D2TM Progress

stefanhendriks

BSOD? Didnt see that happen once. Try to see if it happens all the time if you play it. I'd like to hear from others about it too.

Thanks for playing ;)

The harvesters are a PITA atm. But I will focus on units soon and refactor the Harvesters with them. Hopefully they will behave as i'd like to soon. Refactoring units is a big chunk of work though.

What did you think of the new sidebar, and controls?

At first, I aim for the fixed 800x600 resolution. But, eventually it should be optional. However, the given options will be limited to preserve a certain sense of gameplay. Ie, if you scale up all the way to HD you might just see the entire map in one screen. There has to be a limit somewhere, but what that is, i'm not sure yet. :) But, thats the great thing of releasing often and early. We can toy around and see what works best.

The scaling is an option indeed. Actually that has been done by hand, because 16x16 to 32x32 became quite ugly. But 32x32 enhanced by hand to 64x64 using a scaling algorithm is a nice idea actually. I'd have to make some adjustments how things are drawn now. Because basically right now all sprites drawn are directly from the DAT files (references in memory). So, if I'd like to make enhancements, i will probably need to load up everything in memory first, then make adjustments, and use these copied bitmaps to draw stuff. Not very hard to do, but it takes time ;)

To look cool there will be a need for redrawing all sprites, and this is an enormous task that needs dozens of artists-out of question for this project. Of course scaling is the only option for fixed res. monitors, aka LCDs, LEDs to go full screen. In my old CRT I am happy with 800x600. Dune 2000 was less and it looked ways more better than Dune 2. Now there is an issue with multiple resolutions as you said. Even menus will have to be different and this again requires much work to maintain. I 'd rather say 800x600 and one of the 2: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (needs a lot of discussion and research to see which will prevail. 1080 seems to be on most monitors nowadays but 1200 is 600x2 and so is just a x2 scaling as the game is not isometric-otherwise it would need more code and hard work).