Hunters of Dune

Dragoon Knight

I thought it was a pretty good read.

In a perfect world, Frank would have been able to finish the series. Or maybe they could have found an author that could have mimicked his style to the point where fans couldn't tell. But that's just not the reality.

Brian and Kevin do a good enough job. And no matter how great a job they did, fans were going to complain about it.

There are some obvious inconsistencies, but most of them have been explained away. Even the old couple being machines and not face dancers. In the House series, the researcher working on amal says he sent face dancers far out into the universe. Plus the machines seemed to be working closely with face dancers. So maybe they're face dancer-machine hybrids.

I don't know, but I remember thinking at the end of Chapterhouse, "Why the hell did some face dancers just try to catch that ship?" So I'm actually glad they kind of dropped that.

I don't know, but I remember thinking at the end of Chapterhouse, "Why the hell did some face dancers just try to catch that ship?" So I'm actually glad they kind of dropped that.

I can't agree with you on that. In Chapterhouse's finale, I tend to see two possible ways of human evolution/development Herbert outlined, that are represented by the no-ship and its passengers and by the "evolved" face dancer couple. Besides, I think it's just inevitable to see that Daniel and Marty are autoportraying Herbert and his wife, to some extent.

In fact, there can be as many interpretations of the finale as one can imagine, but the one chosen by Brian and Kevin reduces the finale to a simple device that would link their prequels to Frank Herbert's work.

Besides, I think it's just inevitable to see that Daniel and Marty are autoportraying Herbert and his wife, to some extent.

That is true, but there would have been a Dune 7 by Frank Herbert anyway, so the couple also needed to have some real function in the storyline. If it was the last book in the series I'd agree, but there has to have been more to them than that.

What makes you think that there had to be book 7? The notes on which BH and KJA base their work, even if it's indeed a "detailed outline", could still have remained notes and sketches, or could even be used as ideas for some other, non-Dune book. And what I truly reject that these notes contain something like "Daniel & Marty = Evil Robotz"

What makes you think that there had to be book 7? The notes on which BH and KJA base their work, even if it's indeed a "detailed outline", could still have remained notes and sketches, or could even be used as ideas for some other, non-Dune book. And what I truly reject that these notes contain something like "Daniel & Marty = Evil Robotz"

I do not think they would do that if that was'nt in the notes

besides, They were notes for book 7 (as statet in the first house book and on) They were notes from frak and also for the prequels.

But if you want to make questions like that I have a better one: Where any notes at all? or did they make it up?

Well first of all, there are notes and notes. I mean, there can be a very detailed plan of a book, or just some ideas, concepts and sketches put down for thinking them over and maybe incorporating into a book. Whatever the case is with the notes for book 7 upon which the sequels are based (well, one can argue whether such notes really exist, but it's pointless because the proponents as well as the opponents of the existence of the notes don't have anything to prove them right), an author usually writes such notes for himself, and therefore they're difficult to use by other people. No matter how closely Brian is related to Frank, he can't possibly create an accurate reproduction of his father's mind. The notes, of course, might give a certain insight into what Frank planned, but writing a book while strictly sticking to the notes would be hardly possible.

And to support my argument that, at least, Frank didn't mean Daniel and Marty to be robots while he was finishing Chapterhouse, I'll refer to the actual quote from the book which clearly indicates that Daniel and Marty are (or, at least, believe themselves to be) free and powerful Face Dancers.

• 4 weeks later...

hehe Welcome on our forums SandChigger. It seems that you are already full member of the Tribe of Cynics ;)

As for facedancing, it's a big stretch if Brian/Kevin haven't explained any of this. But I don't know if they answered any "FH vs BH" or if Hunters explains (anyone?).

Thank you for the welcome.

A very astute observation as to my ancestry. Though currently residing in Sietch Tigr, I am originally of the Increduali of Jacurutu.

The belief that we are all water stealers is mistaken. To the contrary, I and mine give water daily to the dead thing that Dune has become.

Daniel and Marty Omnius and Erasmus?! Spice from worms, not sandtrout?! Every character a mental deficient?!

No...Dune is not what it was of old.

My eyes flow, my spiracles gasp, my sphincters twitch....

;)