D2k AI Manual

Cm_blast

This is the manual for editing AIs using Klofkac's editor. Fey and I prepared this manual to give both newcomers and veterans all the info that we have found during all our intensive mapping and testing.

This manual covers all the known lines with plenty of info. Lots of them are still unknown, maybe unused. If anyone find something new or any part of the manual is wrong, feel free to tell us. Thanks!

File: D2k AI Manual.docx (Updated Feb/2019)

Edited by Cm_blast

• 4 weeks later...

Hi can you please make a more detailed manual or video explaining the AI functions and what their used for? what number range should i set for each one? do you have any AI files you can share? Can you explain the different values that can be set for each function? Ive been searching the internet for information on these AI functions but cant find anything at all :(

On 9/28/2018 at 3:02 PM, vincenator5000 said:

Hi can you please make a more detailed manual or video explaining the AI functions and what their used for? what number range should i set for each one? do you have any AI files you can share? Can you explain the different values that can be set for each function? Ive been searching the internet for information on these AI functions but cant find anything at all :(

The manual said what every line on the AI section do. There are a few video tutorials done by Feda that although it's missing information maybe you can look at, but we made this manual just for that reason: there isn't any specific tutorials or info anywhere, so this manual it's the most detailed info you can get by looking on the internet, at least as far as I know.

Here, on the Miscellaneous section there are some video tutorials done by Feda; you can try to check them if you need.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27756-all-completed-mods-and-tools-index-dune-2000/
Those videos may be a bit outdated, but since he talks and show maybe it's easy to start with.

Now, if you have the manual in front on you most of the lines have a "0" and "1"; write a "0" and the AI will do what it's marked on that manual, "1" and the AI will do the other thing marked. But just to be clear; you need to at least understand a bit how the AI in Dune 2000 works, if not then you are tring too far too early. People around here usually start importing an preexiting AI to make a map, and after playing for a while we realice why the AI attack "now" and not "later" or viceversa.

If there aren't any specific number indication on the manual almost any value it's admited (sometimes the "0" will make the game crash), but again, importing already done AI's will help a lot to understand better.

If you still have trouble just ask for something more specific; but if you want to start doing your own maps using preexisting Ais then check this post:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27765-vanilla-ais-ready-to-import-into-a-custom-mission/

I uploaded all the vanilla (original) Ai's used by Westwood on the final mission (both version) for the three main campaing plus a few extra Ais, used on online games (builds really faster to match the human) and a three generic self explanatory AIs. It's included an Exced with the numbers that every AI (file) uses.

You should focus primary on the values showed on my excel file, because those are the most important and basic ones:
BuyUnits = using the Starport.
FirstAttackBuildingDelay = this set when the AI attack for the first time, so if you want to make you AI to attack at 10 minutes, you need to set there "15000".
TimeBetweenBuildingsAttacks= Same as the "firstattack..." but this works only after that value. So if "Timebetween..." it's set to 7500 (5 minutes) the AI will do it this way: AI wait's until the 10 minute mark to launch an attack against the player (FirstAttack), then wait 5 minutes to attack again, then wait 5 minutes to attack again, then wait 5 minutes to attack again, and so on...
GuardGroupSize = The bigger this value is, the more units the AI will have wandering about their base. If you write 100 the AI will have 2 combat tanks moving around the base, defending against whoever goes closer. Any other units builded will be used to attack the human player. If you write 2000 instead, 20 combat tanks will be used to protect the base. <-- In this case most of those numbers are made up; not even us know exactly how many units will be defend the base if we write X number.
UnitBuildRate = How fast or slow the AI builds. The smaller this number, the faster he builds. If you write 1500 the AI will build a combat tank, and then will wait 1 minute to build a new tank. If you write 500, the AI will build a combat tank, wait 20 seconds before buildling a new tank. If you write 1, the Ai will build combat tanks as fast as he can and has money to do it.
HarvesterPerRefinery = If this number it's "2" and you have 2 refinery (thus 2 harvesters) the AI will build first 2 more harvester, because "2 harvesters per refinery" on a map with "2 refineries" = 4 harvester in total.
MoraleAttackBuilding = Hard to explain, but if there are several AIs and this number is low, those AI's will be scared to attack if allied units die. Again, not even us know exactly how it works, but I suggest to write "100" so the AI will attack as normal and nothing more.

So, in short. I suggest you to download my set of vanilla AIs, check the values there to know if you want to use 1 specific AI that builds fast and attack quick or just the opposite; if you are still not sure, you can use my "aggresive - balanced - defensive" generic AI; self explanatory and will let you to know.

But as far as I know, just with those few values it's enough to make your own Ai.
Still check the videotutorials done by Feda and, if you have an especific doub, ask us, but if you still don't get nothing, just use my generic set of Ais; that will help to understand how the AI works after you play the game and see for yourself the big differences between the "aggresive generic" and the "defensive generic".

Ps: just for clarify; this it's only about the "tab section" of the editor, the "mission settings" windown and the Ai's that appears on the right side of the editor.
If you are refering to other parts of the editor like creating scripts, reinforcements, text to appear on the game like "massive reinforcements" or "someone it's annihilated" then this specific manual won't help, but you still can see the Feda tutorials, he cover thats much better than I could explain.

But at the end, it's better if you ask for specific info. If you don't ever know how to do a map or create a script don't bother with custom AIs yet.

Edited by Cm_blast

Yeah man, I'd be up for helping you craft an AI. I've made mine build custom bases in a specific order, use certain combinations of units, defend specific locations important to an allied team, repair those Wind Traps if they're even slightly damaged... so, just let us know what you'd like your AI to do.

It takes a few to get used to what the AI does, but the D2k AI has consistently proven to be one of the easiest and most fun to work with. You can make it do some pretty advanced things with a little creativity!

Edited by Fey

Thanks allot for the info it really helped yea I made a beautiful map I'm doing like a fremen campain, the AI presets you put were exactly what I was looking for now I know more or less what the values should be set to, the values that should be set to like 100 or 1000 I was putting like 1 or 2 ha 

9 hours ago, vincenator5000 said:

Thanks allot for the info it really helped yea I made a beautiful map I'm doing like a fremen campain, the AI presets you put were exactly what I was looking for now I know more or less what the values should be set to, the values that should be set to like 100 or 1000 I was putting like 1 or 2 ha 

Oh, ok, I get it. an AI from scracht has "0" as most the values.

I use those generic Ai's too, it's faster than doing it manually. Then, of course, changing what I consider 4 main values:
First attack = If I want the AI to attack early or just wait, grouping lots of units before attacking.
Time between = Same reason, depending if I want an AI to attack every few minutes or waiting some time.
Guard group = if I need a very defensive AI or not that defensive.
Unit Build rate = how fast or slow the AI builds.

In my opinion, with those four values (importing any preexisted AI) it's more than enough. Of course there are lots of advance stuff to do, but with those four you have a very range of options.

9 hours ago, vincenator5000 said:

I made a beautiful map I'm doing like a fremen campain

Good to know we have a new modder; feel free to ask any other question. Just remember to check other projects to know how stuff it's done, that's how most of us learn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 10:59 PM, vincenator5000 said:

Hey dude, do you plan to make a Work-In-Progress thread for your maps? If you have a campaign in development, there are some folks around here who love testing new stuff and helping to make it better. Myself included!

I've been working on more advanced AI functions recently, like making them repair units or structures that are only a little bit damaged, or construct their bases in specific orders. If you need to get your AI to do a specific thing on a certain map, let's chat about it. :)

• 2 months later...