Heroes of Dune

Dunenewt

Well, the tentative titles are:

Paul of Dune

Jessica of Dune

Irulan of Dune

From what we know, they will deal with issues in the time between Dune: House Corrino, and Dune, as well as the time of Paul's Jihad,

I, for one, want to find out what happens to Rhombur and House Vernius, and how they become IX.

Seems interesting. I am looking forward to reading about the Jihad times, I always thought there was kind of info-gap between Dune and Messiah... not bigger than between CoD and GEoD though  :P

Still Dune and Messiah are so closely connected, that they would leave many unanswered questions. Such as the magnitude of the Jihad: How many Fremens were there compared to the number of planets they went to?

That's right Andrew.

This quote from Dune Messiah is quite interesting:

"Stilgar," Paul said, "you urgently need a sense of balance which can come

only from an understanding of long-term effects. What little information we have

about the old times, the pittance of data which the Butlerians left us, Korba

has brought it for you. Start with the Genghis Khan."

"Ghengis . . . Khan? Was he of the Sardaukar, m'Lord?"

"Oh, long before that. He killed . . . perhaps four million."

"He must've had formidable weaponry to kill that many, Sire. Lasbeams,

perhaps, or . . ."

"He didn't kill them himself, Stil. He killed the way I kill, by sending out

his legions. There's another emperor I want you to note in passing -- a Hitler.

He killed more than six million. Pretty good for those days."

"Killed . . . by his legions?" Stilgar asked.

"Yes."

"Not very impressive statistics, m'Lord."

lol  :P

Hitler is supposed to have killed 6 million Jews, so maybe that where it came from.  Quisling is quite a Norwegian thing, I doubt many people outside of Norway would know what it would be in reference to, although I do.  Perhaps Judas would be a better example.

What do you mean by 'godwinned'?

Also, there is an assassination attempt on Paul during his early years at Caladan, which Duncan saves him from.  Who will try and kill him?  Harkonnens?  Moritani?  Or perhaps the BG?

Hitler is supposed to have killed 6 million Jews, so maybe that where it came from.  Quisling is quite a Norwegian thing, I doubt many people outside of Norway would know what it would be in reference to, although I do.  Perhaps Judas would be a better example.

No I think they were talking about another Hitler  :P

Anyway, I thought Quisling was used in other places as well. I just used that since it was more recent. One would think that if the name Hitler survived, so would Judas.

One could argue that Paul never made the transition from hero to tyrant. Perhaps he was always the former. Perhaps the latter. Personally I feel that he was both, from the moment he deposed Shaddam.

There is simply no need for all this necromancy. Dune was finished, perhaps not satisfactorily, but it was. A bit of pen-waving and a few chanted interviews might make the corpse shamble, but it won't do anything worthwhile or meaningful.

Depends what you mean by control. He couldn't stop it, if that's what you mean. But one could equally argue that things fell out exactly as he knew they would anyway, and in a way he had all the control he needed.

One shouldn't judge the fremen by their violence.

Paul didn't have any control actually. It was Leto II who had, and had the right to be called the Tyrant. Paul was a hostage to his position until he went to the desert and became the Preacher.

Returning to the main topic of the thread, I must say once again that I dislike the attitude of BH and KJA to explain everything. I actually like to have some "negative capability" in the books I read. Frank excellently used that.

Oh, Hasimir Fenrig tries to assassinate Paul as well, during the Jihad.

Where did you get that? I thought he retired to Salusa Secundus with Shaddam, and died there... ???