At least 189 secret satellites in orbit around Earth

A good part of the satellites are for military communication.

The other part is for public use, such a GPS, television, etc.

I don't know if some satellites have weapons to shoot down other satellites, but it would be useless.

Nowadays satellites can be shot down easely from ground, both China and America already "publicly" showed it.

Well actually GPS satellites are also spy satellites, since they contain the photographing equipment, however I am sure there is a back up for them is they go down. And I am sure other countries have them too, European space agency and Russian space agency are in process of creating their own networks.

The Pentagon was smart to let GPS satellites be used for public use, that way they are more protected from being shot down. You shoot them down and you cripple yourself.

Yes indeed, shoot satellites down.

China and USA both shot one of their own satellites to show they could do it.

When USA did it, everyone was surprised. When China did it, everyone was disgusted and the USA even asked an explanation from the Chinese for it.

Russia hasn't done that so far (at least not publicly).

Shooting satellites down is very usefull to cripple communication systems and can be used to one advantage.

The USA relies alot more on satellites then China so the effect would be devastating.

While its true that shooting someone else satellites down is an act of war, shooting one of your satellites down is a proof of concept and power.

And with China rising to be very strong lately they aren't afraid anymore to show their muscle abit.