Next Dune Game Houses/Story

sniper

About the houses in the next dune game. I think first off, Atreides, Harkonnen and Ordos should all be there. As for the Emporer, I think the should be not playable, and an enemy to whatever side you choose, like in Dune2k. BUT, to make things interesting, I would like to see this story line (sort of) implemented. It takes on after Dune 2000.

--------->

First off, for comprehension purposes, I will assume I start with the Atreides.

So, in the main index, i choose Atreids. No problem there. But, in Dune 2000, when I beat it, I (Atreides) got total control of Dune. That means, I beat all three houses (ordos, harkonnen and emporer).

So, the next Dune game should start there, with the player having total control of Arrakis. From here there can be numerous scnerios, such as:

1-after years of mining the spice, Atreides forces have left Arrakis. Then, harkonnen and ordos started to deploy their troops on the planes. Atreides, mad because other houses forces are on their occupied planet, attack them. Then the war starts.

2-the houses start a mass attack on Dune, and Atreides, being un prepared, retreat from the planet. After reasembling their troops, they land on Dune and have a war for the planet

Do you have any other ideas? Like this idea? I think its good. And, on thing I would like to see in the next dune game is the other houses actually beating you in a mission. That is, the mission is imposible to win, and you have to lose, its part of the story.

Umma blue-in-blue

dune.bmp

Why not allow them to play the remnants of House Corrino (Emporer) then?

I say set it after the events of the first book, during a time of social upheaval as the new theocracy is settling in. Corrino fights to regain Arrakis. Atredies fights to maintain it. The Ordos fight for money amd spice more than for any kind of true political power. And the Harkonnen fight for revenge against the Atredies.

well, i never liked the ordos, and they aren't part of the original story, but i think that maybe it should lean more towards the book and away from the game's story. Perhaps their could be a rebellion against The Imperial Atreidies by the landsraad and they have to fight them all off, and you could pick the Atreidies or one of the houses of the Landsraad (like corrino, or harkkonen, or they could still use the ordos). And the Landsraad houses would at first be allied, but as one of them gets ahead of the rest they could turn against them, whoever the player chooses.

I don't agree with you. First of all, the ordos rule! (my nickname says it all) You don't like them because they're not in the novels... so what? The game can't follow the novels, because the story isn't good for a RTS game.

It would be nice for the game to be after the first novel. You can play as either house Harkonnen, Ordos or Corrino. Anyway, your ultimate goal is to annihilate the Atreides and the fremen. Crush Muad'dib and become emperor! You rarely fight against the other two Lansaraad houses (only covert operations). The Bene Gesserit are shifting sides (Irulan might be your ally, but sometimes Paul fools her into thinking he left Chani). You must save the universe from the fremen tyrany and stop the Jihad.

I think it should not be like the books, but have some aspects of the book in the game. Everyone is used to being either Ordos, Harkonnen and Atreides from Dune2k. And, as we all know, Atreides (from Dune 2) are the good guys. Hey, when they capture the Emporer, they put him to trial as compared to harkonnen, where they kill him on the spot.

Another good idea is you, the player, being a mentat of the house. And, with time and battles won, you climb the ranks of your house. Well, we will soon have to see in E3 about Dune 3000, HOPEFULLY. And, if no info. comes from Westwood then, we should start a barrage of emails to the PR guys asking "When is Dune 3000 coming out?". Ha. That will get some answers out of them.

I know, the Atreides are the good guys in Dune 2 (hey! The Ordos don't kill the emperor either!). It's a different story in dune 2k. In the novels, they're worse than the harks. Killing 61 billion people and destroying 90 planets doesn't make Emperor Paul Atreides that good, huh? He said these numbers himself, in the second novel (Dune Messiah). He even compared himself to Hitler ("pretty good for those times" - a quote).

Hmmm, you e-mail barrage is a good idea, but it needs a lot of people. I don't think WW is gonna release dune 3k any time soon...

Ah, but Paul did everything he could to stop the jihad, but nothing short of him along with everyone else in the cave of birds being killed could have prevented it. He did not want the jihad to happen, he just could not stop it, and even if he did it would only have postponed it.

Yeah, but when he got lost in the desert after his father's death, he saw most of the possible futures: he could have picked the Guild way. Joining the Guild would have been good. But noooo, he wanted the Jihad!

Not really. If you remember in the cave of birds just after Paul was saved by fremen and he is beginning to learn his power, he discovers that nothing will stop the jihad unless he kills everyone in the cave of birds (that is 40 fremen, himself, and his mother). If he joied the guild, the jihad would have happened anyway, this way he at least had some control over it. And no matter how powerfull Paul is, and even if jessica helped him, which I doubt, he could never have killed 40 fremen.

Of course he couldn't have killed everyone in the cave of birds (especially Jessica). But what if they never would have been there? The fremen would never know anything about them. They would have no reason to start the Jihad without their Messiah. Who could it be? Besides, he'd have to be the son of a Bene Gesserit (Missionaria Protectiva did a good job). Paul knew about the fremen and the Jihad from his visions. He could have used this information to help the Guild (or anybody else) annihilate the fremen. No fremen, no Jihad.

But Paul didn't realise that by joining the fremen he was garunteing the jihad until after he ate the food with the concentrated spice in the cave of birds. All he knew before then was that he was going to cuase a jihad, but he didn't know how he was going to, or how to stop it. He did not have much choice about joining th Fremen, they are the ones who decided that he would join them, not the other way around. At that time he had no idea that this was the way of the jihad. And his powers are quite different than that of the guilds. They only have glimpses of the future, just enough to steer there ships, while he can see the past, present, or future, or all at once. His powers are different than theres. He is the Kwisatz Haderach, they are not.

So he was the Kwisatz Haderach, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have joined the guild. He had a vision about the Guild welcoming him. Or he could have joined his grandfather, the baron. Of course, that would have been a bit of a problem: convincing the harks to keep him alive long enough to hear what he has to say :) Anyway, he knew he was taking the way of the Jihad. He didn't know how it was going to happen, but he knew it was going to. Just going in the opposite direction would have been enough. He never would have met those fremen. My verdict: Paul Atreides is guilty of crimes against humanity and the biggest war murderer in history. He knew what he was doing. Sentence: very slow, painful death. But first he has to see Chani tortured and killed in front of him. Now you know one reason why I'm an ordos. I wanted to join the "good guys", but after I read the novels I realized how the Atreides really are. Besides, I love the ordos technology. Long live the Cartel!

• 2 weeks later...

Basically it comes down to whether you believe that the end justify's the means, or if the need of the many out wiegh the need of the few. By doing what he did, Paul saved humanity from extinction. They had stagnated. They were dying. The jihad changed that and paved the way for Leto 2 (actually 3) to bring about the scattering which insured humanitys survival for thousands of years. Paul decided that the future was more important than the present.

And the Jihad was the only way??? Let's mix some genes by killing bilions of people! Does that sound normal to you? Besides, weren't the Bene Gesserit alredy mixing genes? Manipulating, actually, but anyway...

My point it that the atreides ARE NOT the "good guys". And the end DOESN'T justify the means. You don't go around killing people to save other lives!!! Even if you know the future. By killing one person, you also erase from existence all the descendents that person might have.

Wow, Erik, taking this a bit seriously for a book/game/movie arn't you? And the Bene Gesserit were seperating the human genes from what they thought the human "animal" genes were, not mixing them. But I say we declare this subject closed, you have your opinion and I have mine and niether of us is going to convince the other to chantge there mind.

And besides, in the end it doesn't really matter, cause it isn't real.

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR! I suggested closing the subject, not you! Trying to steal my idea?! lol, joking. Whats with that dunesquad/warherowimp guy? How come his message was deleted on your board?

Edric, i would just like to point out all the wonderful things war (WWII in particular) do for us.

1) Reduce chance of overpopulation (this may sound cruel but 1 million killed can prevent more than 1 billion births that would cause famine and disease

2) Technological advancement is advanced at an abnormally fast rate

3) Social bonds are created as people with a common cause unite

4) The economy after a war booms (like WWII brought us out of the depression)

5) The possible elimination of an anti-social group would most likely have caused dissention and mistrust

With all these things that we get from war, how can anyone who cares for humanity not agree with me?

And anyways, only paul and alia were corrupt, and paul wasn't really at complete fault.

the self-proclaimed preists were a major cause of the jihad (although paul created them, he didnt want them to do what they did)

If you look at the "pre-treason" Atreidies, you'll notice that although they are not rich, they have fanatic loyalty from their soldiers (because of the good dukes, NOT EMPORER MUAD'DIB!!)

• 4 weeks later...

...did the Harkonnen hate the Atreides because some Atreides leader betrayed a Harkonnen leader in some war? because I think I heard something like that in the Dune encyclopedia... and one more thing, why would the Harkonnen have medics if they're so cruel anyways?...