South Africa

Indeed, the power shortages ARE annoying by the least and the concerns are great.

Supposedly, Eskom had known this point would arrive from some time back and haf requested funding from the government. Unfortunately, our government is full of the kind of jack-@$$e$ who are convinced that HIV does not lead to AIDS (one of the more notable embarassments of our ruling party) and whatnot so of course this funding was not forthcoming.... now, were suffering a power outages  ::), and much will be wasted as described in the report  ::).

I feel sad because boom like the one being currently experienced in mining would really help South Africa out. This is like a small version of the boom that oil exporters are feeling right now. So if I was in the government I'll be tearing my heart out because of the missed opportunity, a boom like this doesn't happen often, heck this is a unique boom since it is caused by the fact that many mining companies did work many new sites marked for exploration because nobody expected this boom. The result is that there is shortage if supply and it would take years to launch the new sites so anyone who has already working mines are feeling the wealth boom right now.

''I feel sad because boom like the one being currently experienced in mining would really help South Africa out. This is like a small version of the boom that oil exporters are feeling right now. So if I was in the government I'll be tearing my heart out because of the missed opportunity''

Needless to say I can emphasize with that. Although, our new president... the ''esteemed'' Jacob Zuma is probably to busy fixing the cases of rape and corrupt dealings (as in, confirmed illegal dealings involving national resources from before he was president) with weapon companies and whatnot.

Actually, I suspect that most people in SA will now flee at the first sign of trouble as this guy has basically got the record of any other hardcore criminal serving time for rape and such things. He actually admitted a great deal in court to no avail.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is give another example of how hopeless our government is... Basically, all of the high ranking positions are filled by clowns and criminals (usually the criminals are clowns at the same time).

So, I'm not even sure how if these fools are even taking this hard learnt lesson to heart.

• 3 weeks later...

I love what Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear has to say about the electricity crisis in South Africa.

Thirty years ago in South Africa, there was white power. Then there was black power. And now there is no power.

No really. There isn't. The electricity-generating company over there has just announced that the power stations are not capable of meeting demand and that there will be outages for two, three or six hours a day for at least the next seven years.

So far as I can see, no one is asking why this has happened. Everyone suspects it's because the power company, since it took over the reins from De Boer Pik Racist, has been operating a policy of only employing black people. So the whites, the ones who know how to run a power station, have left the job of generating electricity to a bunch of guys who don't know how to.

No one's actually saying that of course. It's a political potato so hot that you're going to get your fingers burned if you even whisper such a thing. And anyway, working out why the country's run out of juice is nowhere near as important as working out what the bloody hell you can do about it.

He's so politically incorrect it's hilarious!

Sorry, but power stations don't really work the same way as farms in Zimbabwe. The fundamental problem with South Africa's power stations isn't that they're not being run properly - they're actually working just fine. The problem is that there aren't enough of them, because for a long time no one thought of building new power stations. And demand for electricity just kept growing until the existing power grid could no longer cope with it.

Now, obviously, the solution is to build more power stations. But that takes time, and money... and power. Damn.

Just wanted to make sure everybody knows that I don't necessarily agree with the reason Clarkson mentions - I just thought the 'First there was white power, then black power, now no power' thing was funny (I'm childish, but it's especially funny for those who've grown up in SA and heard expressions like "white regime" and "black power" for most of their lives).

The problem is that there aren't enough of them, because for a long time no one thought of building new power stations.

I don't like that explanation - it sounds too simple. But, then again, the simplest explanations are often true, and it does seem to fit Africa somehow. Okay, I like it. ;)

Regardless, you can be sure that stupidity and/or corruption is the major original source of the problem as is usually the case in SA. Honestly... our govt seems to be like... woops, forgot to pay the electricity bill! (update power for needs)... for the WHOLE country.

Still, the power crisis seems to be rather mitigated where I am (maybe I'm just lucky in that regard). I hear that the people working on the problem have opted for power stations that are basically not as cost-efficient but are much more construction time efficient.

Yes, I agree with you on that SA does seem to get itself into amazing amounts of trouble through sheer daftness (one of the reasons I moved to Sweden), but, in the article by Clarkson I quoted from earlier, he also mentions the power cuts they had in England during the 70's, so I suppose it isn't only SA that can be daft. But why on earth will it take at least 7 years to fix?!

Mbeki isn't running again, so you couldn't vote for him even if you wanted to.

Having said that, the ANC seems to have a worrying grip on power. But I don't know much about the politics of South Africa, so I don't know why that is.

Mbeki isn't running again, so you couldn't vote for him even if you wanted to.

Having said that, the ANC seems to have a worrying grip on power. But I don't know much about the politics of South Africa, so I don't know why that is.

What you say about Mbeki is true - he and Zuma are members of the same party, and Zuma has already been elected leader of the ANC, so if the ANC is elected again, Zuma will probably be made the new president.

I think primarily why the ANC has such a strong hold is because they are counted foremost among those who are credited with having brought down Apartheid; and, indeed, they opposed it persistently and consistently for the entire NP era.

Well, I don't know about what he ''says''. Is it just me or does that guy rarely comment on anything these days?

Of course, he is retired, so he no longer has power of any form if that's what your asking about.

As for the reasons behind the ANC's popularity. Well, there is the apartheid credit as Sven mentioned. There is also the fact that the majority of people here don't seem to like and kind of change and basically like to stick with their ''brand name''. I made a post on it a while ago, I'd rather try and dig that up than make a new one with much the same content.

''Having said that, the ANC seems to have a worrying grip on power.''

Indeed. I might say Zuma himself has a worrying grip on power. If I recall, the party and individual received sufficient votes to do away with democracy if he pleased. Well, he hasn't done that yet because that would just be silly, but who knows what silly foolishness and garbage will soon be forced upon SA.

South Africans aren't much for change. SA had the National Party in charge for more than 45 years, and now it looks as if the ANC is here to stay.

As for Zuma, he could get away with murder. I heard a British commentator on TV say, and it's probably true, that the average man on the street in SA feels that Zuma has more his interests at heart than someone like Mbeki. He has a hold on the people that can't easily be broken. But, really, that's what the ANC in general has as well. 'Who put an end to white supremist dominance?' 'We did!'

I'm sure by now you've all heard about this wave of crime against immigrants spreading through South Africa, and which thus far has caused the deaths of at least 24 people. I read today it's just reached Durban. Foreign officials are worried about how all this will affect the 2010 World Cup.

24 deaths? in what time period? Unless that was in less than a day then it is more likely properly considered to be a trickle as opposed to a wave of crime in SA terms. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised it could even be considered a detectable increase large enough to be attributable to something as opposed to it merely being seen as random fluctation of crime related deaths.

As for the AIDS issue... Well I remember that a little while ago the public stations,streets,e.t.c were quite filled with messages about AIDS. I'm not sure if they were the right messages though (I certainly don't recall any specifics).

I also recall hearsay about predicted death rates amounting to 1 third of the population. It might have been referring to the pop at some time being measured as a % against the pop at the time of the prediction though, in which case one could make the prediction for a time indefinitely into the future and pull and frightful % for those not as willing to examine the details. Oh well, at least such a trick would be towards a good cause. I doubt they'd make up BS in that particular way anyway. Then again, all it's hearsay, probably not worth this paragraph dedicated to it.

''As for Zuma, he could get away with murder. I heard a British commentator on TV say, and it's probably true, that the average man on the street in SA feels that Zuma has more his interests at heart than someone like Mbeki. He has a hold on the people that can't easily be broken. But, really, that's what the ANC in general has as well. 'Who put an end to white supremist dominance?' 'We did!'''

Well, as far as I recall the case was one that would seem pretty much settled with a guilty verdict and fairly lengthy jail sentence in short order under normal circumstances.

Who knows, maybe Zuma does have some good honest interests and objectives, but based purely on his history one could only call such a thing unlikely.

Sorry, my info was a bit out of date. Here's more up-to-date info from Wikipedia:

A series of riots occurred in South Africa beginning on May 12, 2008. Reports as of May 22, 2008 indicated that at least 40 people had been killed with several hundred injured. In addition some 17,000 had been displaced, most have sought sanctuary in police stations, churches and community halls.

The riots began on May 12, 2008 in the South African township of Alexandra when locals attacked migrants from Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe, killing two people and injuring 40 others.

The violence spread to other townships later in the week across the Gauteng Province of South Africa with riots reported in several settlements including Diepsloot, Johannesburg, Jeppestown, Hillbrow and others. It was reported that near Reiger Park on the East Rand, a man was burnt to death. Police had arrested more than 200 people on charges including murder, attempted murder, rape, public violence and robbery. Armed police used tear gas and rubber bullets to quell rioting in central Johannesburg, attacks on foreigners and looting of foreign owned shops. The violence then spread to the coastal city of Durban.

It is not the first time such xenophobic violence has occurred in South Africa.

40 killed, several hundred injured, and 17,000 displaced?

Damn! That is a different story indeed.

Pfft! and all this due to xenophobia!? From the sounds of things these migrants are probably mostly fully fledged citizens.

''attacks on foreigners and looting of foreign owned shops''

Well, those shops are not necessarily owned by foreigners in the country who are under assualt. They could be Mac Donalds, fast food restaurants, e.t.c that are owned by some fat guy in the USA. Clearly though, it is more likely these are small businesses owned be these foreigners that are being attacked.

Guess I could always make certain by checking wikipedia myself.

''Police had arrested more than 200 people on charges including murder, attempted murder, rape, public violence and robbery. Armed police used tear gas and rubber bullets to quell rioting in central Johannesburg, attacks on foreigners and looting of foreign owned shops''

hmm... 200 people in 10 days? Doesn't sound like a bad number though I don't know the number of incidents and suspected involved individuals.

Oh well, hopefully the police will continue to effectively crack down (both literally and figuratively) on the heads of these intolerable fools till they've had some sense knocked into them.

Seriously, I often comment that if people have the spare time and energy to devote themselves so completely to the most retarded actions they can think of then they have the time and energy to try doing something constructive (eg: assisting political and societal change.)

Then again, I don't yet know enough about this situation to go about condemning the rioters as idiots (or cheering the police on) or to say anything yet. Perhaps I will find some info later to better comment.

Still, if I were forced to comment now then...: Knowing the general astounding stupidity that one finds in SA, it is obvious what the case is....

I first got wind of the situation in a local Swedish newspaper, but the article was very short and not very detailed. When I read about it on the Internet it seemed far more serious. Is this being reported on in the SA newspapers? I have a sister who lives near Durban so I'm a bit concerned.