about the mongoose

Guest girish

BOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yah i know wut a boer is....studied about it in history class......the boer war...u guys lost eh???

took some canadians lives.............but the boer war is important bcause they were the first war to employ modern gurillea tactics

It is a fact, I know. The British won both Anglo-Boer wars, but I'm not a Boer, and you said that 'you guys (you counted me among 'you guys') lost'.

(It's amazing what discussions you can have on a Dune site, isn't that so, Gob?)

A quick rundown of the Afrikaans pronouns (Afrikaans - voornaamwoorde) is in order for our new Afrikaans fans.

ek - I, me

jy - you (subject)

jou - you (object), your

ons - we, us

julle - you (plural)

hulle - them

hy - he

sy - his, she

haar - her

I don't know if I'd call it a simple language. (Of course, this depends to which languages you are comparing it. If you are comparing it to Latin it's simple, but then again, so is English (compared again to Latin, that is).) It's probably easier to learn than English, because Afrikaans sticks to its rules, unlike English which has exceptions to every rule.

Declensions? Yes, to a certain degree. It has the masculine and feminine forms of nouns, if that's what you're specifically refering to. One common mistake (for people whose home language is not Afrikaans (a group of which I am part)) is to mix up "hy" and "sy". Hy means he. (Hy is Peter - He is Peter.) Sy means his or she. (Sy is Mary - She is Mary; Sy naam is Peter - His name is Peter.)

Afrikaans does not have a different form of the verb for denoting the plural form. (Dit is daar - It is there; Hulle is hier - They are here.)

However, as I have said before I do not know enough about Afrikaans, since I've only studied it as a second language.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...