First screen shot of Dune 2: Redux

neonext

i have to admit, getting the tanks to fire the correct direction no matter what angle they are firing at was tuff. also, the shots had to move at just about the same speed no matter what direction they were traveling, and i managed to track their movement for collision detection in a whole new manner i had never thought of before. so yes, now you can blow $%#@ up in the game :). i need to put the explosion animations in still, but the related sounds are in, and it is really starting to 'feel' like an actual game.

what do you guys think about putting health bars above the units instead of on the side panel? (especially now that you can select many units at once)

should i have a similar thing for structures, even though you can only select one structure at once?

of course, this should be an option that the user can toggle on and off...

btw. the vast majority of the artwork is straight out of dune 2, but the in-game interface (side panel) has been completely re-done. i think it looks sweet ;D, so sweet in fact that i'm not going to reveal it until the game comes out :P

no craters or debris yet, but the smoke animations from damaged units are in, as well as the animations for harvesting (sand coming out the back). I plan on adding craters and debris after I finish most of the explosion animations.

i am using the old sounds, and will continue to use them, just like the graphics. i want the game to have the same feel as Dune 2 but just be better.

My code must be more structured and organized than I thought, because the AI coding has been a breeze so far, which is a very different result than what I had expected (writing AI code usually takes awhile)

I might be able to release this early after all :)

If I work on getting the map editor out soon, can some of you make some maps for me to include in the game?

(the maps are very simple, only sand, spice, rock, and starting locations. no pre-placed structures and units yet...)

it doesn't make sense to only show the health bar of one unit on the side when you have 20 units selected. i think i will just go without the unit stats on the sidebar completely.

the side bar is actually the biggest graphical difference between my game and Dune 2. I never cared much for the drab, yucky-yellow looking panels anyway.

Please could you change the apds pictures... those little white dots really don't look right. How good is the AI?

And how will this be editable (eg by ini)? Can you mod the rules or the AI instructions?

1, apds pictures? do you mean the shots that the units fire?

2, the AI sucks, but it works. i want to get this out soon, so i think the AI will be about the same level as the AI in dune 2 the building of a dynasty

3, i don't know if you will even be able to edit unit and structure data in the first version. i plan on making the game as modable as possible, but that will be over time.

you bring up a few good points, nema.

shroud will be in soon, and you will be able to turn shroud on and off in the skirmish menu).

by mounds do you mean mountains, or do you mean craters?

mountains might not make the first release, but craters will be in the game soon.

as for sand worms... well, they probably won't make the first release.

and by first release i mean beta, which will come out before the mid-august release day set for the version 1.0.

things i can think of right now that will probably also miss beta:

- air units

- rocket tanks (including deviator)

- sonic tanks

- gun turrets (including rocket turrets)

- all palace specials

the reason why these things that are a strong part of the game are being left out is because i want to make the game as polished and playable as possible for the release, and these things will take valuable time away from all the fixing and little things that need to be added still.

btw, sonic tanks apparently use the same technique of animation for shooting as the sand worms use for moving around (the distorted image look). i'm not sure how i will add these features, so i really can't say how the sandworms will look yet

you bring up a few good points, nema.

shroud will be in soon, and you will be able to turn shroud on and off in the skirmish menu).

by mounds do you mean mountains, or do you mean craters?

mountains might not make the first release, but craters will be in the game soon.

as for sand worms... well, they probably won't make the first release.

and by first release i mean beta, which will come out before the mid-august release day set for the version 1.0.

things i can think of right now that will probably also miss beta:

- air units

- rocket tanks (including deviator)

- sonic tanks

- gun turrets (including rocket turrets)

- all palace specials

the reason why these things that are a strong part of the game are being left out is because i want to make the game as polished and playable as possible for the release, and these things will take valuable time away from all the fixing and little things that need to be added still.

btw, sonic tanks apparently use the same technique of animation for shooting as the sand worms use for moving around (the distorted image look). i'm not sure how i will add these features, so i really can't say how the sandworms will look yet

That's OK if some of the stuff is missing in the first release. The first release is a Beta, which is a test, which is not complete.

Mounds are the lumps of sand found in the desert which, when you step on them or shoot them, a spice field erupts. Note also that I've not seen any dunes in the screenshots (which used to make vehicles passing over them slower).

And are walls and concrete in the engine, yet?