help with ruter setup

Hi, i got adsl few dayes ago and am totaly new to this

i had to plug the hardware my self coz i live in a remote place for anyone to help..i have connected to the ruter but the speed is unstable and my download rate keeps craching and its never over like 22k(should be 30k)  well maybe i can get some help here because my isp sayes every thing is normal

from there part but the thing is my ruter is on fac defult mode and they say

i need to make the setup my self because they cant send anyone...

ill give u my settings and you can tell me if i need to change the ruter fac defult  settings or if i need to update firmware...

in case one of you maybe using the same ruter as me...

i have zte adsl ruter on 192.168.1.1 my ip adress 192.168.1.2

am using ethernet card. is the defult settings for my ruter ok?? or it

needs to be modefiedHuh

i have zte zxdsl 831A ( modem or ruter device. or what ever its called) as i see it on the device.

my router page looks like the (ZXDSL 831 v4.2) on portforward web site

the adress is (192.168.1.1) my ip is (192.168.1.2 )

am using (D link) ethernet lan card..

i dont know anything eals exept that the ruter has been reset to fac defult and

its not updated (if it needs to)

Not to dissapoint you, most home/small office routers don't have any option to customise them for speed. Nor whould they need one.

If you get 22k out of 30 I don't think that's to bad. You almost never get full speed as you should.

well the thing is i was using  the usb port when the isp configuerd my router coz i didnt have

a lan card...i jus wanted to know if i need to change anything at the router now that i am on ethernet card thats my main question  that i supoose u could know by defult if i need to do anything..or is it the same for ex

at setup page it sayes am connected on  (ppp over atm ,pppoA)

right under it there another choice  (ppp over ethernet,pppoE)

which one i chould use??? i tryed the secound choice 2 dayes ago and my dsl disconnected for 24 hours

at setup page it sayes am connected on  (ppp over atm ,pppoA)

right under it there another choice  (ppp over ethernet,pppoE)

which one i chould use??? i tryed the secound choice 2 dayes ago and my dsl disconnected for 24 hours

Well it could be that your provider blocked you because of illegal settings, which are considered hacking. They block you for a certain amount of time, and then when you can try again, it occures again, they will probably block you till further notice...

But dsl is usually PPPoA.

so we can say this as a statstics:

if 56dialup  con  give u about 5 k download speed then an 256dsl con wil give u about 25k download speed

at an avrege of 1 for every 10,,,, is that true? this is haw we mesure it? that means a 1mb con should

give a download speed of 100..right?

i have a 6mbit connection

this comes to a avarage download speed of 600 kilobytes per second.

normally you divide by 8 because 1 byte is 8 bits so a 56 k modem has theoriticly a speed of 7 kilobytes per second. but because you never get the full speed it would be around 5 indeed..

so a 1 mbit line (1024 bits per second) will let you a speed of 128 kilobyts. But because that maximum speed is never made, you will indeed download at a speed around the 100 kilobytes per second..

one small error in your calculation, you have a parity bit which isn't used for data. So your speeds is correct although you don't get that much effective data in when you download. Next to that your ISP overbooks your line which results in slower speeds depending on how much you are overbooked. Usually 1:50, or 1:10 for a more pricy connection.

Next to that the internet routers of your ISP and the country you are in. Believe it or not but when every one in my country logs in on their breack from work the internet slows down. And the site you are visiting, if the server you request a webpage from has another 20.000 connections at the same time your download speed will also be slower.

Hence you never really have the speed you are paying for ;)

I didn't notice that because it would get TO difficult to understand for sp1cy..

but ok..

little note on your 20.000 connections at the same time, thats where Content Switches and load balancers come in :P

but yeah the line is usually overbooked..

unless you pay 300 euros a month for a 1:1 1 mbit sdsl connection...

I didn't notice that because it would get TO difficult to understand for sp1cy..

u are totaly correct on that one.. but what i did understand is that what i said is correct

for an 256k con u get an avrge download speed of 25 to 27  not 32 as it should be by the calculato.

A: In data communications, a kilobit is a thousand bits (1,000) bits. It's commonly used for measuring the amount of data that is transferred in a second between two points. Kilobits per second is usually shortened to Kbps (or kbps). For example, 1500kbps is 1,500,000 bits per second.

1 bit (b) (0 or 1) = one binary digit

1 kilobit ( kb) = 1,000 bits

1 Megabit (Mb) = 1,000,000 bits

1 Gigabit (Gb) = 1,000,000,000 bits

To find your theoretical download speed for your line, divide your advertised speed by 8:

1500kbps / 8 = 187.5 KB/s

or by 10 to include overhead:

1500kbps / 10 = 150 KB/s

copyed from dslreport web.....

so dividing by 10 is rong from math point of view but correct as a final resolt

you know I wanted to post that this morning to. 1000 bits don't equal 1 kbits.

1024 bits equal 1 kbits. For the weird reason erjin99 mentioned kilo, mega .. are not factors of 1000 but 1024.

I just wonderd why dslreports (which usually has good explenations) whould have the info you quoted. :)

i was recomended for adsl report by guys at pcmechanics forums to tweak up my networking settings

it is a very good web and they have a very good tweak test and tool  as for the qouted part

it is in the faq section and i didnt copy it from a message at the forum allow me to provide

a direct link to the q&a    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks/6.+Speed#2606

this is an answer on a question on haw fast can u get on a dsl

but either way this dont effect what they mean to say whitch is u lose 10 to 20 % of ure speed

to overhead offcorse this is new to me coz i am new to dsl and i was expecting to have somthing like 30k for download speed but now i have only 26 to 27.. but i must say after i used that tool (DR TCP) well the download speed meeter is the same 26k but the files are downloaded faster even in multi player games i noticed improvment maybe due to stabelty and reduce packet loss.. chek it out

I'm not quite sure about tweaking your MTU..

Because if you set  your MTU to high, your connection can get very slow, because of packet loss.

If this occures, with TCP it will be retransmitted. So if there is packet loss and you have a high MTU value, that entire packet needs to be retransmitted. Causing your network to become slow.

MS windows 95 there is a MTU of 1500 set in the registry.

Microsoft advises a MTU of 576 bytes for an internet connection. Since windows 98 this is the default MTU.

I think the default MTU is good enough. You won't notice the difference. unless you set your MTU to some huge values..

Than you will notice your network to get slower and slower..

haw about my  RWIN (TCP Receive Window).. dose tweaking that make any deffrence? i dont understand

what u said very well do u think i must not use the tool at all? and if  i do can u tell me

the value i should use for the mtu and rwin please.. thank you