Dune 2 Redux Beta 1 Is Out!

neonext

I noticed several other bugs:

-when queuing one type of unit and then queing another, it adds to the 1st unit queue (ex: I queue a siege tank. Then I queue a combat tank, but instead of a combat tank being queued, another siege tank is.)

-units only come out of the bottom of buildings (if there is something below the building, units won't come out)

-construction of buildings gets real slow after refinery/outpost (is this a issue with power being down and not coming back up after more windtraps are built, perhaps?)

-when siege tanks (and possibly combat tanks) are near the edge of the scrolling screen, their turrets disappear

-AI players just seem to sit there when playing as blue player (when I changed ini file to play as green, AI attacked like crazy)

Hopefully I haven't repeated anything others have said. IMO, you did an excellent job with Dune 2:Redux.

-units only come out of the bottom of buildings (if there is something below the building, units won't come out)

i have never seen this, anyone else have this problem?

-construction of buildings gets real slow after refinery/outpost (is this a issue with power being down and not coming back up after more windtraps are built, perhaps?)

hmm, it might have to do with the amount of slow-down (noticable or not) that occurs during that part of the game. see if it builds faster late in the game when there are very few units and players left

hmm, it might have to do with the amount of slow-down (noticable or not) that occurs during that part of the game. see if it builds faster late in the game when there are very few units and players left

After playing again, it seems that both unit and structure build time is longer after refinery.

Speaking of the refinery, when the refinery is near the edge of the scrolling screen, the pad where the harvester unloads the spice has a few problems. When the refinery is at the bottom of the scrolling screen, a purple harvester appears there. When it is at the top and you scroll downwards, the patform slides with the screen fo a short time.

Also, I noticed that when scrolling, a black rectangle flashes on the left side of the screen.

if you are building a barracks, light factory, heavy factory, or anything else that makes units, make sure you build it NOT on the map edge. there is a bug which will cause your units to not come out. this has been fixed for beta 2.

i am having trouble narrowing down the source of all the lag. now that there is an fps display i am doubting that the cause is lack of video memory. i get serious frame rate drops regardless of the system i am using.

many of the problems seem to be related to harvesters and refineries, as some of you have pointed out. this includes complete system freezing, which finally happened to me once.

still lots to do, but i'm making progress. beta 2 in a few days.

i might release beta 2 soon, but is only some fixes, better pathfinding code, and build restrictions for units that have bugs. other than that there probably won't be any releases for awhile because i am moving and working and many other things that are taking up my time. i can no longer work full time on this and that has been the case since the release anyways.

i am considering restarting and using my code as a guideline, but this time using classes/oop and multiplayer from the ground up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes cryo went bankrupt but look at all of the other games that are being made in it's place. Dune 2 Redux, Dune Legacy, The Lord of the Rings RPG (go to www.chapterhouse.cjb.net for more info), and Celestial Revelations (www.kaoswurx.cjb.net).