Ecumenical Translation of the Great Religions

TMA_1

I just said that there could be alternatives to your theory, sorry if it offends you when someone disagree  ::)

I don't know what "leis" is, so I have no idea if it is used in the middle-east. Let's just leave it with that, your theory seems likely  ;) I just thought too much about the spawing ground of religions.

I like some of the new books. I found the prequels great! :) As for the Legends series, I haven't read all of them, and I guess it is written that the location was elsewhere there, right?

It seems you don't like the new books...?  :P

It doesn't offend me when someone disagrees with me. It offends me when they do it for no valid reason, or lamely.

The location isn't mentioned directly in the Legends books, but since you haven't read them yet, I won't spoil them for you.

Each reader should have the joy of discovering them on their own...like finding something fragrantly forgotten for weeks or months at the back of the refrigerator.... :D

I just said that there could be alternatives to your theory, sorry if it offends you when someone disagree  ::)

I don't know what "leis" is, so I have no idea if it is used in the middle-east. Let's just leave it with that, your theory seems likely  ;) I just thought too much about the spawing ground of religions.

I like some of the new books. I found the prequels great! :) As for the Legends series, I haven't read all of them, and I guess it is written that the location was elsewhere there, right?

It seems you don't like the new books...?  :P

@SandChigger: It would help to notice whether or not a poster's first language is English, before you go making assumptions. I take it that Emperor Harkonnen is Danish (I think)? EDIT: Norwegian (sorry! :-[)

@Emperor Harkonnen: A lei is a garland of flowers, woven into a circlet, and is worn around the neck. It's a tradition in Hawaii to greet newcomers by placing a lei around their neck (both sexes). So I would venture to guess that leis are not common at all in the Middle East.  ;)

SandChigger's grammar lesson notwithstanding, the Middle East has tended to produce patriarchal religions. On the other hand, the Greek islands have tended to produce matriarchal religions.

Of course, I'm not familiar with any Greek islands that are culturally connected to sandwiches...

Oh...is that what those little flag icons are for? ::) I assume that someone posting on an English board (especially one devoted in part to works of literature originally in English, and otherwise to games derived from those works) considers their own English abilities up to the task, until they prove otherwise. Any other approach is a bit condescending, no? I also assume that people are capable of looking up words they don't know on their own. (Please, rest assured that in the future when I require advice on a point of etiquette from you, I will request it.)

I'm not sure I see the point of the rest of your comment, unless you are somehow taking "mother religions" to mean matriarchal ones?

Oh...is that what those little flag icons are for? ::)

Duh.

I assume that someone posting on an English board (especially one devoted in part to works of literature originally in English, and otherwise to games derived from those works) considers their own English abilities up to the task, until they prove otherwise. Any other approach is a bit condescending, no? I also assume that people are capable of looking up words they don't know on their own.

So if you post on a board that's about a literary work in another language, you have perfect command of that language?  ??? Wow.

It's the courteous thing to explain things when they're not understood. It is not the courteous thing to berate non-native speakers if they happen to miss a point. You'd expect that consideration if your situation  was reversed.

(Please, rest assured that in the future when I require advice on a point of etiquette from you, I will request it.)

Uh-huh...

I'm not sure I see the point of the rest of your comment, unless you are somehow taking "mother religions" to mean matriarchal ones?

Didn't I just say that?  ::) There are two connotations of "mother religion" -- a religion from which later religions are derived, and a religion that places primary importance on women, female deities, and women's roles in society.

And no, I don't seriously think the location was one of the Greek islands.

Yes, Mom. But like I wrote above, when needed, I'll ask.

"Mother religions" may have more than one connotation for some speakers, but the point is the effect of the context. In this text the meaning is clear.

Besides, this wasn't one of the points of misunderstanding to begin with.

Yes, Mom. But like I wrote above, when needed, I'll ask.

"Mother religions" may have more than one connotation for some speakers, but the point is the effect of the context. In this text the meaning is clear.

Besides, this wasn't one of the points of misunderstanding to begin with.

You should be glad I'm not your mother (I know I'm glad).

Relax. Sometimes a comment is just a comment.

This idea struck me reading Frank Herbert's 'Best Of'. He was very interested in the role of the powerful matriarchal woman, a woman  who holds the mystery of life. It is possible that he was referring to the idea of women rising up to the dominant role he saw them having in primitive times once again.

Yes, he was. And if you (actually) read the "Religion of Dune" appendix you will see before the passages I quoted above this:

It was as though Jupiter in all his descendant forms retreated into the maternal darkness to be superseded by a female immanence filled with ambiguity and with a face of many terrors.

HOWEVER, in my considered opinion, to take "mother religions" here to mean something like "matriarchal religions" here is COMPLETELY WRONG.

I know that in these PC-benighted days we're supposed to take all opinions as being equally worthy of at least a hearing but that doesn't mean that they're all equally right.

But please, believe as you will.

• 7 months later...

Islands in the Middle East? You don't say? Why, I thought it was nothing but sand and bomb craters!

Dude, they are totally making islands off the coast of some country there or something.  I'll bet that they met on that one that is shaped like the planet Earth.  Maybe on the part that looks like Haw'ai'i!  Wouldn't that be ironical? 

I have it on good authority from a Dune Scholar on the Official Dune Forum that since islands are in the ocean and the moon is(was) an island of Earth, that islands therefore float on top of the ocean due to gravitational forces.  So it's obvious that Frank meant that the C.E.T. met on an "island of old earth", "old earth" being the key phrase as this island must have been removed from the earth about 2 weeks before Skynet was activated.  It was hidden in a galaxy far, far away, protected by the same tribe of Lost Fremen who became the original Jedis, which will be revealed in the forthcoming "Haunted Mansions of Dune", which Keith started on around Thanksgiving, so we should be getting it in a few weeks.  Too bad they couldn't rush it thru for Christmas !!

(I've just never been able to understand or do any serious thinking about Frank's books, so I'm sure glad I have a reliable and information-packed resource like dunenovels !  I can't wait for the new movie !  I read on the internet that the wierding modules are going to be light sabers !)

Why d'ya keep calling him "Keith"? Is it supposed to be humiliating or something? :D

There was a wingnut showed up before I got banned from DN trying to get people to participate in a "Name the landmarks of the Cydonia region on Mars!" project he was organizing. His user name is rhw01234 or something similar and he showed up on a lot of different forums and even in the discussion threads on Amazon.com. For some reason he kept referring to KJA as "Keith"; guess that's what he thought the "K" stood for.

Turns out the guy's a UFO/Mars Face/etc etc conspiracy nut with his own website (www.commonsensecentral.net), so I call him either "Crazy Martian Bob" or "Bonzo for Barsoom Bob".

Anyway, it's amazing, though, how many people make some sort of weird screw up when trying to type Kevin's name. I read a comment from a guy on a blog (review of PoD) yesterday and he called him "Chris".

That's one is completely out there. :D

It's on the home machine. I was going to add it to the list on my blog but didn't have time yesterday. Let's see...

Google "Paul of Dune" +review

and look for a site called "Reading With Monie" or something like that. Bint's name with "reading" in the title.

There were several new reviews on blogs popped up in the last few days. Read one and asked the bint if she were daft or something. :P

wish you hadn't made me do that (next time I'll wait for your link)

Andrew Ian Dodge's review came up on the first page, reminding

me I hadn't said anything nasty to him on his own blahg today or

posted a nasty comment on one of the many, many, right-wing

reactionary blahg-sites he posts on. (done & done)

Then I got sidetracked on the macmillan site - I've read this

stuff thru ten or twelve times, and I can only find one true fact,

being that Paul of Dune "begins immediately after the close of

Dune" - but that's not really true, since half the "book" takes place

before Dune.

Praise for The Dune Saga