What Anti-Virus are you running?

I am trying to update the info on this site to make it easier for newcomers to get online and play. So I am weeding out outdated information. Specifically, I need to know if ANY of the online players are running Norton/Symantic Anti-Virus, or if not, what kind is running on your gaming computer.

Thanks in advance,

Voodoo 

I am trying to update the info on this site to make it easier for newcomers to get online and play. So I am weeding out outdated information. Specifically, I need to know if ANY of the online players are running Norton/Symantic Anti-Virus, or if not, what kind is running on your gaming computer.

Thanks in advance,

Voodoo 

i never use any anti virus program because it makes computer too slow..

About six years ago I installed NAV on a comp that already had Emperor installed, and after that it wouldn't work. After running the emp exe, nothing happened. I uninstalled Norton and that was that. I got a newer computer not too long after and both were installed simultaneously for a couple years with no problems. I'm not sure what made one of them work and not the other.

On my newer computer, I used AVG for a while, but I got rid of that when I got Steam and they conflicted. AVG never caused any problems with Emperor, but I guess I can't speak for the newest version.

Now I have Zone Alarm's free firewall and no anti-virus. I've never had any problems and I don't expect to. I run a scan with spybot every... year or so, and it finds up to 60 things that don't appear to be doing any harm. I think the best thing I ever did for my computer's performance & security was to go through every process in the task manager one at a time and uninstall or disable everything that wasn't either a core part of windows or something I could identify and specifically wanted running. It's a chore but some XP computers with 60+ processes running can REALLY improve their performance from this. I only have 19-21 startup processes now.

Thanks goodevil1, this is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I am going to compile a list of good / known to co-exist Anti virus/firewall programs.

Here is some info that you might find useful with your services, you are on the right track but here are easy ways to keep the functionality of your stock system, while retaining good gaming performance.

1- The way for guys who like to tinker with settings- Make Hardware Profiles, then use this guide-

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

2- The easy way. Download this easy to use tool-http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml

Then use the above guide to make a Emperor/gaming profile.

TO everyone else- You don't have to be a tech geek to post in this thread. So long as you play Emperor, just tell me what Anti-Virus you are running.

Fdisk/Format.exe, AVscanners are poison!!

Add Cd/Dvdrom Protection driver "Starforce" to the list though..

Needs a special tool to remove this pest! 

even comes with games like trackmania nations even though it doesnt need a disc..

-prevents ebfd from loading - ie u will see splash then it closes both executables

Nav from systemworks 2k3 has issues also

-loads emp fmv's then closes when it tries to load main menu-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...