Factions 2

Dante

"Chancellor." The Emperor bowed respectfully as Chancellor Relnev entered one of the many antechambers of the palace library. "Won't you join me for a drink?" He indicated a decanter and two chalices on a nearby table. A snooper hovered ostentatiously nearby.

"Your majesty. I would be delighted." The Chancellor bowed himself. The double doors slammed shut behind him. He did not react.

"My predecessor was apparantly not very fond of this vintage." The Emperor went on conversationally, pouring a measure into one of the chalices. "I don't see why, myself. It's quite delicious." He offered the chalice to Relnev, who accepted it silently. Inhaling gently, the Chancellor caught a powerful aroma of honey and nutmeg, with a pine-like hint in the background. The spirit itself was a warm golden colour, and had a syrupy consistency. The Emperor sipped his own drink appreciatively, smiling as he did so.

"Mmm, good stuff." He licked his lips. "There's barrels of the stuff in the cellars you know. If you want one then you're welcome."

"With all due respect, your majesty, I did not travel to Kaitan to discuss beverages with you." Relnev stated. The Emperor rolled his eyes.

"Oh, alright. Pleasantries can wait." He reached over and pulled a cord. Immediately the lights dimmed, and the large drapes at one end of the room opened up to reveal a huge circular window. Outside, the last red rays of sunlight were disappearing below the horizon. The Emperor walked around to the window, where two high-backed chairs sat at either side of it. Sitting down on one of them, he indicated for Relnev to sit opposite. The Chancellor did so, lowering himself into the throne-like chair with dignity. The Emperor said nothing, but looked out of the window, swirling his drink in one hand. Relnev took the oppertunity to examine the room.

This was clearly not the entire library. The room was small, the ceiling hardly the height of two men. All six walls were lined with books, even the one holding the window. The carpet was thick, and coloured a dark red. The bookcases were wooden, and well polished. Even dimly lit as it was, the small section of the library boasted luxury and opulence. In fact, the new Emperor looked slightly out of place. Surrounded by this extravagance, his plain black clothes looked drab and uninteresting. His hair, tied back into its customary long ponytail, was completely devoid of decoration. Remembering that this was a man who was supposed to do everything for a reason, the Chancellor pondered why he would choose this particular room.

"Would you say that you are a vindictive man, Chancellor?" The Emperor asked casually, looking out of the window. Relnev scanned the question for hidden meanings.

"No." He answered. "I take what actions are necessary, and no more. Why do you ask?"

"My sister, Ekaterina." The Emperor ignored the question, "You met her on Arrakis, I believe. What did you think of her?" Relnev took a moment to consider this as well.

"She seems to have a pathlogical desire to cause suffering to others." He said finally. "She is a sadist of the worst order, with no qualms or morals. I would not say that she has high intelligence, but her determination is unquestioned. Her actions on Athalon have further proven her to be merciless and vindictive. I cannot help but wonder how she became this way." He added pointedly.

"She was taught by our father that everything in this existance could be achieved by hurting people." The Emperor said without emotion. "Pain was a tool to him. I theorise that something he demonstrated or did to her at a young age has traumatised her for life. In effect she has been psychologically damaged from the age of four." He leaned forward and looked directly at Relnev for the first time since sitting down. "Tell me, does this change your view of her in any way?"

"...No." Relnev said at last. "She may be damaged, but she is still a monster."

"Mm. Yes." The Emperor sat back, looking away once more. "A monster..." He trailed off, still swirling the liquid in his glass. For about a minute, the two men were silent.

"You have a purpose behind these questions, your majesty." Relnev stated. "If I might be so frank, what is it?" The Emperor's eyes looked over. He smiled sadly.

"Ah, for a moment there you reminded me of Aleks." He said quietly. "He always used to talk like that when he got frustrated. Ekaterina..." He looked upwards, thinking. "You may know, I promised the Trebesians an oppertunity. They may attack Athalon and in doing so may attempt to kill my sister." Relnev nodded. "You know that I am a man of my word. I made that promise, I signed that treaty, and I shall follow it to the letter. However." He sipped his drink. "I have also made another promise. It was extracted from me on Arrakis, by someone who knew how to phrase the words."

"Aleksandr made you promise not to kill Ekaterina." Relnev stated.

"Indeed." The Emperor nodded affirmation. "Nor to 'allow her death.' And so I am left in a difficult situation. I must allow the Trebesians their oppertunity, but my sister cannot die."

"And what has this to do with me?" The Chancellor asked.

"You are not a vindictive man." The Emperor smiled, nodding in reference to Relnev's earlier answer. "I am aware that you forswore Ix's neutrality for the first time when Ekaterina bombed Athalon IV from orbit. But I am also aware that you do not cause suffering for the sake of suffering. I know that you have spent time around Aleks, and he has a way of rubbing off on people. So what I ask is this: I want your help in preserving the life of my sister. She will lose Athalon, I have little doubt about that. The Trebesians have built a large force with surprising speed, and though her city is a fortress, she has not prepared for all eventualities. She will not hold out."

"And what would you do with her?" Relnev asked.

"Sedate her, I expect." Hundro sighed. "She lashes out at anything and everything around her. The only way to prevent her from hurting others or herself is to render her unconscious. If she could remain asleep for the rest of her life, that would be... not ideal, but workable."

"That is an interesting concept of saving someone." Relnev said, avoiding a direct answer.

"I promised to keep her alive, nothing else." The Emperor answered defensively, before sitting back. "I don't like it. If you have any better alternatives, then by all means suggest them. But I am nearing the end of my time in the sun. If I do not act soon, I will be unable to act at all. Tell me, Chancellor. What do you think?"

Reply to Trebeis:[hide]Feel free to remove your men from Kaitan, we have the situation in hand. We wish you luck.

Moritani. [/hide]

Carth's sattelites charted the planet and found many large settelements. He dispatched men to make contact with the native population and the reports were coming in.

It seemed that despite the fact that the planet was quite large, the population was quite unitarion... they all spoke the same language, and there were people that were talking galach as well. The few adventurers that left the planet and returned at old age.

As the time passed, the chieftains of this world agreed to sign trading agrrements with Carth's faction. But they were reluctant in offering military assistance.

The Ratah warriors wore large wooden or metal shields and used weird forward-bent swords called "falx" or "falcatus". They were unused to with the use of shields. And they never saw laser guns. But as the messengers saw, they were quite eager to learn.

For the time being no Ratah native is allowed into Carth's service, though the estimations tell that if he wanted to hire mercenaries about 20.000 will join up. At least. If he would earn the trust of the chieftains the numbers would grow up a lot.

The Golden Lion landed gracefully on Salusa Secundus, blowing up clouds of biting dust. Shaddam watched from the bridge as soldiers hurried towards it, their submachine-guns slung over their neck, bouncing against their chests. Shaddam smiled ruefully.

Ah, Chalice,Wensicia.My daughters. What sinister plan are you putting in motion now?

The door opened, and Shaddam walked out into the blazing heat and piercing wind of Salusa, shielding his face with one arm. A guard ran over to him. "This way, my liege!" the man shouted over the whistling of the wind. He was pointing to a distant outline with one hand, with the other, tugging Shaddam's arm. The Archduke obeyed, and the two men hurried over to the outline. Soon they reached it - What looked like a cross between an ornithopter and a helicopter. The door opened and his youngest daughter, Wensicia Corrino, peered out impatiently.

"What took you, father?" She demanded crossly, pulling him up roughly by his shirt sleeve. With a gasp, Shaddam plopped down on the soft leather seats. The door closed, and the craft started humming. Wensicia was calmly sipping a cup of spice coffee.

"Hello, Wensicia."

"Hello. Father." She said it emotionlessly, still sipping her spice coffee. Shaddam regained his composure, and inquired about the craft.

"Oh, this thing?" She said offhandedly. "As you should know, father, aircraft often fail here. That is why I had a reserve propulsion system installed. I wouldn't want to be dropping hundreds of meters from the air, now would I?" Wensicia concluded coldly. Shaddam sensed she was angry. His daughters always treated him like this when they were displeased with his actions.

"What is it now, Wensicia?" She got aggressive.

"Well, father, I am not amused at your losing your throne to some filthy Moritani!" Shaddam closed his eyes and braced himself for the next assault.These tirades could go on forever. "And, against my better judgement,"(Her manner had changed completely, she was now utterly calm and continued sipping her coffee)"I have decided to not kill you, merely send you away." Now Shaddam was confused. Confused - then - angry.

"What do you mean, Wensicia? Kill me?"

She put down her coffee and looked seriously into his grey eyes.

"Yes. Let me tell you something, father. While you were out there, bravely sending out two whole legions of Sardaukar to be slaughtered by the Trebesians and Ixians, then blindly trusting every word that Hundro told you, and in the end being overthrown by him, I and Chalice have been making our own plans." Here she paused and took a sip of her spice coffee. Shaddam, who wanted to hear (Desperately, I may add) what these plans were, asked impatiently,

"What plans? Go on!" The craft rocked and Wensicia put down her coffee.

"Plans like this, father. We have been training and recruiting soldiers and men for our House. We are not announcing it and are keeping it as discreet as possible, of course, so that the Emperor doesn't get any ideas of stopping us while we are weak, but it is happening. We plan to return to power. Oh, we don't mean trying to take back the throne!" She scoffed, seeing the look on Shaddam's face. "The Moritani is much too powerful now, and we have no plans to do so anyway, at least in the short term. What I mean is power! Pure and simple. Control and influence EVERYWHERE!The Landsraad, Houses Minor and Major, CHOAM, the Guild, you name it! We have BIG plans, father. We plan on going to war with several Houses Minor, who we will, inevitable, triumph over, and go on from there. We have agents in the Landsraad who are causing instability as we speak, and have several top-class Facedancers that we purchased from the Tleilaxu at our command.In short, father," she raised her eyebrows. "We are expanding. And you, old and weak, are an obstacle."

Shaddam hadn't even noticed that the craft was beginning to descend. Looking out of the window, Shaddam saw they were circling over a landing strip on a large and extravigant villa high in the mountains. Turning back to Wensicia, he saw that she was smiling.

"This will be our headquarters, for now. Anyway, as I said, father, you are an obstacle. But I could not kill you. I am not so sure about Chalice, but you will not die in a horrible accident as long as I have something to say. Instead, father, you will be relocated and will live out the rest of your days in a comfortable mansion out in the desert. Everything will be supplied. Shall we disembark, father?"

As they left the craft, Shaddam felt numb. He had no idea that his daughters could be so wily. He looked up from his boots and saw his second-eldest daughter, Chalice, lightly running towards them, smiling evilly. She slowed and looked at Shaddam.

"Hello, father. Welcome home."

"Ah, Aleks. I hope you have not been idle while I was gone!" Aleksandr spun around, surprise registering openly on his face.

"Hello Atillian, I did not expect you to arrive back so quickly."

"Well, we were lucky enough to have been dismissed by your brother just as a Highliner came into orbit. It was simple enough to pack up and leave." Attilian Said, sitting down in the thick arm-chair and looking around his office. It appeared... more orderly. "Aleks, What have you done in here?" he continued, cocking an eyebrow.

"Well, while you were gone, I finally managed to get the house-keepers in here."

Atillian nodded, and then surged from his chair, grabbing Aleksandr by the shoulders.

"Aleks! I know you have been upset with my actions since the Tsimpo incedent, but I must know! What would you have ME do!?" The Young duke appeared close to breaking down. A few slight tremours travelled along his body. He glanced at he Urn containing his father... And sobbed quietly.

Tsimpo In accordance with the treaty with the Emperor, engineering teams had been scrambled to the ruined site of the old city. Mapping and planning had been initiated, and soon enough, Construction would begin.

Orbit The fleet back in almost it's entirety, the space around Arrakis again resembled a large flock of black birds. Ships huvered everywhere and now, Ixian Battle-Stations floated in abiss with the large fleet.

Ix "This is Commander Ahab De'Garious. I have been ordered to stay in orbit here until further notice. I would like to dock with some of your stations to speed the repairs of my ships. Awaiting permission."

Plans within plans within plans...

Chalice Corrino delicately placed the valuable china on the glass table and sat down on the soft, plush divan, closing her eyes and planning out their expansion. Her Bene Gesserit instincts told her to be very careful going about this whole thing. Carth seemed like a pushover, but his men seemed loyal to the point of fanaticism and, spies reported, he had just expanded onto a new planet, and was in the process of gaining the trust and support of the inhabitants. Backwards brutes, yes, but there were many of them. The loose combat-suit she was wearing itched. Chalice ignored it for a while, then all the pent-up frustration was let out when she drew her maula pistol and put several shots into the shelves holding china worth thousands of solarii. They shattered instantly. Holstering her pistol, Chalice got up, put on her cloak, and went outside to the training grounds.

The army that they had now - tiny, barely 3000 men - was being prepped and trained, and they, in turn, trained and prepped new recruits. And so the cycle went. She found a commander she had met several times and considered herself friendly with and started inquiring about the troops.

"Commander Ghalfahg!" Chalice exclaimed in her sickly-sweet voice, hurrying over to him. The surly man turned, grunting in reply.

"I see the troops are doing well."

A nod.

"But what I wish to know is the status of those Sardaukar that we have obtained." When her father was overthrown, several Sardaukar closest to him defected, and several weak men turned and joined House Corrino.All in all, 57 Sardaukar turned over to House Corrino. Chalice would rather not put cowardly men in positions of power, but their military expertise was needed.

"Well, m'lady, they are doing well. They are unhappy with the lack of training equipment, but they are not seriously disgruntled about anything." Chalice smiled at this. If the Sardaukar stayed content, it would be all the easier to execute the plan.

"Good. Keep them happy. You have done well, Ghalfahg."

"Thank you, my lady," the commander said, bowing. Chalice nodded and went back to the headquarters. Now all that remained was to send a message to Carth Bindar, arranging a meeting.

[hide]Transmission to Carth Bindar, of the Kondor Cartel.

Greetings, Carth. My name is Aliyah, and I have an interesting proposition for you. It involves military and financial aid. I cannot tell you much now, but it suffices to say that I have the backing of a very powerful house. May we meet somewhere to discuss  my proposition? I will come unarmed and alone.Also, your enemies are my enemies.

If you accept my proposition, give your reply to the messenger who delivered this to you.

Sincerely, Aliyah.[/hide]

Chalice finished the letter and handed it to a waiting aide. Then, she lay down on the divan and fell asleep.

"You didn't do anything to Tsimpo." Aleksandr replied calmly, blinking his mismatched eyes. Duke Atilian stared at him for a moment, before comprehension dawned.

"Arsunt." He breathed. "Oh gods, I couldn't even remember which city I destroyed!" He lifted his hands from Aleksandr's shoulders, turning to his father's urn. "What can I do?" He choked. Aleks regarded Atilian in silence for a moment, before stepping forward and putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Stand by your principles." He said quietly. "No matter what they are, if you have a self-imposed standard to hold yourself to then you're on the right path."

"Is that what you do?" Atilian grimaced.

"...Yes." Aleksandr replied.

The two men stood in silence for the next few minutes, each thinking his own thoughts. The presence of the Old Duke's urn was calming somehow, and Atilian reigned in his emotions. Eventually he stood up, and Aleksandr removed his hand from the Duke's shoulder. The both stood in front of the urn, contemplating the passing of the great man.

"Would he approve of my actions?" Atilian asked quietly.

"Of allying with Hundro? I think he would have approved of a situation resolved without casualties." Aleksandr replied diplomatically. "And you have legal carte blanche to regain your home. He would have approved of that, even if it wasn't your instigation." He closed his eyes for a moment, banishing the desire to tell the truth and be done with it.

"Yes. Athalon." Atilian sighed. "Do you... does this arrangement suit you?" He asked with difficulty.

'No, it's far too violent.' Aleksandr thought. 'It will be Trebesian against Trebesian, putting your people between a rock and a hard place. Thousands will die. The planet may be permanently damaged. Ekaterina will find the irony exquisite, and Hundro almost certainly plans to use the event to portray House Trebeis as warlike and barbaric. Blood of my blood, my sister may die.'

"It must suffice." He said quietly. 'No point in angering him. I have to trust Hundro.'

Irulan Corrino, soon to be Moritani, sat at her desk and wrote in her diary. Her records of the past few days would, she imagined, be of great historical importance. She was debating on whether to add them to one of her existing manuscripts, or flesh them out a bit and publish them under their own title. She was beginning to opt for the latter, but knew that several weeks would pass before she came to a final decision. There was so much left to write, after all...

She finished this night's entry, closing the book carefully. Reaching over, she replaced it on its shelf and retrieved her journal. Here were the more formal entries, of palace data and political intricacies. Of secrets...

Chalice's intentions were recorded elsewhere of course, but still they preyed on her sister's mind. The charming and beautiful waif had proven to be far more devious than any of her sisters had given her credit for. Even Wensicia respected her prowess. Irulan started to document this morning's Landsraad meeting. Given the circumstances, it had been brief.

Of Josifa and Rugi, her other two sisters, Irulan was not yet sure. Rugi had been making regular visits to Salusa Secundus, and Irulan hadn't really seen her for months. As far as she was aware, Rugi was wavering. Josifa was the only other Corrino on Kaitan at the moment, having refused her father's offer of transport to Salua Secundus. Irulan planned to visit her tomorrow, to find out what she was doing.

And then there was the matter of her husband to be. Irulan smirked despite herself. She had already decided that she would need a whole new book for him. It would involve weeks of work writing, and months of research... She could hardly contain her anticipation. She finished that night's entry, with an uncharacteristic flourish.

Carth received a message while he was busy signing trade agrrements with the inhabitants of Ratah.

Even if they were quite backwards, they had a surplisingly complex spirituality. They thought themselves immortals. Death was just a passing to the realm of their god. Theri settelements were clean and well maintained even if they showed the lack of supplies.

They were cleaner than the homes of the Minor Houses of Arrakis. The abundance of water, the forests, the rivers, the oceans, the fertile lands were like paradise for Carth and his men.

The main exports of Ratah could be summarised into: marble ( several types), wood (several types), granite, grain, food in general, salt, leather, honey and wine. red rough wine the inhabitants drank almost abusevly.

On Gehay, above the planet, buissiness was going well, as the moon became a hub for the commerce in the area. The only impediment was that the land equipment still took lot of space. Now Carth was looking for a vacant spot on Ratah to build a city and to deploy the land armada. It just took place on gehay, space that could be used for trade.

Message to Aliyah:

[hide]As I cannot leave my domain, you are more than welcome to meet me on gehay, or if that does not suffice you we can meet on neutral ground on the planet below, Ratah. Make your choice.[/hide]

Message to House Trebeis:

[hide]I want to tell you that I can throw in battle around 30.000 men, 20.000 more than I had when I left Arrakis. You make sure I get past Athalon's space defences and I'll blow away the resistance. I've seen the ratahians in battle here and I can tell you that even if their thechnique isn't too sophisticated, they seem to be bread with tactical sense and legoin-like mentality. I'm waiting your answer, Atilian. Say hello to Alexandr as well for me. Carth[/hide]

OOC: Eck. It's hard to charecter-build when you cannot even remember important things such as names. *Kicks self*

Sitting alone several hours later. The Duke shuddered slightly. Events were taking a rather deep toll on the young man. Internally, he was becoming frightfully stressed. Although only Aleksandr seemed to have any notion of Atillian's condition. Worse, he had begun having terribal nightmares. Dreams filled with twisted images of thousands upon millions of people dying. Dying due to the actions of himself, and his enemy. Ekaterina. Flashes of brilliant violence, they invaded the Duke's sleep and denied him the last refuge offered by the night. He would soon crack if nothing was done.

And yet, to anyone besides his Brother. He still appeared the same brash, Confidant and tough young leader. However, soon enough, the time would come in which others noticed these changes.

These things, however, were beyond Atillian as he sat alone, in the darkness of his office. Deep in thought, he noticed not even the shuffling of the Ducial Guardsman Assigned outside the entrences. All that he saw, was the horrific nocturnal images that were so clear in his memory. The faces of those killed in Arsunt, and those killed and dying every day upon Athalon.

Suddenly, the Duke stood, and grabbed a parcel from under his desk. He made for the door, and then stopped. Withdrawing a pad from his pocket, he quickly jotted down a few things, set the pad upon his desk, and then headed once more for the door. Reaching it, he composed himself and quickly pushed through. The Nokker was visibly surprised.

"Nokker, get to Qapmoc's office. Bring him this ASAP!" The Duke ordered, handing a folded piece of paper to the Ducial Guardsman. The Nokker nodded and hurried off. The Duke then made his way through the large Palace, and after checking that he was not followed, simply exited out the front, into the night.

Message upon the Duke's desk.

Aleks. I have come to the conclusion tonight, that there is far more that can be done to assist those in need. On Arrakis and Abroad. I mean to see what it is that can be done to end these people's plight and hardship. Do not think me mad, I shall be back in due time. However, for the time being... Watch after things for me.

-Atillian.

Note to Qapmoc.

Sorry for the deception friend. It would of been hard to get away un-observed with one of your men around. Keep the security tight in my absence. When I return, I will confirm my identitiy with you or You-Know-Who. With the You-Know-What.

Reply to Carth Bindar.

[hide]Very good. We will keep you informed on the progression of our plans. You may have your House soon enough.

In the meanwhile, continue raining under my men. Good luck!

-Duke Atillian Trebeis of Arrakis and Athalon IV.[/hide]

The first bricks were layed for the new settelemnt on Ratah. Carth employed locals to build the city. Ornis were flying all around carrying materials, the ships were coming off orbit bringing external materials, and the ground vehicles helped in the pushing and pulling jobs. The plan was quite simple, but Carth hoped that his men would settle in the same area, thus creating a spontaneus effect, practically creating the city.

First were build the underground depos for the tanks, ornis, ships, ground vehicles, etc. And then, on top of this, Carth build his stronghold, a fortified pallace.

In remembrance of Arrakis he named this structure "the Den" as the place where he and his men spend most of their lifes.

Wensicia and Chalice read the brief message over silently. Several seocnds later, Chalice scoffed softly.

"Rather demanding, is he not, Wensicia?" Chalice asked, picking up a quill and dipped it into some rather strange dark green ink. Wensicia frowned.

"What's that ink? It isn't of the sort you usually use." Wensicia frowned when Chalice just smiled and continude writing, but swiftly. Very swiftly. Soon, Chalice was done and quickly rolled up the letter and placed it in an airtight container. The quill, too, she dropped delicately into another (airtight) container. These she sealed, and called aide. The man hurried over, bowing in the process.

"What is it my Lady wishes?" Chalice handed him the containers.

"Take the one with the message to the Senior Director of Communications. He has his orders. The other, dispose of it as you see fit. It is imperative that you do not open either of these containers. The one to be disposed of must not be burned or punctured. Do you understand?"

The aide nodded furiously, unnerved by those piercing green eyes.

Must be that Bene Gesserit blood she has in her... he though as he exited the room, carefully grasping the containers.

Back in the room, Chalice turned to Wensicia, trying her best to look innocent. Wensicia was not moved.

"Yes, sister, I want to know what that all was about." Nodding, Chalice plopped down on the divan.

"That, my dear sister, is a nasty virus. No known cure, since I modified it. Completely undetectable, as it isn't poison, and I made it to elude the snoopers." At this Wensicia arched her eyebrows. Chalice laughed softly.

"Do not look so incredulous, sister! This is fluid from a fungi that grows in the sewers of Giedi Prime. Very rare, I may add, since most of these fungi don't survive in the toxic sewage. However, I was able to find a few examples. I brought it back here, and it was a simple matter to breed it a bit, add a few bacteriae from other virus's to it, and voila! this is the end result. Clever, no?" Chalice smirked, apparently content with herself. Wensicia rolled her eyes.

"That is all very well, Chalice, but what does it do?" Chalice smiled evilly, getting to her feet and walking over to a viewscreen. Entering a password, several small images came up.Chalice tapped one.

"Watch, and your question shall be answered."

The screen stretched across the whole viewscreen. It showed a large man lying on the ground, with a plate of delicious-looking food in front of him. The man groaned, looking at the food longingly. Wensicia didn't notice that her sister was, apparently, gleeful.

"Here it comes."

Wensicia started as the man started spasming horribly. His body contorted in U shape, his fingers arching backwards and veins standing out on his neck. He started shaking, and the his arms and legs started flailing about. It went on like this for a minute or two, and then the man slowly stilled. Chalice turned off the viewscreen.

"In addition to the spasming," she announced, "The vocal chords are attacked and the victim starts stuttering horribly when he talks. The spasm attacks hit every 10 minutes, give or take. Stomach pains are not uncommon, and several vicims have lost control of their bladder and sphincter." She wrinkled her nose. "Most unpleasent. Best of all, the Ixians probably don't have this fungi in their database, and therefore will not be able to create an antidote in any short time. And I have the only antidote."

Winsecia grinned, saying praisingly,

"You really have outdone yourself this time, sister."

"Thank you for the praise, but I'm not done yet.One antidote simply cures the virus, no strings attached. The other...has been specially prepared with the virus in it. Each time he takes the antidote, Carth will be cured for - oh, say a day, then the next day it will come back. This way, he will become dependant on us."

Wensicia shook her head in wonder, smiling.

"I don't know why you weren't born to the Moritani." Chalice shrugged and then remembered something.

"Oh, Wensicia, be a darling and meet Rugi. I have a letter to send to the Emperor. No, I'm NOT going to poison him, you vixen." Wensicia left, and Chalice started composing a letter, this time, in regular black ink.

Most Esteemed Emperor!

I have heard rumours that the Kondor Cartel is being quite active and independant. Indeed, I have also heard that they are unhappy with how you are resolving the Athalon situation, and plan some sort of subversive movement. Just informing your Highness. Of course, these may be rumours, and nothing more.

With all respect,

Chalice Corrino

Carth Bindar, of the Kondor Cartel:

Gehay will be fine. I will come, in, say, 6 days?

Aliyah

Probably enough time to produce a vaccine. I forgot to tell Wensicia that the virus is infectious...

Davidu, if you're kind enough to let the virus infect Carth, I want to let you know that it is infectious, but one thing Chalice doesn't know is that it gets weaker and weaker as it jumps from person to person, and you should RP it that way. Besides, it would be in your best interests. ;)

<O.O.C.>

"And now it's time for... EXPLANATIONS WITH RELNEV!!" said the random Gameshow host.

"...What the smeg?" Relnev asked, standing behind a shoddily constructed balsa-wood podium, covered in neon light-strips that hurt his eyes even if he closed them.

"QUIEEEEEET!" screeched the host, his head and mouth swelling to 14 times its normal size as it did so, only to immediately return to the slit-eyed, wide-mouthed, orange-skinned-and-haired, permanent grin afterwards.

"...'kay."

"Here's our first constant!" ululated the host.  Relnev wasn't sure how one ululated, but the host did.  The words "Kings of Chaos" appeared in big, pink letters on a wall that wasn't there a few seconds ago.

"Can I have our second constant please, Jenny?" smirked the host, inclining his head to the right.  Sure enough, a large pile of TNT with a post-it note reading "Jenny" was slowly ticking away, and reached zero just as Relnev caught sight of it.

A small, semi-nuclear explosion ensued, but only Relnev seemed to be affected, his face and clothes charred and blackened.  Where Jenny once was, big flaming letters spelled out the words "World of Warcraft".

"Why am I here?" Relnev asked meekly.  The host whipped his head around so fast, it became detached from his neck.  It flew towards Relnev, eating him in one gulp upon contact.  Inside was an exact replica of the show; the same scale, the same burn marks... only the host was grinning again, with his head firmly attached.

"Look folks!  Here comes the OPERATOR OF THE DAY!!" the host squealed with infantile glee, as a giant ">" sign floated down from the rafters - which were, understandably, built of tofu - and placed itself between the two constants.  The message read:

WORLD OF WARCRAFT > KINGS OF CHAOS.

"This has been Orange McGrinsmile, breaking the fourth wall.  Until next time, folks... this is... EXPLANATIONS WITH RELNEV!!"

*World a splode*

</O.O.C.>

Incidentally, pestering me to post does not get results.  I hope your minds are now comfortable in their new, liquid existence. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Every time that I go away for a few days, I hope that during my absence there will have been a lot of activity. And every time when I get back, I find disagreements and a general mess. Except this time. This time, none of the active threads has been replied to. Considering that I've spent two days on this post, even when my room's internet connection is down, I'm not very pleased.

The Lady Ekaterina Moritani, formerly Harkonnen and prior to that Moritani once more, sat at her desk and drummed her fingers on its expensive surface. The momement was completely unconscious, and anyone who might dare to glance into the Lady's blank eyes would clearly see that her mind was elsewhere. The screams that filtered upward from the slave pits far below fell on deaf ears. In her mind, Ekaterina was far away from her stark office, or even the rocky city of Catrione. Athalon itself was left behind, as the Lady Ekaterina considered Arrakis.

Arrakis. Ekaterina sneered in distaste. She had only just disembarked, and already the heat was intolerable. Even the Grumman jungles weren't as hot as this, and at least they were humid! She tapped her foot impatiently, waiting for the transport that her incompetant husband-to-be was supposed to have had waiting for her. Two Harkonnen slaves fanned her face, but Ekaterina was beginning to suspect that they were drying out what little moisture remained in her skin. She was tempted to have them killed, but realised that it would probably set a bad precedent. The twins had been a gift, after all. A wedding present from the Baron himself... Ekaterina would have smirked, if she hadn't been so irritated by her situation. She wondered why the Baron, if the rumours were true, would ever have given her two such handsome young men. There was probably something more to the gifts than met the eye, but she had no time to consider the possibilities right now. Instead, her mind was completely focused on cursing her brother. Either. Both. One so uncaring as to send her here, the other so over-caring as to be pathetic.

Ekaterina closed her eyes and grimaced as a crash behind her announced Aleksandr's presence. She could see, in her mind's eye, the puppy-like expression that he would wear later as he scuttled up to her to appologise. His brown eyes would dart from the ground to her face, and then back down again. It was just irritating. On reflection, Ekaterina considered, it was probably because he disliked their father that she hated him so much. Aleksandr had never shown even the slightest appreciation for anything that Viscount Irios had done for them. He turned away from practical demonstrations, avoided his father's presence wherever possible. Instead he spent as much time as possible with their mother!

Ekaterina didn't dislike her mother, but Aleksandr's preference for her over their father was just so... stupid! Didn't the boy realise that it was his father who was the greater? The Viscountess spent all of her time sewing and gardening! In the few instances where Ekaterina had joined them, she had learned nothing of value or interest. They hardly even talked.

It infuriated Ekaterina that neither of her two brothers - those destined to inherit! - properly appreciated what a truly great man that their father was. The Viscount had uncovered countless plots against him in the Landsraad, successfully defended House Moritani from numerous attacks by the dangerous House Ginaz, provided his family with every possible learning experience in order to make them stronger, personally developed thirty two new ways to extract infomation from a captive without breaking a sweat... And yet Aleksandr balked at his valuable lessons. Disobeyed him! Ekaterina seethed, clenching her fists at her side. The pain from her nails as they dug into her palms brought her back into the present, and she recognised a familiar shuffling step.

Fyodor drew alongside his mistress, sapho-stained lips pursed in a revolting leer. He wore plain brown robes, contrasting markedly with his lady's white dress.

"What has he broken?" Ekaterina sighed, looking out at the Arrakeen starport. It was... sandy. She waved away one of the twins as the left side of her face began to feel too dry.

"They aren't broken, M'lady." Fyodor droned. "But he was carrying part of your blade collection." Ekaterina felt the hot rage rising, but put it down. Already, the boy was an embarassment.

"I hate it here already." She muttered.

"Arrakis is not reputed to be the most comfortable of planets." Fyodor replied. Ekaterina glared at him. The twisted mentat shrank back slightly.

"...Of course." Ekaterina muttered, turning away. She beckoned the fan-holder back into place. Mistress and mentat stood together for several long minutes, gazing out as behind them, the Moritani frigates were unloaded.

"If I might be so bold, M'lady, are you troubled by something?" Fyodor asked in a neutral tone.

'For a mentat, you were never that subtle.' Ekaterina thought. "You mean, am I annoyed by my brother's actions on Grumman." She stated. Fyodor nodded.

"You were very close to your father, I imag-" He was cut off.

"He's not dead!" Ekaterina rounded on Fyodor, aiming a sharp swipe at the mentat's head. Fyodor carefully sidestepped, and the two resumed their positions.

"Of course, my sincere apologiies M'lady." Fyodor nodded a bow. "But the Viscount is... not well. His condition must be upsetting."

'Stop trying to find buttons to press, Fyodor...' Ekaterina turned a sharp look in the mentat's direction. "I am not upset." She said out loud. "The Viscount will recover, in time. And he will put and end to this ridiculous farce. His illness will pass, and my usurping family will... learn their lesson."

'Bold words, my Lady...' Fyodor looked sidelong at Ekaterina.

"Hundrop has gone too far this time.." She continued quietly, almost to herself.

"It behooves a noble to be prepared for all eventualities, M'lady." Fyodor commented. Ekaterina looked up.

"What?" She asked sharply.

"My advice to you is to make the best of this situation, M'lady." The mentat explained. "It may be, some time before the Viscount recovers. Your time here, if spent productively, could prove useful upon your inevitable return."

"You mean... gain influence here and use it once I return to Grumman?" Ekaterina's were already lighting up with new possibilities.

"You are marrying into a family with more power and wealth than your own, and almost as much influence." Fyodor smiled slightly. "If played well, this could be a way to prove yourself to your father once he awakes." Ekaterina was hardly listening.

"Arrakis may be the centre of the universe, but it is a rural backwater..." she murmured. "Almost nobody comes here willingly..." Her mind was racing with her father's lessons. "I could build a power base here. Influence Arrakis and you influence everything." She paused. Her expression fell. "But Hundro would never allow me to grow too independent. He would cut off my every attempt to move out of his power."

"My Lady, this is Arrakis. Not Grumman." Fyodor pointed out with an ugly smile. Ekaterina's eyes widened.

"He can't stop me." She breathed, her face already twisting into a malevolant grin. "That interfering, supercilous, paranoid bastard! He's finally slipped! I'm free of him! Free!"

'And he is free of you, My Lady.' Fyodor thought. He cleared his throat. "There is still your husband to consider, M'lady." He pointed out.

"Husband to be." Ekaterina corrected. "And he won't be an obstacle. He has almost as little spine as Aleks. And if he suddenly decides to act otherwise, well..." She sighed happily. "I'll do it. I'll do everything that I never could. My own experiments, my personal guard! Contact Aurelien, tell him to begin scouting. Vail will serve as my guard for the time being."

"At once, M'lady." Fyodor nodded, drifting backwards. Ekaterina looked out at Arrakeen, her expression triumphant now.

"You will be mine." She whispered fiercely.

Arrakis. Who'd have thought that this glorified sandpit could have been the site for such a mess? The Lady Ekaterina sat behind a cheap desk, in a cheap mansion, in the cheap city of Arsunt. Her chin rested on her hand, as she gazed at the poorly fashioned furniture for lack of anything better to do. How could everything have gone so wrong, so quickly? A copy of the triggering letter lay in front of her, its message still clear.

Lady Ekaterina,

Your actions as regent of the planet Arrakis have thusfar been both profitable and useful. However, the hostilities that you have garnered, especially with regard to the destruction of the city of Arrakeen, have forced us to reconsider your position. It is our considered opinion that your presence is not currently of benefit to our houses, and thus we are removing your authority in favour of Aleksandr Harkonnen, your brother. He is to take up all duties and associated benefits in governorship of Arrakis.

With respect,

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen of Geidi Prime, Lankiveil, Arrakis...

Regent Hundro Moritani, of Grumman.

They had been working together all along. The Baron and her thrice-cursed brother. On reflection, Ekaterina considered, she shouldn't have been surprised. And Hundro couldn't have been pleased with her for killing the formal alliance between Houses Moritani and Harkonnen. For some reason, Ekaterina didn't feel angry. She wasn't even annoyed. Sitting at her desk, reading the damning letter over and over again... She felt empty. A gaping hole in her centre. No anger. No malice. She had nowhere to go.

The Viscount had still not awoken from his coma, despite the attention of the suk doctors that hundro had apparantly hired. Ekaterina's contacts on Grumman were unable to say whether there were really any doctors. Neither could they determine whether the Viscount was still alive. With her father's return growing ever more distant, and the Baron's betrayal, doors were rapidly closing. Ekaterina sat, and Ekaterina stared. She had no allies now. Nobody to aid her. Even her business partners had abandoned her.

The slightest flame of anger flickered for a moment in the emptiness, before dying once more. The Ixians, the people she had paid good money, had abandoned her in favour of her wretched brother. She had pinned Relnev as someone who would have been sensible enough to realise where all the custom would come from. His people had made her a plague, for crying out loud! How could he abandon her?! She had paid, dammit, she had subsidised his research! The flame flickered once more.

Nobody would help her now. Not Relnev, and certainly not the wretched smugglers or Trebesians. Not the Baron, not her brother. She had only herself.

Only herself. Well, dammit, she would just have to stand on her own! The flame flared.

"Stand on my own..." Ekaterina murmured into the ether. Well, it wasn't like there was an alternative. Hundro and Aleksandr now both held power over her, and galling as that was she would just have to live with it. She would work slowly, start from scratch. First Arsunt, and then the other cities. One by one... And she would make them pay. Relnev especially. She hadn't expected the smugglers to stand by her, but the ambassador had just turned away. Left her despite the fact that she was still a potential customer, and one that was far more likely to utilise the expertise of the Ixians than her mouse-like brother! The Lady seethed. Behind and to either side of her, the Trilu twins stood motionless.

"Dammit, how dare they?!" Ekaterina shouted, standing up and thumping the desk, which cracked. She kicked it, and it fell apart in two halves. "I paid for a satellite, I paid for a plague! When he arrived during the battle of Arrakeen, I protected him from those wretched rebels! I agreed to subsidise their research, damn all things! How dare he?" She kicked one half of the desk aside, and strode through the pieces to a window. She could remember the wretched ambasador's words during their first meeting...

"I'll be frank, m'lady." He had said, "the Ix are neutral. We do not 'side' with anyone. We merely supply to those who pay the most. But I do hope that you will be the highest bidder, m'lady Harkonnen." He had smiled as he said it.

Ekaterina's brow furrowed. That lying, treacherous... It was, she remembered, the first time that Relnev had laid eyes on Aleksandr as well. The boy had been chasing a jug that he had dropped as it rolled across the floor. Hardly a winning impression.

"Fyodor!" She shouted. Immediately, the door to the office swung open. The mentat drifted through. Ah, so he had been listening?

"M'lady?" He asked, his watery eyes slipping back and forth.

"I'm going to do it again." Ekaterina seethed, glaring out at the city. She held the windowsill so hard that it warped beneath her grip. Fyodor walked over to join her. "I'm not finished yet. I've got my guards, I've got some money. I've got a base, and contacts. I've got spies and weapons. I'll end them yet. I'll get them all, even the Baron and Hundro. They won't have a choice but to give me back my position. And then I'll take theirs. You just wait!" She drew back, and smashed a fist through the window. Shards of glass flew outwards. She seized the largest before it could fly out of reach, and snapped her arm back to slash the shard across Fyodor's throat. The mentat's eyes widened, and he made a choking sound as blood began to spurt forth. Ekaterina turned around and walked back to the broken desk as the man fell to the floor, making bubbling noises.

"I'm going to do it on my own this time." Ekaterina hissed. She turned her attention to the twins, both of whom stood at attention. Presents from the Baron... but valuable, far too valuable to just throw away. No, she wouldn't even consider having the twins killed. As Fyodor's final moments passed near the window, Ekaterina beckoned the twins to follow her and strode from the office. Blood ran down her own arm, but she didn't care. That could be seen to at a later date. She walked out into the corridor where, as expected, the more intelligent members of her guard awaited. Upon seeing her, and her expression, they all stood to attention.

"We aren't finished yet." Ekaterina promised.

Arrakis. It could be fun if you worked at it. Ekaterina smiled as she looked down on the city of Arrakeen from her position inside the governor's office. The heavy fabric of the curtains lay on her back, hiding her from the other people in the room. She listened to the voices, waiting for her cue.

"What does the Baron want?" Aleksandr's voice, unusually firm.

"He wants you to get rid of them." Ranith, seductively. "He wants the fremen wiped out, the smugglers slaughtered, and the Trebeis and Huahin sold into slavery."

"I will never let my house fall so low!" An unknown voice. The Trebesian? "The Trebeis will fight you, and we will win!"

"Atilian." The Ixian. Softly, a warning.

"You don't owe anything to these people, Aleksandr." Ranith again. "The Baron doesn't want to hurt you, or your citizens. He'll leave you alone, you can do your job and retire in a few years. All he asks is that you do the job properly. Then you can go back to Grumman, safe and secure. What have these renegades ever done for you? What do you owe them? Why should you get yourself, and hundreds of others, killed trying to protect them?" A pause. "You know it's right." A whisper. Ekaterina could hardly hear her.

The silence stretched. Nobody said anything. Ekaterina tried not to sigh impatiently. It wasn't yet time... She watched the people walk about below, and wondered if they could be killed from here.

"No." Aleksandr. "No." Repeated, stronger. "No, Ranith, I won't abandon them to you. Not for you, not for the Baron, not for me." Ekaterina grinned. "You spent our entire childhood lying to me. The Baron will never keep his word. I'm expendable, and I know it. So I've got nothing left to lose. Go back to the Baron, tell him that I refuse."

Yes! Ekaterina closed her eyes for a moment, basking in bliss. Finally! The little worm had finally gone too far!

"Fine." Ranith's voice. Abrupt and offended. "I thought that perhaps you would still be as spineless as ever, but it appears that you have matured somewhat." Hissing now. "But the Baron is an extremely clever man, brother dear. He knows exactly how to get what he wants."

"He has failed, and so have you." Atilian again? No matter, time to savour the moment... And time to move out.

"We haven't failed yet." Ranith, giving an introduction. Ekaterina let a confident smile slip across her features, before stepping out from behind the curtain.

She was at one side of the room. Ranith leaned on the governor's desk on her right. To her left, the door was surrounded by various people. Two Harkonnen guards, two unfamiliar. Relnev was there, and a man who was presumably the Trebesian. Ekaterina ignored them all as she sauntered across the space between her hiding place and Aleksandr, approaching from behind. Someone gasped, but Ekaterina ignored that as well. Her brother was twitching, so he knew what was about to happen...

"Hello, Aleksandr." She smiled like a crocodile.

"You bitch." Atilian hissed, raising his sword. Relnev stopped him with a gesture. The Ixian looked worriedly at Aleksandr, who was trembling violently now. Ekaterina enjoyed it.

"You please me, Aleksandr." She said slowly, stepping slowly in front of her brother and over to the other side of the desk. Her black hair shone in the sunlight from the window. "You've grown stronger." The governor twitched. "More ruthless. More... Harkonnen." Ekaterina stood in front of Aleksandr. Her voice hardened suddenly. "And that means that you've gone an disobeyed us!" She backhanded her brother across the face. He made no move to stop her. Weak! "You pathetic, worthless piece of desert scum! You owe everything to this House, and you turn on us?!" She hit him again, and again. She beat him about the head as he began to crumple, whimpering. Relnev stepped forward, but was halted by Ranith pointing a sword at his chest. Atilian also moved forward, but he too was stopped by a lazy slash in front of him by Ranith. Ekaterina paid her sister little heed. Either she could keep them at bay of she couldn't. Ranith was unimportant. Panting with effort, she stood over Aleksandr.

"You," she sneered, "are worth nothing. You are less than nothing. What are you?" There was no answer. She kicked him. "What are you?!"

"I'm... I'm less than nothing." Aleksandr whimpered, covering his head with his hands. Ekaterina sneered in disgust. That such slime could have emerged from the same union as herself!

"Less than nothing. You dirt, you peon! You don't deserve the name Harkonnen!" 'You don't deserve a name at all!' She reached down and seized Aleksandr's hair, dragging him upright as he yelped in pain. Holding his bruised face in front of her, she sneered. "Nothing." With her other hand she reached forward and plunged her fingers into his right eye socket, tearing out the goo inside. He screamed, but made no move to stop her. Ekaterina felt temporary remorse that she hadn't taken more time with the actual extraction. Ah well. She thrust the contents of her other hand in front of her brother's face. Blue pulp oozed between her fingers as she crushed his eyeball.

"Blue-eyes." She hissed, listening as the goo popped and squelched. "You despicable little addict. If any further proof was needed to show your utter worthlessness, this is it." She threw him to the ground. Reaching to the scabbard at her belt, she withdrew her rapier.

"Aleksandr." She said, "You are handing complete control of Arrakis to me." She thrust the sword into his foot, causing another scream of pain. "Understand?"

"Yes, yes..." Aleksandr whimpered.

"Good." Ekaterina smiled sweetly. She looked up at the others, and her expression dropped at once. She glared at Relnev. 'Traitor!' "If you weren't here, there would be bloodshed in this room." She scowled. "All of you, leave." She indicated the door. "Except you." She pointed to Aleron. "You will stay here." She finished ominously. Nobody moved. "I said, leave." She repeated.

"I thought something like this might happen." Relnev said, still bearing the same, neutral expression.  Ekaterina turned to face the ambassador.

"Did you really?" She asked rhetorically, kicking Aleksandr as he tried to crawl away.

"Stop that." Relnev said firmly. "He needs medical attention."

"Not at all." Ekaterina smiled brightly. "I've managed to keep scum like him alive for positively weeks in much worse condition."

"Indeed." Relnev replied. He made some small movement in his sleeve.

"What did you just do, Ixian?" Ekaterina glared at Relnev. Her instincts told her to gut him where he stood.

"'Ixian' now, is it?" Relnev grinned. "What happened to 'Ambassador'?"

"Careful how you tread, Relnev, or you'll be wiped out along with the rest of the mongrels on this planet." Ekaterina hissed. What was he doing?

"Thank you for helping me erase all doubts about my decision, Lady Harkonnen."

"What are you prattling about?!" She was angry now, threatened.

From outside came a sound remarkably like that of palace doors being blown apart. Ekaterina turned abruptly towards the door. From the corner of her eye, she saw a blurred movement. Turning back, she was just in time to watch the two Harkonnen guards collapse. Atilian seemed to have the same idea, and drew his sword once again, parrying a blow from Ranith's blade that would have otherwise killed Relnev.

The Ambassador was already reaching for a weapon as Ekaterina lunged forward with a scream of rage. A quick twirl and the man parried her first strike with a quickly extending quarterstaff. The ambassador then brought the staff back around to strike Ekaterina in the midriff as she stumbled, knocking her backwards and to the ground. Winded, she felt furious rage burst a blood vessel somewhere. She would murder him!

Leaping back onto her feet, the Lady darted forward once again, this time with a series of rapid thrusts. Relnev parried each of her blows, preventing her from getting in under the defences of his staff. She growled, and moved faster, dancing clear of each counter attack but unable to get close enough to draw blood. The rest of the room became lost in a sea of red as her rage took over. Taking a risk, Ekaterina lunged once again with the rapier. Relnev strafed to the right and aimed low, tripping her with a blow to the ankle. Even as she fell, she felt a jolting blow to the small of her back. Paralysed, Ekaterina was too busy screaming in mute fury to pay attention to something that Relnev said. What was clear, was that the fight was over.

"And so history repeats itself." Ekaterina murmured, the drumming finally coming to a stop. She looked up, wondering how long she had been lost in memories. The office was empty. She had even sent the twins away.

Hundro had abandoned her once more. But this time, she didn't care so much. She had Athalon. She had an army, and the aid of the Richesians. Her father was dead, and had been for months, but this was no obstacle. House Trebeis was out for her blood, but Ekaterina was not worried. She had defences. She had power. And once she had dealt with them, she would finally remove Hundro from the scene. She should have done that a long time ago. Taking out Aleksandr would be easy, and then... Emperess Ekaterina Moritani? It had a pleasing ring to it. The Lady stood up. Kaitan, Grumman, Arrakis, Ix... all would fall before her might.

Carth's paltry little army had been the first sign. Soon the armies of Arrakis would descend upon Athalon IV. She would be ready. And perhaps, for once, she would win.

The two Nokkers watched grimly as a large group of Freman Approached the gate to the Governor's Residence. Waiting until the desert dwellers reached the entrance, the senior Ducial Guardsman Called out "Halt there. You must make an appointment before admittance can be granted. Please clear the premesis" And lifted his Las-Rifle for good measure. At this, one of the freman stepped forward. The man was Completely covered, head to toe. And he carried a sword, in liue of a Crysknife. Even odder, the sheath and weapon, although wrapped in rags, had a few visible areas. These revealed a highly ornate weapon. The man spoke finally, In a firm, commanding tone. "Lower your weapon, Guardsman. It would look rather badly to have "Gunned down Duke" on your transcrpt. Now, I suggest you allow me entrance." And proceeded to reveal his face. It was the Duke, finally returned after weeks of dissapearance.

"Yes Aleks. I've been with the Freman." The Duke said, nodding to the man. "After I left, I set out for the edge of town. Once I made it out of Arrakeen's Defenses, a group of them came upon me, and attempted to take me for my water. I fought them for a period before they finally realised who I was. They took me to their sietch, where they were already holding a caucus of sorts between the majority of their leaders. I remained with them from then on, attempting to make them see my side of the events from the whole Seth era. And tried to convince them to aid us militarily. Of the 37 leaders there, 34 agreed!" Nodding toward the dusty man sitting in the corner, he continued "This is Ewlla. He will represent the freman here." The man stood up, and nodding at Aleksandr, Spat at his feet. The Former Governor nodded and did likewise back to Ewlla. He smiled and sat back down. "Yes, Trebeis. We beleive that your cause, at least now. Is a Just one. We would like to partake in ythe recapturing of your home." The Freman said.

"But why, do you all agree to this?" Aleks asked the man.

"Well, you have been the best of the off-worlders to come to Dune. We have fought Many of your "Houses", but you, have been differant from these. Our warriors, also are driven by a desire to see these "Great Oceans" Of yours on Athalon. The prospect of this great water, dazzles most of us."

Nodding, Aleks replied "I can understand and respect such a desire. But is this not a large sacrafice for such a thing? My Sister will not just give up Athalon. She has no where else to go. This is the corner that she has been driven into, and she will dig in for all her worth."

"We understand this." Ewlla said.

"Excellant. How long will it take for you and your men to prepare? Is there anything we can supply to you? And how many men will you be abled to assemble?" The Duke said, standing.

"We do not have the organisation and such, that we had under Seth. We should be abled to assemble 50,000 men at best. However, this is if conditions are best. It will be most likely less. I will approach you later with a list of what we are most in need of." Ewlla replied, also standing. "Now I must leave you. We will be in contact." And made for the door. The Duke nodded at him, and turning to Aleks, Asked. "Well, I see you have held things together in my absence."

During the months that past Carth had nearly completed his capital on the planet. Even more important his develepements attracted the locals, and the prospect of enlisting them.

Economicaly the situation was good. The coffers were filling steadily. The only impediment was that commerce attracted pirates, and his men weren't particulary good pilots. So the need was felt to hire mercenaries to a police force that had to defend the routes. They would come in handy if needed against a real foe. These pilots were given land and homes.

The memories of Arrakis were fading fast as he and his men found a new life and a new world. The natives were friendly and regarded the newcomers as their ticket to the universe. A promise towards developement. That is why Carth knew he now could depend on almost 25000 natives if needed.

OOC: Sorry for the very, very long gap. I have had a lot of work in the past few weeks.

On Corrin, things are not going well. Locals have annihilated the scout force that was dispatched. The orbiting force has been partly destroyed. However, they have landed on the planet and they have not been attacked. Yet.

Some things to point out.

1.)So these Freman, with their exceptionally high amounts of resources, got 30,000 of their bretheren off Arrakis? With this event never being mentioned before? Humph.

2.) E-Meks? I understand. You developed and started finalization of a highly advanced piece of machinery, overnight? Once again, Humph.

(O.O.C. --> Dante, stop laughing.)

"Sedating Ekaterina is not the answer, your majesty," Relnev said after an extended pause.  "It does not solve the problem; it merely side-steps it."

The Emperor sipped some more of his drink, postulating.  "You have an alternative, then?"

"Not yet," Relnev said quickly, "but I assure you that she does not deserve half of the things I have heard suggested."

"By the people she subjugates?" Hundro asked rhetorically.

"Not just them," came the reply.  Relnev rose and began to pace about.  "Don't you want to help her, your majesty?"

"Aleks certainly does..." Moritani answered, dodging the question, his face a mix of nonchalance and mild disapproval.

"There are ways of healing the psychological damage done to Ekaterina, Emperor." Relnev pressed.

"I am reminded of an ancient Earth saying," Hundro said, shuffling in the chair to find a more comfortable position.  Relnev stopped pacing for a moment, interested in what the Emperor would come out with.

"A leopard does not change its spots."

"Regardless, I refuse to simply condemn her to a non-life of constant sedation."

"And here I was thinking the Ix were neutral," the Emperor chuckled.

"Neutral among neutral parties, Emperor," Relnev snapped.  "I had hoped to change Ekaterina's methods myself, but I was foolish to think so.  I saw an opportunity in Aleksandr to mend the harm done to Arrakis, and also an ally with some of the same goals."

"Are you telling me that you actually care about what happens to Ekaterina?  After all your vaunted threats and accusations?" Hundro asked, his brow furrowed.  "Why?"

"My reasons are my own, your majesty," Relnev said quietly, his expression unreadable, "but that is the condition I place on the removal of the embargo to the Imperial House."

(O.O.C. --> I said stop laughing! >:()