Revive the chatroom!

Calthazar

We used to have an IRC room but I don't know what happened to it.

No one used it.. ;-)

I've been back on IRC last week after 2 years (had to be there due to some data-center problems) and it's like the 80's all over again. One minute after you have entered and already you are overloaded with por* and cheap sites. That's it for me, IRC and the next 2 years...

No one used it.. ;-)

I've been back on IRC last week after 2 years (had to be there due to some data-center problems) and it's like the 80's all over again. One minute after you have entered and already you are overloaded with por* and cheap sites. That's it for me, IRC and the next 2 years...

I've been on IRC for the past 13 years, and most of what you experience is just lack in knowledge.

Not every server is 'suitable' for your average channel, most networks are aimed towards a particular purpose (QuakeNet being the most known for it's counter-strike followers, ColdFront for it's support by a select few games, like EVE Online)... by picking a server that's got the right policies, the right target audience will help a great deal.

Also, with the introduction of IRC-Services (Q/L on QuakeNet, ChanServ/NickServ/OperServ on others), a lot of the spam/crap has been easier to control for those responsible for the network.

also, sites as posted below are prone to spam, mainly due to the obvious of a lack of protection, more and more of those sites shut down due to the amount of abuse they are receiving, and a lack of functionality to prevent said abuse.

If people are interested, the folks who follow the OpenDUNE project hang out on OFTC, in #OpenDUNE .. I've secured the channel #fed2k there as well, in case people are interested in hanging out there.

[edit] bit silly to not post the full details:

server: irc.oftc.net

channel: #fed2k (or #OpenDUNE )

Also, for those interested, there's a web-based IRC client, www.mibbit.com .. you can connect to most IRC Servers with that ... as said, the OpenDUNE lot are on irc.oftc.net at #OpenDUNE .. I've created a #fed2k for those interested to chat there.

• 3 months later...

Also, for those interested, there's a web-based IRC client, www.mibbit.com .. you can connect to most IRC Servers with that ... as said, the OpenDUNE lot are on irc.oftc.net at #OpenDUNE .. I've created a #fed2k for those interested to chat there.

This is up and running now, anyone else care to join us?