Computer game vs mythological accuracy

Guest Mr Russie

Guest Mr Russie

I own a copy of the Dune 2K game and have played and enjoyed it (as a computer game). But I never for one minute believed it had anything to do with Dune. Just wondering what people's thoughts were about tanks, trikes, quads etc in the Duniverse? Didn't the concept of "shielding" negate conventional military hardware? I can't think of a single line in the books where FH mentioned such a thing as a tank!

Even on Arrakis, where shielding could only be used to a limited degree, no one wandered the desert in AFV's. Because no one had them! Because everyone had come to rely on shield technology!

I am aware of the single instance where the Harkonen used rocket artillery to seal Atredies troopers in caves after the attack upon House Atredies. But tanks? Come on!

The two standard years that Paul and the Fremen spent fighting Rabban and the Harkonens for control of the spice clearly shows that there is potential for military action on Dune. But such combats would have been low intensity infantry battles perhaps with limited thopter support in the air attack and troop movement role. Not the bloody Gulf War!

Mr Russie xxx

You're absolutely right about tanks in the Dune universe and I agree with you 100%.

However, we had a very lengthy discussion on this that brought out the worst in quite a few people so maybe we shouldn't reopen old wounds :)

I'll post a link sometime if you're interested.

I agree with you 0%. :)

In case you're wondering, the main argument was between me and Shaddam. I like tanks in Dune RTS games and I think they're a necessary part of these games... but I don't want to start the argument all over again. ;)

Guest Mr Russie

No problem. I'm a friend of Mahdi's, he invited me over here to check out the site. I just thought I'd post something stimulating to see if anybody had any views. Mahdi has since directed me to the debate and I have read the thread. All I can say is that I wish I'd been there for it.

• 3 months later...

As a new one her I don't know about the previous discussion, could some one

briefly tell me what is was about ?

For the moment I must say that I also don't believe that trikes, quads and

tanks belong on the surface of Arrakis. However, Didn't Miles Teg bring some

havy machinery to Arrakis ?