So, tell me... ;)

stefanhendriks

Just a question out of curiousity. I have a poll running at my site, which asks how people think about the global/local warfare method. Which would make the game quite interesting.

Besides that i am wondering how you would react upon a "almost identical" dune 2 clone. With a few updates here and there in the interface, but not more adding to it. Let me give you a few 'options'. And tell me, what would you like more. Or, perhaps you don't even would like to see an almost identical dune 2 clone at all?

(NOTE: I don't do this as a poll in this topic, because i'd like to hear why as well, so just reply here with your thoughts please).

Options:

1. I'd like to see a pure dune 2 clone, 320x200 mode, same interface. Would be cool. If edible i could play as Sardaukar and make my own maps.

2. I'd like to see a dune 2 clone, up the gfx to 640x480 but don't change them. A bit newer interface blending the 'dune 2 buy style' with 'c&c buy style' using dune 2 gfx, and its ok. No new gfx, just the same but on different places.

3. I'd like to see a dune 2 clone, with gfx upped to 640x480 or even higher! The gfx updated, so its a bit more modern. And the interface should be like C&C or Dune 2000

4. I'd like to see a dune 2 clone, super gfx made, custom made preferrable, new interface style.

5. Another dune 2 clone? No, i am not interested.

Do note: Ofcourse a 'clone' would benefit from experience today, so some enhancements are there. Its just, personally i would go for option 2. If i would like to see a dune 2 clone, it would be like that.

D2TM is a total new game, using the DUNE 2 gfx and scene as a base, since i (we) am a big fan of DUNE 2, and i still am. Somehow, seeing the 'blocky' gfx of DUNE 2 ( i play sometimes DUNE 2 on DosBox) makes me feel nostalgic. So i just ask this, how do you experience this? Perhaps i am the only wierdo here? ;)

Just some thoughts:

Opt1. Dune 2/Super Dune 2 plus various editors (including yours Stefan ;)) offer just about everything in it. DOS box provides neat sound and cool DOS feeling.

Opt2. Dune Legacy fits into description. I hope they'll make it up to version 1.0 and higher some day ::)

Opt3. Opt4. Gives a wide field for various creativity. I think its good.

Opt5. I haven't seen even a pair of Dune 2 clones that have been totally the same. Every 'clone maker' (no pun intended) tries to add something new (unless the clone's just a way to practice in coding).

Yes basicly every option is 'filled' but i think option 2 is a nice one... Ie, i like Dune Legacy, but i find it too fast, its too small, its not how I would do it (not entirely). So if i had tons of time, i would try to do nr 2 ;)

Nr 3 and 4, yes, they offer creativity. Like D2TM. its something new, and something old. Blending together. With some dedicated people it will work! :) Time and money is not an issue. ;)

My options will be number 2 or 3 if possible.....

Still playing dune2 original with dossbox 0.63 i play one game a week.

And in my opinions options 2 will be the easiest and you could had stuff

later on.....

If you choose like options 4 it will take a while before we see something

because i think you are more close to number 2 options.

And for the D2TM may be in three to fives years :) ;)

I won't mind a Dune clone with all the dune 2 music and sounds and everything.... frankly I don't mind Dune 2. I just hate the interface, having to click in order to scroll quickly, and no band-boxing, and having to click on MOVE to move units. Those are my biggest problems with the game. Fixing that is enough for me. The global thing is a major bonus though. I wouldn't care at all about the resolution, just make sure it doesn't get so small it becomes difficult to manage.

I just hate the interface, having to click in order to scroll quickly, and no band-boxing, and having to click on MOVE to move units. Those are my biggest problems with the game.

Um, did you try shortcuts? M for move, A for attack and in some versions also harvest. That simple ;)

Hi all,

I love Dune 2!

The one think that I ever wanted from dune 2 was a way to play it in multiplayer mode.

An authentic dune 2 with multiplayer option would be a killer app.

Also I think that this game can run easyly on palms and pockets! [i don't know what can be done about mouse ...]

and another good option would be a more advanced way to use the mouse and keyboard like in dune 2000 [multiple selection, control and shift to create groups]

Regards,

Edison

Well, where it's going at the moment, it looks like somewhere in between DI, DII, D2000 and Emperor. Which sounds good, actually. And there already exist dune 2 clones, so I don't think we need to make another that just lets you play through the houses. The roadmap, if it's realisable, would add a lot to the game.

• 4 weeks later...

If you take a great game like Dune 2 and make too many changes, the game isn't neccessarily great anymore.

My approach concerning D2TM would be a cautious one, only suggesting changes to things that were a real nusciance in dune 2, adding re-playability like skirmish and multiplayer but leaving the rest exactly as is. That's what I'd do but it's in your hands Stefan. Whatever you make I'm sure it'll be fantastic!

• 1 month later...