Why You Love Your Homeland

TMA_1

I could (and can) live pretty much anywhere, even though there are some advantages in some places and (of course) it is natural for me to be adapted to my own place. Here's some stuff which is rather "from my own place":

As Jean Chr

Being serious for a moment, a lot of the stereotypes of Americans are incredibly backwards, or just a blatant lie. For instance, the work ethic of your average American is greater than probably anywhere else in the western democracies you'll encounter. My mother, for instance, has days where she goes to work at 6am and comes home at 9pm, and something like a 8-9 hour work day, with incredibly small amount of paid vacation (especially in comparison to European countries). In fact, Americans annually work 199 more hours than in 1970 alone.

But what makes that great? Your average Joe doesn't complain. Americans get up, do the job, and come home, proud of what they posses and what's around them. I mean that's where the SUV/Truck/Car image comes from: We like displaying our status, and what (typically) hard work achieves in this society. But I mean it's never in such a note where everyone is always bragging about it -- another trait I love. Especially in regards to family, we typically as a society would work a 10 hour day just to support the family we help raise, and that cultural structure additionally makes me proud.

When you work more for less, and don't complain about it, I see that as a serious problem rather than a good thing. When you deserve better than what you get, you should demand your due.

In my experience, the West European stereotype about American workers is that they don't stand up for their rights.

When you work more for less, and don't complain about it, I see that as a serious problem rather than a good thing.

Yeah, but just that applies to the people from Eastern Europe too. ;D (Doesn't that include you too, Edric?) They work almost for free.

We have Polish workers in Norway working for less than a fifth of the standard wage Norwegians are getting. They don't complain, and we certainly don't either! 8)

Yeah, but just that applies to the people from Eastern Europe too. ;D (Doesn't that include you too, Edric?) They work almost for free.

We have Polish workers in Norway working for less than a fifth of the standard wage Norwegians are getting. They don't complain, and we certainly don't either! 8)

Of course, but that's one of the things I hate about many of my fellow Eastern Europeans.

And what do you mean you don't complain - cheap foreign labour drives down your wages, doesn't it?

But for most Americans who are hourly workers (vs. flat salary) they receive overtime pay.  So it

And what do you mean you don't complain - cheap foreign labour drives down your wages, doesn't it?

The Eastern Europeans just get a shitty wage. It doesn't affect our wage. You guys just accept working for almost nothing. We demand a certain wage... :P

Of course, if you'd be asking for much more, you'd not be getting any jobs, because we think the quality of a Norwegian worker is better than that of en Eastern European, and you don't know Norwegian either.

When I work in Austria I demand an equal wage as an Austrian in my age/qualification/skill would, it is logical. It's just an opposite of what our government does; when giving advantages to western workers and companies which come to Slovakia. That's a thing I don't love on my homeland, but anyway  ;D

Of course, if you'd be asking for much more, you'd not be getting any jobs, because we think the quality of a Norwegian worker is better than that of en Eastern European, and you don't know Norwegian either.

Do I sound like I'm looking for a job in Norway? :P

Well, I'll have to consult with the Party first.  ;D

Ford are you still around?  Are the 8) watching over your shoulder?

May we speak?

This is a unique opportunity to get some insight from a country that has isolated herself for so many years.

I have so many questions...

... but to stay on topic, I'm not so proud of my current homelend for various reasons.  I love south korea for the food, women, and my extensive family there.  My hometown of Gangneung is especially beautiful.  Not far from the mountains and close to many the beaches.

and hey, after growning up the only korean kid in my neighborhood, there's a certain sense of belonging I get from being surrounded by my bretheren (even if they now see me as a foreigner... yangnom to some  ;)).