HoD Grammar thread

Emperor Harkonnen

:O

This is one of those "Ever sift sand in a sieve?" feints, isn't it? Isn't it? :D

Yes, there are characters for the numbers as well, but they also use Arabic numerals...maybe not as much as the Japanese (who also use the character versions). I'd post examples but IIRC this boardware isn't Unicode friendly.

The modern Japanese writing system is fascinating: it can combine at least six different "scripts" in a single text: Kanji (Chinese characters), Hiragana (cursive syllabary), Katakana (angular syllabary), Arabic numerals, Roman alphabet, and various symbols and punctuation. The complexity of the system makes the high literacy rate all the more impressive.

But, as was the original point, it's something which requires years of study and a lot of hard work. ;)

So is this system with 10 numbers as basis?

Yep. Base 10, but with unit groupings every 4 digits, instead of every 3 as in most Western languages.

We go

units 1

tens 10

hundreds 100

thousands (= unit thousands) 1,000

ten thousands 10,000

hundred thousands 100,000

unit millions 1,000,000 (At least in the US)

ten millions 10,000,000

hundred millions 100,000,000

etc. They go

units 1

tens 10

hundreds 100

thousands 1000

unit ten-thousands 1,0000

ten ten-thousands 10,0000

hundred ten-thousands 100,0000

thousand ten-thousands 1000,0000

etc.

Of course, they write the numbers the same way we do, which makes it very confusing. For personal use, I usually write them as I have above, with the comma every four places. :)

Thanks, this made it very clear.

One is pleased to be of service. :)

Strange that they also developped a numerical system with 10 just like the arabic system we use(or is it indian?)

Why do you think that? Looked at your hands lately? ;)

I think the mayan or aztecs had something like 60 as base in their system... also the babylonians had some other number.

I don't know anything about the Mayan or Aztec systems, but the Sumerians and Babylonians used Base 60...it's somehow connected with why we still divide circles and hours by that number, but I forget the details. That sort of thing happens when you lose your hair...more cosmic rays get through and mess with the synapses. ... Where did that tinfoil hat get to?  ;D

I love your subtle ways Newt :D

The Babylonian's 60 would look like it's from 12 (12*5), which fits for clocks. And it's the first multiple of 12 which is also of 10 (more practical? I thought maybe "12" is practical for antiquity's small-scale operations, and 10/60 for larger scale). But I've found a better answer from a great website:

The second point to make is that modern mathematicians were not the first to ask such questions. Theon of Alexandria tried to answer this question in the fourth century AD and many historians of mathematics have offered an opinion since then without any coming up with a really convincing answer.

Was there some mention of polydactyly in connection with the children?

The Japanese media and CNNj reported that one of the children had died young and one was "not normal", but I didn't catch any specifics.

(Or are you just being funny? ;) )