Favourite house in each Dune game

bob_fox

Which is your favourite house in each of the Dune strategy games (if possible, give a reason)? As far as I'm concerned:

Dune 2 - Harkonnen (Death Hand Missile, and the other teams' Palace weapons stink; also, if you play for the Harks, you avoid having the computer player firing DHM's at you!)

Dune 2000 - Ordos (Stealth Raiders and Saboteurs)

Emperor - Atreides (Minotaurs and Snipers)

I moved it to gaming board. Seemed the best place since it encompasses each Dune RTS (wouldn't fit in a single dune game board).

Question comes up often. I disliked sonic tanks because they would eventually kill themselves if they were not in a single line. The Harkonnen nuke was good although inaccurate. I havn't played dune2 and dune 2000 in a while so I'm not sure.

I only played Emperor for a couple hours, so I cant decide on that.

Emperor Harkonnen you forgot to say what your favorite house was in the games! :)

I actually thought a bit about where to put it, and I thought Duniverse fit best because they were all Dune games (part of the Dune universe) and not just any old games, but I suppose Duniverse is more for deeper Dune discussion.

Devastator and Carryall? Hm, I've never tried that tactic - could be interesting.

Dune 2: Harkonnen -> because of the death hand (especially if you had built like 10 palaces and nuked everything off the map)

Dune 2000: haven't played this game intensively

Emperor: Ordos -> because of the laser tanks and the hit&run tactics + the self repairing. but I also like Harkonnen very much for their gunships, the devastator-drops and the buzzsaws

I never liked the Atreides very much, neither their weapons nor their background history...

You can accumulate Death Hand strikes in Dune 2?! I don't remember that - I've got the game, but it's a long time since I played it properly.

I never liked the Atreides very much, neither their weapons nor their background history...

Come on, now. You must admit the Snipers are super cool.

In Dune 2 and Dune 2000, houses are not that different IMHO. Aesthetically, I like the Ordos most and the Atreides the least. In Emperor, I prefer Ordos for their Laser Tanks and Harkonnen for Devastator drops (I'm talking singleplayer only though - I never play online), and I also like the HK ADP. Sonic Tanks are such a nuisance, I never build them, and going Minos alone isn't fun.

I'm a bit childish when it comes to Snipers. That they each pick their own target so that no bullets are wasted is just super cool (no other way to describe it). And elite Snipers are absolutely the cat's PJ's in my opinion.

That they each pick their own target so that no bullets are wasted is just super cool (no other way to describe it).

GAH! The environmentalists are everywhere...

Anyway, in Dune 2, I prefer Harkonnen, only because of their DH missile. It's nearly a tie between Harkonnen and Atreides, because Atreides has sonic tanks. In Dune 2000, I think I like Harkonnen best too, but I don't remember too well. Emperor was another matter, however. There I liked Atreides and Ordos.

I admit that my coldness for the Atreides may come from my inability to master the stratagems of this side properly rather than anything else.

Haven't played Emperor for quite a while. Last game was some mission from the HK campaign. Alchemi2 is right, Emp. may get real slow when graphics is set to anything above the minimum, and playing later campaign missions may be a real pain once the AI gets a chance to amass a huge number of units. So I would frequently find myself rushing to finish off the AI before it could become a real threat, lest the game slowed down to almost a stop when things just get interesting :(

Not played much of Dune 2 to say much fairly.

Dune 2000 - Harkonnen. Just out-muscle them. Missile tanks for the most part, and devastators and sards at medium range.

Emperor - Still the Harks. Buzzsaws and Assault Tanks are great units, their Troopers kick ass (at least when not facing the minos) and the Missile Tank, when used strategically, can cause a lot of damage, way above its price tag.

Finally, someone who likes the Atreides in Emperor! (There's been a lot of Atreides bashing in the forums on this site, and I don't think I like it. :'()

they are just too friendly... I like evil bastards like the ordos  ;D

and I don't like their units and the strategies that come with them.

I just feel the Ordos units require too much micromanagement to be effective (okay, I'm lazy, so sue me!). The Harks... well, they don't have any good artillery units like the Mino... or Snipers, for that matter. But actually, I've lost a bit of affection for the Atreides since I first got Emperor.

The missile tank seems to serve the role as a superb anti-vehicle artillery. Harks were not meant to be played siege style with lots of long-range units sitting outside and blasting the base to pieces. That's why all Harkonnen units can function at full capacity even when damaged, unlike Ordos vehicles. Atreides vehicles are generally too slow to be considered for a quick, vicious assault (save for ornithoptors)..

• 3 weeks later...

DII: Atreides (Though the Death Hand makes the later missions so much easier, I am actually quite fond of the old Fremen, and the Devs are too volatile for my liking - Sonic Tanks are fine if used sparingly).

D2000: The Atreides Airstrike is nice, but at best it only partly makes up for the awful Fremen. The Death Hand comes off as the best superweapon by far, but the Ordos game is a little more interesting. Not sure on this one.

Emperor: Atreides. All-round force with no wastage (by which I mean units that are irritatingly difficult to use). Hawk strike is a little weak - and definitely a bit "ok, what the hell is this magic blue eagle doing", but it isn't desperately weak.

Enemy units near the "magic blue eagle" will be stricken with fear and flee from the area. They will head off in a particular direction, towards the edge of the map. The enemy player loses control of these units. Units that reach the edge of the map will disappear for good.