What if Dune Generations went open source ...

Fyril

I have been wondering about this for days, and I can't get it out of my mind ...

I can't believe that all docs and source code went to trash when the project was cancelled (at least I don't want to believe it)

Since CryoNetworks no longer exists, source code for what has already been developped might be released freely ...

Does anybody have an idea about the legal status of Dune Generations at the present time ?

Thx in advance,

F.

as far as I know, Cryo Networks were the developpers and Cryo Interactive was the editor, I never saw EA mentionned anywhere.

the only rights which remain are the ones for all Dune related stuff, and those belong to Dino de Laurentiis (I think)

Still I don't know where to look for that ...

I've seen that when it was announced that DG was cancelled, some people from the developpers team sent mail here and there, but now it would be difficult to find a person who will know if it's possible ...

Perhaps if ever it goes commercial again, you don't want it to be open source. Or perhaps its in such a state, where it is hard to be open source (and get it working). Or, perhaps they just dont want it... Or...

So many reasons. Not always valid from an Open Source perspective, but then again its not us to say.

They didn't make it open source because it woul have been pointless.  They developed the game using an in-house language that only employees of Cryo knew.  Therefore fans could not complete it anyway.  It's all explained in the old DG forums/interviews/e-mails.

I think that's a cover-up. Mind you I wasn't as tantalized about the game as many people here were (I thought they took the theme in the wrong direction with that game), but as a professional programmer I can confidently say that, simply because it uses another language that is hitherto unknown to the public, doesn't make it impossible to develop. It only makes it take an extra week (or two since you wouldn't have any tutorials to walk you through) as you learn that new language.

I think that's a cover-up. Mind you I wasn't as tantalized about the game as many people here were (I thought they took the theme in the wrong direction with that game), but as a professional programmer I can confidently say that, simply because it uses another language that is hitherto unknown to the public, doesn't make it impossible to develop. It only makes it take an extra week (or two since you wouldn't have any tutorials to walk you through) as you learn that new language.

The wrong direction?  Really?  I loved the idea of each player controling his own house in a mmorts.  I thought that that probably was the ebst possible way to do a game in the Duniverse.

Of course, I was going to get a free trip out of it and wasn't going to have to pay the monthly fees to play it....

• 11 months later...

Why, were you getting a free pass from the devs Mahdi?

A bit after it crashed for good and they all dispersed, I've heard from some alleged DG dev that the internal code was just total crap for the game to start with, and that they were discouraged by it themselves.

• 3 months later...

They didn't make it open source because it woul have been pointless.  They developed the game using an in-house language that only employees of Cryo knew.  Therefore fans could not complete it anyway.  It's all explained in the old DG forums/interviews/e-mails.

In house language? How do you know this?

I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have developed a compiler to build a game from scratch, if they did no wonder it failed...

• 1 month later...

In house language? How do you know this?

I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have developed a compiler to build a game from scratch, if they did no wonder it failed...

I know this because I talked quite a bit with the DG developers and they made no secret about this wahtsoever, both during the games construction and after it was cancelled.

Well, its a shame, but I'm sure it would be possible to make at least a text version of Dune Generations between us.  A bit like Ambar or Planetarian, or at the very least, Nationstates.

Oh, I'm sure it would if someone actually had the time to put into it.  More likely it would end up like all the other failed fan games.

I could do it pen-n-paper + Dune2000 battles, but I'm not sure it'd do much ;D

I guess someone could take DG's system, the RTS part fitting Dune 2000 with DG-style faction-making as modded Atr-Hark-Ordos. The rest of DG wasn't graphic-based anyway for all I've seen (right?). It looks like all MUDs out there really.

Although interesting - a Dune political sim and all - I fear it generally tends to go as Mahdi said

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Deidril!  Long time no see!  How are you doing?  It's great to see you drop in, you should come by more often.  What are you up to now?

Any thoughts on writing a bit on what happened with DG now that it's been so long since the game was cancelled and the company went under?

You're probably aware since you're mentioning it, but at least 2 Dune muds have been done (and as far as I know, exist and are doing fine). One--I visited once--appeared to just be a stock codebase, with all the names and locations changed to be Dune stuff... so it was pretty stupid. The other I never tried, but heard it was better (again, I know I differ from many people in that I don't think I'd find a Dune RPG style game to be too interesting).

Oh, I'm sure it would if someone actually had the time to put into it.  More likely it would end up like all the other failed fan games.

Speak for yourself! Mine was finished up quite nicely. We had a small group of dedicated players and we had fun for a couple of years with it. Even had a person or two from here check it out (and one stay). :)