Olympic Medal Count or GO Canada GO!!!

Tatar Khan

I'm sure that was all fascinating and terribly relevant but I just can't be bothered to read it at the moment. Maybe later. Probably not.

I was talking with a Japanese friend last night and we had a good laugh about how it seems like the athletes in events like pingpong (or table tennis or whatever you call it) are ALL Chinese. They're not good enough to get on the Chinese team but they're better than the foreign competition so they run off and establish residency abroad and participate under the flags of other countries. Evidently there's a bit of resentment among the native athletes in some cases?

Kinda turns the nationalistic bullshit of the games on its ear, so I'm all for it! :D

Jia you, Zhongguoren! Oil 'em up, Chinamen! :P

I really couldn't care less about the Olympics, and the same goes for most people I know. Like some other events (like tour-de-france) the sport itself suffers from being such a high-profile event and the fact that medal score is being treated as a national penis measurement.

I really couldn't care less about the Olympics, and the same goes for most people I know. Like some other events (like tour-de-france) the sport itself suffers from being such a high-profile event and the fact that medal score is being treated as a national penis measurement.

Haha, that is so damn true.The last time I really was even envolved with the olympics at all was back in 84'.And the reason was Mcdonalds was giving out these little tickets and if the U.S. got a gold at something you could get a free big mac.After the U.S. pretty much owned everything with a gold I can't remember just how many free meals I got but it was a shitload...man I bet mcdonalds took a blow from that little venture.Going through the drive through and ordering 3 free big macs after school for about a few months was awesome.  ;D

After looking around I found it at Wiki too cool.. 

"McDonald's ran a promotion entitled "When the U.S. Wins, You Win" where customers scratched off a ticket and if the U.S. won that event then they would be given a free menu item: a Big Mac for a gold medal, an order of french fries for a silver medal, and a Coca-Cola for a bronze medal. The promotion became a near financial disaster due to the Soviet boycott which led to the U.S. winning far more Olympic medals than expected.[6]

This promotion was parodied in the Simpsons episode "Lisa's First Word", where Krusty Burger runs a similar offer. The promotion was intended to be rigged so that prizes would only be offered in events dominated by the Eastern Bloc, but the Soviet-led boycott causes Krusty to personally lose 44 million dollars. He vehemently promises "to spit in every fiftieth burger", to which Homer retorts "I like those odds!" Chief Wiggum also exclaims that he could kiss Carl Lewis, who won four gold medals at the Games.

The games were mentioned at beginning of the game show, Press Your Luck since the show was based in California and several Olympic-Themed Whammies would appear if a player stopped the board on them including one carrying the Olympic Torch among others."

After looking around I found it at Wiki too cool..

"McDonald's ran a promotion entitled "When the U.S. Wins, You Win" where customers scratched off a ticket and if the U.S. won that event then they would be given a free menu item: a Big Mac for a gold medal, an order of french fries for a silver medal, and a Coca-Cola for a bronze medal. The promotion became a near financial disaster due to the Soviet boycott which led to the U.S. winning far more Olympic medals than expected.

Haha, that's great!

I remember that Simpsons epidsode...