The Democrats take the Senate and House

Well what do you guys think? Do you believe that this will lead to change in Iraq? How do you think

this will change the domestic face of this country?

I am extremely happy that this has happened, but I fear that no real substantial change will occur both on the home front and with the war in Iraq. I believe that domestically there will be a bit of change, but the democrats seem to be just as much out of touch with the middle and lower middle classes as the republicans. The increase of the minimum wage is one thing spoken of much by many democrats, but what many people dont realize is that the minimum wage of 7.25 an hour (I believe that is what the democrats want to increase it to) has already been implamented in some states. Also, 7.25 is still woefully low, and that kind of wage is still too little to actually be considered a living wage. Only people who are out of touch with the common man would even think that this is sufficiant. I guess it is better than nothing though. There are many other things that are said to come with the new democratic majority in the senate and the house, and some of the things seem good. I hope there is actual change here at home! I pray it is so. Nevertheless I am extremely happy that there now is a democratic majority.

I dont think it will really change the face of the war though. I just wish that this whole presidency would end.

To be honest I'm quite surprised that you say that TMA. Don't know, just figured you to be Republican. Anyway, I hope this brings positive changes in America and abroad. My only fear is that the democrats won't be assertive enough to force change.

TMA is middle class with family budget issues and struggles to make ends meet.  I've always figured him to be a Democrat.  Republicans legislation favors those who make 100k + a year.

My wife and i have passed that salary mark.... so we would do better under Repub's tax scheme.  Now its time to buckle down and see if the Dems try to tax the crap out of us.  I hope McCain wins the Prez election and we take back the house.  Solidarity is best for a nation, partisan gridlock is useless, and democrat's tax scheme, while good for the national debt,  really doesnt help people like me on a personal level.

Let the next generation pay off the national debt just like I'm paying for the baby boomers' social security.    ;)

This loss is good.  It will actually get the repubs off their butts... shed off their decadence... and get them pumped up for the prez election.  Hopefully McCain will rally the repubs and start another repub revolution with fresh blood.

2009 will be the year of years !   We'll either end up with a White Republican, a Female Dem, or a Black Dem as a President... will be interesting.

Even though I'm staunchly liberal, I'd probably vote for McCaine over Hillary Clinton, just because I think he would make a better leader, as a moderate republican with a bipartisan voting record. He'd be more capable of uniting both parties in Congress.

Having said that, it makes me very happy that the Democrats have retaken both houses of Congress. Have you noticed how quickly Bush reacted to this by having Rumsfeld resign and seeking cooperation? Not like anything he's done before - he knows he's in deep shit now. Bush doesn't know how to compromise or reason, he'll have to learn both or become a lame duck president.

Maybe they can cut taxes if they decrease spending. Didn't make sense to me when Bush decreased taxes and went on a spending spree during a war. Maybe that is why the USD has dropped so much?

I'd have to agree with Gunwounds, good thing Dems won so the other side can get there act together. Same thing happened in Canada. Conservatives won after Liberals in power for 12 years, now the Libs can get there act together. Same on a provincial level for me, Conservatives have been in power since 1996, and they have screwed up royally in the past 6 years with a good economy bringing the debt up to 1 billion dollars.

Pat Binns Legacy from wikipedia:

Binns may be remembered for running the largest deficits in the history of Canada's smallest province, with the net provincial debt forecast at $1.347 billion (CAD) for FY 2005-2006, a gain of $350 million alone since FY 1998-1999.

That is a debt of 10,361.53 per person on PEI. PEI only has average earnings of $22,000 per year.

This is one of the reasons I try to be involved in politics, cause I hate when people/govs screw things up for no reason.

I thought you were a patriot? Surely you'd do anything for the good of your country.

I'm paying the Baby Boomer's Social security that i wont get to enjoy.... thats my generational sacrifice to prove my patriotism.  The next generation needs to sacrifice for me to show their patriotism..... therefore i have unofficially given them the task to pay off the debt.

My name is Gunwounds... and i Approve this message.

Hehe, I am quite conservative, but I am no fool, and the republicans would want me to be one of their fools. I say fuck 'em.

"My only fear is that the democrats won't be assertive enough to force change."

that is one of my fears as well. I am also concerned with the increase in the amount of conservative democrats now in the house and senate. I really dont think they have the common person's best intererests in mind. Not only this, but speaking of the democrats not being assertive, I think they may try to be as moderate as possible on many issues, which will hinder any sort of real change here on the homefront.

I am keeping my hopes up though!

Higher minimum salary. It is good to put bread on the people's tables.

Then they don't whine since they have games and the general impetus is kept by inertia.

Happy birthday TMA. Conservatives will see conservation of the present course. I'm not sure if it's exactly what they wanted to conserve, but that's that.

The Doctor: The society's absence of mission wont change just because the absent leader died. Someone, show me a Philosopher-King :'(

I don't think your guy could do much. The most "left" of ideas seem pretty much like the most "right" ones. For a line, it looks pretty much like a circle to me.

I would rather draw a line between balanced discussions for humane policies vs "yellers" (not just the voice) using rhetoric/ploys to get people/supporters. The latter tend to keep people out of changing policies, while the former should strive to make them part of it (Kennedy's "ask what yourself what you could do for your country" would be closer to that than uncomplete extremes of "do as I said" and "my policy is about those laws I've set and you're free to do whattever you want").