i.e. Chronicles then prequels), not the chronological order of the storyline itself.

I was not particularily fond of the BH Dune Prequels. I think it was mostly because I found the books to be similar to Star Trek or Star Wars books. (I know K.J.A.) They felt more like factory churned out drivel than the majesty and potency delivered by F.H. I found that reading the Dune Encyclopedia felt more in the spirit of FH than BH. I do wish that BH and KJA would use the Dune Encylopedia as canon as opposed to whatever they dream up. (ie. cyborgs, discovery of axlotl tanks, character of the Old Duke, ignorance of Shaddam, etc, etc.)

The flaw of the prequels, I think, is the fact you already know what is going to happen- you know Jessica will not raise the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach, you know Leto will not be ripped of all his posessions in the landsraad court etc.

But sofar I have only read House Atreides (of the prequels).

It's not that, Earthnuker. Prequels, if done right, can be really good, even making you feel as though you don't know what will happen. Take the Myst trilogy, for example. The second one written takes place before the first one, and technically we know the overall outcome. Nevertheless, the second one is my favourite of the three because it's so well done.